Can you put a Radeon 6670 in a ITX system?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Gastrian, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

My wife has been complaining about my PC for ages and the graphics fan has started to get a bit noisy so am looking at building a mini entertainment PC and relocating my main PC out of the bedroom.

Now I'm considering building an ITX system as one of my wife's main complaints is that my PC is "too big and looks ugly" and the I've seen some ITX cases that look like standalone DVD/Blu-Ray players.

I'm not expecting stellar performance but would like to do some gaming (using Steam Big Picture for example) so was looking at maybe using an A75 chipset with a passively cooled low profile 6670 in hybrid crossfire. As I've never built a PC this small would an ITX PSU power a A10 APU and a 6670 GPU? The only other component would be a 120GB SSD drive.

Also could anyone recommend some really good low profile CPU fans compatible with ITX systems?

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If you're going to be using a discrete card at all, APUs aren't the way to go. You'd be better off with a Pentium and a 7750. And of course the Pentium would be fine with the stock cooler.

As for whether you can fit x graphics card in an ITX system, that really depends on the case. There are also plenty of mini-ITX cases with room for full-ATX PSUs (example).

But if your goal is for it to look like a blu-ray player, there are some nice media centre cases that are full ATX or MATX anyway (e.g. Fractal Node).

3. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

I was more looking at ITX cases the same size as an ATX PSU if not smaller.

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

You're probably going to be looking at an APU without a discrete card at best, then.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

To meet OP's requirement of the whole PC being smaller than an ATX PSU, it would have to be low profile.

I think this kind of case is probably the best fix:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6192/antec-isk-110-vesa-case-review-just-about-as-small-as-it-gets

Or, for passive:
    http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Chassis&type_sub=Mini%20ITX&model=AK-ITX05-BK

But the latter leaves you stuck with a TDP limit of 35W, and is only compatible with S1155, so Intel graphics or bust.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

best bet is likely something with the intel i3 3225 which uses the HD4000 intel HD graphics which @ 1080p.. will give you "meh" fps ..... don't expect any high quality graphics.. but they are potentially tollerable. Alternatively jumping up the i core ladder to something in the i5 or i7 range that uses the more powerful HD4000 would potentially improve performance by a more significant factor. But yet again your basically tide to only that... and if something goes wrong..... bye bye.

Your really cutting it tight with ITX.....

I really personally do not understand how a computer tower can be "to large/ugly" provided it fits the decor of the room it's in. That's like complaining about a refridgorator for being to large and ugly but then in the same breath saying you need the space and cooling it provides.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too sometimes. Sure we'd all love things to be completely intergrated and itty bitty and bulletproof, but we aren't there yet.

Now as blibbax mentioned, idealy you'd be far better off with a mATX form factor case that looks quite like an existing say Stereo Receiver give or take depending on how big you want to go and how much you want to sufficate the crap out of the components that reside inside. Remember, Heat KILLS electronics, and most people neglect to spend that one hour of the month pulling things apart and clean/blowing it all out.

Least with an mATX case .... using half height cards, you can jump even a HD7750 in no problemo... Those pack a pretty damn good wollop @ 1080p.

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

ITX cases in general aren't bad - you can get one with more than enough room for a full-size GPU and an ATX PSU. But mini-ITX cases barely larger than the motherboard itself are only sufficient for very basic systems.