Cant set permissions on my mount points

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Zulan, May 30, 2004.

1. Zulan

Zulan New Member

i made a mountpoint in the /mnt directory, and i linked it to my /dev/hdb7 partition on my second disk.

funny thing is when it is mounted i can't set permissions , even when using the root account, so i unmount it.
    when it's not mounted i can set my permissions, and when i mount again my permissions are gone again, :(

so now i can only read my mounts when using my root account and not my normal account.

so anyone what's the deal?

2. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Well, a cheesy solution would be to either add yourself to the group that can access the mount point or change the owner of the folder using chown.

It seems odd that it would do that though. What exactly do you mean by linking to /dev/hdb7? You're just refering to mounting that device to a certain directory, not a soft link, correct?

3. Zulan

Zulan New Member

/dev/hdb7 is my second harddrive's 4th partition, but i'll try your solutions, thanx.

4. Zulan

Zulan New Member

nope your solutions didn't work, so i asked my friend who's kind of a "linux Guru" , it's working now with this line in /etc/fstab

/dev/hdb7 /win-g vfat umask=0000,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noexec,nosuid 0 0

5. DocterDee

DocterDee New Member

set umask=0 in your fstab

6. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Now that just looks nasty. Didn't know you were mounting via fstab. I only mount my other drives when I need them, so I never really touch the fstab file.

7. Gh0st3d

Gh0st3d New Member

I would get rid of that mess and just put ... /dev/hdb7/ /mnt/harddrive4(or whatever) ext3 (or whatever the file system is.. vfat whatever) default(or noauto) 0 0

you don't need the umask (diagnostic purposes only for chmod) or iocharset unless you need to to see non english names.
    or if this is DOS type partition then I would use these in place of defaults: rw,nosuid,dev,exec,noauto,user,async