Can PAX drivers change the headphone gain?

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Z/ZX/ZXR' started by blackmesawest, Aug 6, 2015.

1. blackmesawest

blackmesawest New Member

I have a soundblaster Z that has an AMP that's way too loud for my headphones, and there's no way to change the gain mode in the software. But I did come across some lines in the headphone.ini file:

Code:
    Configuration\ExtraHighGain
    Configuration\NormalHighGain
    Configuration\HighGain

Do these actually do anything for the soundblaster Z, or are they just unused lines meant for the ZxR, which has gain control? If they do, how would I the gain, and when would the tweaks apply?

2. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

They for all cards

3. opel12

opel12 New Member

I'm wondering how this works also, so if this is the default:

Configuration\ExtraHighGain(+18dB for 300 ~600ohms)
    Configuration\NormalHighGain(+0dB for <64ohms)
    Configuration\HighGain(+18dB for 64~300ohms)

Does it detect the ohms and apply the gain accordingly? In the ZxR drivers you choose normal or high gain manually, so wouldn't you need an option to choose this manually as well? This looks like an option from Zonar cards and not Soundblaster Z series.

4. blackmesawest

blackmesawest New Member

Gain control doesn't work no matter how I edit the settings. It's a shame since my headphones are incredibly easy for the card to drive (62 ohms), and the volume is ear-splitting unless I set it to 20%. Took the Z back and bought myself a nice DGX for 60 dollars less.

I'm done with Creative products for now, because they only included gain control (that they said themselves was critical for someone to not damage their headphones) with their top of the line ZxR that's 250 USD retail.

Also, I didn't get what Robert meant by the settings being for all cards. I'm guessing the lines were in the PAX drivers for all Z series cards, and he didn't say anything about them being functional? Not sure, especially seeing that his English isn't the best.