Cannot comment on review page...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by Judas, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've always been fairly puzzled with the decision to post/lock the forum thread that links to the review of a product since the very first one.... seems like this instantly kills comments/discussion on said reviews without creating additional clutter by creating another thread to talk about the review... Looking back over the reviews since this has been done seems to show that it's quite obvious the amount of talk on reviews appears to have pretty much dried up and completely died, keep track of any responses to these things is completely separated/disjointed from the rest of the forum which IMO is completely counter productive.

However I mostly accepted it as a new change and let it ride... but i felt the need to mention it, specially after the recent review post in which there doesn't appear to be any way to comment on the review at all anymore.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/2016/08/amd-radeon-rx-460-review/

Typically scrolling to the bottom of the review would lend you the ability to check on comments and even post one.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If I'm not mistaken...and probably am...I thought Stu mentioned they were doing some work on the situation with the reviews and comments options.

3. Judas

if that's the case.. that'd explain it..

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Yup. Working on it. I haven't made a final decision. What I can tell you is that when we moved from VB to the mix of Xenforo and Wordpress, getting the two to play nice wasn't really possible for comments. So we trialed Wordpress comments and then Disqus... neither were particularly great. Mainly filled with spammers which is a rubbish experience for everyone. (There were hundreds of spam posts to deal with)

As for the future,I'mm thinking we'll just let you guys comment on the reviews in the "official" thread rather than lock them. Will sort it next week once I work out to limit the length of Judas responses :p

5. Judas

it better not be under 10,000 character limit.

Dyre Straits likes this.