Cannot delete an icon....

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by drivehard454, Nov 9, 2008.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Hopefully I am in the right department.

Quite some time ago, I installed adaware 2007 on my computer. After running the scan and finding nothing, I tried to delete the program. After uninstall, I had an icon on my desktop (aaw2007) which will not delete. When I try to delete, I get a popup that states, [cannot delete It is being used by another person or program]. When I search for the main file, I find it and it's empty and cannot delete it either. I have left it on my desktop fo rsome time, and it's finally bugging me again.

I am sure it is a simple step for removing it, but I am not sure what to do.

Some help please?

Thanks

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Nice and simple, it worked.

Thanks again BlueMak

4. Trusteft

You are welcome.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Just out of curiosity, what makes and icon 'impossible' to delete in the normal fashion? I've had a very few instances of this, or something similar, but usually just boot up into Safemode to make sure the program isn't running. That nearly always takes care of the 'being used' issue.

OR, I can check the Start Up folder to make sure it's not being called for during bootup into Windows.

CCleaner is quite helpful, too.

6. Trusteft

I don't know the mechanics behind it, but usualy some registry line can cause an icon to not delete itself. How, I don't know.

Thankfuly Dr Delete hasn't encountered an icon or file that won't delete itself yet. Though I haven't used it under vista to know if it works there.

The problem is when it re appears due to how a program works. I had a adsl modem for which you needed to install its official drivers (XP) to work properly. The problem was that if you did then you would get two icons/shortcuts on the desktop and while you could delete them and even stop anything similar from the startup and ini files of windows, the little annoyance would just re appear after a fresh reboot, unless you uninstalled the program. What made it worse was that the specific shortcut was useless.

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

8. Trusteft

It's more minimal than dr delete? how is that possible?

After checking the screenshots, I was right. Dr Delete is much better :)

9. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Dire, when I did go into safe mode, I could not even find the aaw2007 icon nor the file. But when I reboot, it was there on the desktop again and when I searched, I found the file with nothing in it.

I use ccleaner every couple days, and also tried to delete through the program, no luck.

I am wondering if someone can help me with this one. I downloaded a program to make custom icons for the desktop for a few shortcuts that just had the standard explorer icon. Anytime I open a program, any program, not the ones with the new icon, and close it, my icons disappear and there is just a bin file showing in its place.

When I restart the pc, my custom icons are back. Been trying to get this one on my own and am having trouble again.

Any ideas?

Thanks