Can I transfer a Raid 0 array to a new computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by OmegaRED, Nov 16, 2008.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I just bought 2 Seagate 500 gig 7200.11 drives and put them in RAID 0. It's fast as hell and I love it.

Question is, I'm building a new computer (check my specs for details) and I wonder how will I able to transfer this array to the new computer when this one was created with the Ali chipset. I copied all my data from 4 aging drives to this one array so I could toss the old noisy and slow drives out.

My current system is buggy and only has 2 SATA slots and 1 SataII slot (which does not work) so I can't just plug in another drive and backup all my data to it.

2. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

It's, unfortunately, very unlikely - unless you've gone for the same motherboard as you had the last time. Best bet is probably to pick up a USB HDD caddy and put one of your old drives in there to back things up. It'll be slow but it should work...Good Luck!

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

That does solve my problem of not being able to use more than two SATA drives on my current system. Do you have any recommendations for a USB Caddy drive? Preferably something cheap since I doubt I'll use it more than once. I've got a couple of spare SATAII drives just waiting to be used.

4. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Ask someone to lend the caddy or a USB drive if you're gonna use it only once.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's touch and go with even intel ich9r to ich9r chipsets....

the only system where i was able to transfer an already built raid 0 array was when i was using the highpoint tech 360-374 controllers, different controllers and they would load up and work straight away.... quite serprising to me.

get yourself an external USB or Esata HD (Seagate Free Agent or Pro series are excellent, the esata capabilities are insane. fast as hell)