Can this be done?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Logla, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

I just got myself a domain and some space to go with it.

What I want to be able to do is create a directory on the server into which I can drop files via ftp. I think I can manage to create a directory but I want to be able to post a link on the front page or whatever that points to the files in that directory.

This is just so that I can add/remove files to the directory without having to manually update the links all the time.

Any ideas.

I should mention that I am of extreme n00bness when it comes to HTML.

2. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

Yes this certainly can be done.

You need a script to handle the upload/download for you and present it in a pleasant manner.

I can point you to a free script that is fairly nice.

I did not write the script.

I do not know the person that wrote the script.

I cannot provide support for this script. (In other words please do not ask me to log into your server and set it up for you) Other than that I will help as much as I can. (Also if something breaks on the script- Like I said I did not write it) please do not complain to me. :cool:

I did read over the script and it seems fairly nice and straightforward for installation.

The script is written in php (so your host needs to support php)

According to this script your host must also support .htaccess (user login/password)

The link to the site is below. The file I am referring to is called DODOUPLOAD Ver 1.2

Code:
    http://www.regretless.com/scripts/
    P.S. And before I get flamed for offering a script. I presumed he wants to have something nicer looking than simply uploading to a public directory on his server and letting the server display the directory tree. (you could do that instead) by using and ftp program like cuteftp or wsftp or winsftp3. Any of those programs will let you upload to a directory on your server. If you then navigate to that directory using a web browser. The browser will display the page like a directory tree.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  3. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Thanks, but thats not really what I'm looking for.

All I want to be able to do have a page that lists the files in a particular directory on the server.
    The page is to display the directory contents. I dont need to have the page password protected

4. Koolaid

Koolaid New Member

Ok say I have a server/domain and its called widget.com. I create a directory called ' bighugs' and I fill the 'bighugs' directory with all sorts of files using my favorite ftp program.

Now my buddy 'Bruthaman' wants to download some of them files I just uploaded to my server.

He navigates his browse to the directory you created which is:

Code:

[/url][url="http://www.widget.com/bighugs"]http://www.widget.com/bighugs[/url][url="http://www.widget.com/bighugs"]

He will see a list of all the files on there that you just uploaded. Now, these files will not be setup in a nice manner, they will simply be listed as a directory tree.

The script I mentioned in the post above needs .htaccess but you can find one that does not require a login, but still has a front end for uploading/downloading files. Obviously at that point there will be almost zero security. But that is your preference.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  5. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Make sure you read your host's rules carefully. Many webhosts don't allow you to use your space as a "file repository" and may cancel you if a significant part of your traffic isn't web page traffic.

if you upload to a folder that doesn't have an index page, most browsers will display the files in a directory view. This may be what you want. For example, check out www.yayitsandrew.com/mirrors . If i were to put an index.php or index.html page in that folder and you went back, you'd default to that page instead of the tree listing.

6. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

all you have to do is once the server is all setup, drop the files in the httpdocs or var/www folder, depending on how it's setup, and if you don't have a index.html page, the domain should just show the directory as a file tree :)

7. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, unfortunatley when I do that I get an error message.

"Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

So I guess I'm buggered

8. md5

md5 New Member