Cardistry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

So so far I know two ways to fan, and 3 single handed cuts - the Charlier cut, the Scissor cut and the Revolution cut (using my left hand, which by the way was useless before, I am solely right handed and now this cardistry thing is making me ambidextrous :D ).

Also I know how to do a single handed Card Twirl, not very well though, so it doesn't look as flash. Also my single handed cuts don't look as smooth, and I can't do them one after another quickly back to back.

But you gotta start somewhere, I'm finding this whole cardistry journey fun and very rewarding, when I first started I was like open youtube video, watch, close youtube video, cry. I went to bed a few nights ago saying "this is impossible, impossible I tell you, how do they expect me to do that!?" and "my hands are WAY too small!" which apparently is something most cardistry students say no matter how big their hands are, my hands are very large btw and I just realized there are things your other fingers are doing at all times in order to make certain moves possible. It all boils down to lots and lots of practice, muscle memory and the sub conscious working while you're not doing anything.

Right now my fave deck is the Killer Bees deck, but I also use my Aurelians because they are harder for me to do tricks on and I find if I practice with them despite sucking with them and move back to the Killer Bees I've improved an order of magnitude. The Aurelian deck is more springy and each card is thinner, slightly than the Killer Bees which don't get me wrong, are still very thin but are a lot stiffer. Can't wait to get my other decks which I will open and explore more different feeling of other different decks, I've noticed that basically cards all have different feel and handling.

Edit: One other thing I've also realized, one flourish will usually depend on knowing another flourish to complete it, with the most basic ones, based on knowing the proper grips.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    PurpleRose1 likes this.
  2. PurpleRose1

PurpleRose1 Immortal

Well Allan, I never knew there was an art to cards and here I'm supposed to be an Immortal. I guess even Immortals are ignorant in some things, just goes to show that there is always something new to learn..

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Yes, I almost gave up a few nights ago, but then I watched a video of this girl who basically started cardistry 3 years ago, and she luckily recorded herself when she was just starting out, she was as bad as me, in fact, she quit for 3 months and now she is a pro at doing cuts and flourishes, and that got me back into it, now I'm doing cuts I thought were nigh on impossible at first. It is wonderful, next I want to learn some more fidget moves, for real this time, I kind of gave up in the middle last time. :)

PurpleRose1 likes this.
  4. PurpleRose1

PurpleRose1 Immortal

So true, I am unique, one of a kind, last of the True Ones. :rolleyes:

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :p :p :p

:D

Edit: Sorry, but it's easy for your head to swell doing this kind of stuff. :)

PurpleRose1 likes this.
  6. PurpleRose1

PurpleRose1 Immortal

Laugh all you want Calliers, I will never forget you laughed.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Oh my, sounds like I'm in trouble now. :(

PurpleRose1 likes this.
  8. PurpleRose1

PurpleRose1 Immortal

Nah, you are not in trouble my friend. I was laughing as I typed the never forget you laughed part. :p

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Yay!!!! :D

Some times I just can't read you, knowing which things to say which can upset you and which things won't, you can be as sensitive as good 'ole Dave at times Deni. :p

PurpleRose1 likes this.
  10. PurpleRose1

PurpleRose1 Immortal

Come on Allan, you are too sensitive. You should know me by now, 99.0% of the time I go with the flow, well ok, maybe 98%. Please I'm not like anyone else. That's why you like me. :)

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

So true. ;)

12. Calliers

So far today I've learned a fidget move called Ferris that I can do rather well minus the uber flash when done just right, but he said of course that comes with practice, it still feels good to do and my first two handed cut which is really 3/4s of a failed nameless two handed cut I was trying to learn that apparently is so basic it is considered a fidget move (I just close it early), I am sooooo bad!!!! But always getting better! :D

My Killer Bees and Aurelians are both slightly curved now if you look closely and apparently bent cards don't stop you doing flourishes, they just mean a deck's been used, my Aurelians have also really been nice to use now that I've broken them in, the Bees came broken in from the box, which explains why they felt so nice to handle right out of the box.

Edit: I've also been practicing the single handed cuts I know and now I'm pretty good with the Charlier cut, a lot better with the Scissor cut (it is now smooth) and although I can do those two well enough for how long I've been at it, I am still STRUGGLING with the Revolution cut, the bigger brother to the Charlier cut.

But I'll get it. Last night when I was going to bed, I closed my eyes and all I saw was cards being cut in cool ways. So I know my sub-conscious is at play here too. Revolution cut, I will learn you if it's the last thing I do!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    PurpleRose1 likes this.
  13. PurpleRose1

PurpleRose1 Immortal

I'm proud of you my friend. I can't wait to see you in action.

Calliers likes this.
  14. Calliers

Thank you!

Right now trying to learn a new flourish called Quick Book, it is basic enough, but looks super flashy, it will be my first two handed cut flourish once I get it down.

I can already do it, but very very slowly, otherwise I drop cards. The tip is not to go for speed in the beginning, but rather, smoothness.

15. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

ba3976041e7b0449fb0e1bfafaf5dc81.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  16. Calliers

Mr Cairo likes this.
  17. center_table

center_table Active Member

Dang, Cardistry is really hard. I wish I could do those card flips! :(

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

IKR... I'm learning, just takes practice and lots of it!

clubrope likes this.
  19. clubrope

clubrope Well-Known Member

My friend can do it tho he's not a veteran at least he fooled me. LMAO

Calliers likes this.