card with the most number of analog input

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hozone, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hozone

hozone New Member

hello,

i would like to know which is the card with the most number of analog (not digital) input (recording using ASIO).

at least i need 4 mono.

actually i'm using 1 live! but i'm able to record only from 2 mono input.
    i've read that 1 audigy can manage 4 analog input.

regards,
    hOZONE

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

An audigy will give 4 inputs, if it has the audigy drive I/O you would have 6 from the one card..... add to that your live connected via spdif and you would get 8 analog inputs (6 without the audigy drive I/O)

3. gtardirt

gtardirt Member

You can get 4 mono inputs from just an Audigy or Audigy2 alone using the Profx ADC plugin. If you have a matching "Drive" for either of these cards, you'll have 4 more mono inputs--for a total of 8--all analog.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Yeah.... sorry I missed 2 on the I/O drive...... it is 8

*mumbles incoheriently*

:duh: goes back to his cave. :duh:

5. gtardirt

gtardirt Member

Also, hOZONE, if you were to get your hands on a Drive for your Live!, you would add 4 inputs to the 2 on the card for a total of 6, as long as your Live! is a model with the AUD_EXT header on it. You could use either a Live! Drive or an Audigy Drive with your Live!, but not an Audigy2 Drive.

Live!=*2* (analog inputs)
    Live! with Live! Drive or with Audigy Drive=*6*
    Audigy or Audigy2=*4* (using Profx's ADC plugin)
    Audigy with Live! Drive or with Audigy Drive=*8* (using Profx's ADC plugin)
    Audigy2 with Audigy2 Drive=*8* (using Profx's ADC plugin)

For the most analog =outputs=, you can get *10* of them with an Audigy2 ZS and an Audigy2 Drive.

There. I =think= I have all of that right. If not, well, how big is that cave, Tyrsonswood, and how close is it to Oregon?:)

6. hozone

hozone New Member

thank you for your replay... now i've understand!

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

if you have onboard sound with a digital output header on the motherboard, it's possible to connect that to an input on your kX card for an extra two inputs

8. babinosman

babinosman New Member

@ gtadirt.i have audigy and i have 4 mono input's (line in and mic).i can't understand why you say that we have to use ProFX...Isn't the job done if we use ac97->I2S routing?
    @ dj_stick i have onboard AC'97 chipset sound.Is it possible to have that two extra inputs you are talking about?
    ty all for your answers

9. gtardirt

gtardirt Member

I don't know what you mean by ac97->I2S routing, so I can't tell you if the job can be done that way. My understanding was that you needed the ADC plugin from ProFX in order to use more than one pair of the ac97 inputs at a time. I would be interested in learning how it can be done without ADC though, not that I'd necessarily stop using it if I did know a way that didn't require it (I kind of like it:)). Is there any advantage to getting 4 inputs in the way you're talking about? Would you describe the method for me?

Edit: Now that I think about it, isn't "ac97->I2S" what the ADC plugin does? Seems like I read something like that somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

yes, amongst a few other things.

Indeed, you do not need ProFx ADC to get the second codec on 10k2 cards working.
    (allthough that was not always the case. Way back in previous driver versions, the ac97->I2S switch didn't always work and people had to input 'scary' command line switches to get the UDA to work.)

ADC comes in the line of ProFx I/O plugins ( adc,src,kxlt,asio ) and should be used accordingly.
    That is; while "Not using kX Mixer Pages".

11. babinosman

babinosman New Member

That's exactly!i have a 10k2 audigy card and i get 4 input without using ProFX.
    The procedure is this: I Go to kxmixer --> AC97 tab --> check AC97->I2S routing.then choose from the drop down menu <<Mic>> . unmute ONLY the GAIN and the Line in.All others are muted.Now i get from my Prologlt 4 monophonic inputs(aka 2 stereo: line in & mic)from connectors AC97_L & AC97_R & i2S1_L & i2S1_R )
    I don't think there is any advantage from using this methode AFAIK.

12. gtardirt

gtardirt Member

OK, I see. Thanks for the info.

And if there are any advantages to using one method over the other, it's that with the ADC plugin, you can control levels etc. right in the DSP and without having to open the kxmixer, right? And aren't there resource advantages to using ADC? Are there any other advantages to this method?

13. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

The main reason I wrote the ProFx I/O plugins is to eliminate kxmixer pages usage.
    So if one is perfectly happy with kxmixer pages, there is no advantage in using ProFx IO plugins. ( the total savings in resources vary and are generaly very small )