CATALYSTâ„¢ Control Center Rate and Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 2, 2004.

?

Rate Catalyst Control Centre

1. 10 (best)

19 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. 9

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 8

26 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. 7

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. 6

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. 5 (average)

25 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. 4

14 vote(s)
    7.4%
  8. 3

20 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. 2

11 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. 1 (worst)

46 vote(s)
    24.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I hate it.

Nice idea, but at the cost of 50 to 80 MB if system ram being used at all times, to me it is a total disappointment..

Just the fact that .NET and ASP.NET STATE SERVICE need to be installed and running all the time is bad enough, then all the system resources it hogs puts the final nail in the coffin.

I hate bloatware, and there is no other name for this control panel.. If there isn't a way to make it work without using 50mb of system ram, then there is no reason to have it on my system.

Let's not forget that newer games hog memory like crazy, and now you need a full gig to avoid stuttering (D3, FarCry, and HL2 will be the same I am sure)--- now the video card control panel alone wants 50mb?

If not for that fact it would be much easier to take. I will probably experiment with it and then uninstall it. I don't care about all the profiles and whatnot, I just want a clean bloat-free interface to adjust my settings before I play a game and then I want to shut the thing off and forget about it-

The video card control panel should not need the same amount of memory the entire operating system needs. I still can't believe it. What were they thinking?

2. M_A_D

M_A_D New Member

something i don't get is why people are complaining over .net...

it may be that it uses a bit more resources but you will see that it will become more and more important in the future...
    i for one think that there is no real way around it...

as for C³: i think it is nice, especially for the not-so-experienced users that don't know what AF is... they can now see what this does...
    it is definitly in need of some bugfixes and improvments (resource-eating-wise), but i think it has potential...

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Screen mess/blank sounds like smartgart taking longer to check things than normal. Shouldnt happen again after the first boot.

The exe's are explained here: http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=434242#post434242

4. heffeque

heffeque New Member

will it work with 4.9? I realy don't know why people complain about .Net either. It's a magnificent tool (for programers) and end users won't know if it's even running!

5. HawK

HawK Banned

Are you sure? AFAIK MS abandoned it almost completely..
    And see no reason for a registry interface should use that much recourses

6. M_A_D

M_A_D New Member

where have you got that from? :confused:

they just released .net framework 1.1 sp1 and are currently working on .net 2.0...

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

.net is far from being abandoned. MS are pushing a lot of future products towards this.

8. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

Umm, no man, I believe you have the wrong information. The truth is exactly the opposite; MS has its entire corporate future based on .NET and relevant languages. You may be confusing it with certain .NET based technologies that were announced by Microsoft but were never materialised.

If you have seen the latest two (if my memory serves me right) releases of Visual Studio (Microsoft's premier development tool), they are all based on .NET languages and writing managed code. Even DirectX is going there sooner or later (I bought a book recently on Managed DirectX, should make an interesting read).

9. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I haven't tried it but when it's asking me to download .Net, I'm not too thrilled. I'm only looking forward this for the application profile. How is that?

10. HawK

HawK Banned

Oh ok.. then why it isn't in XP-SP2 ? if it is that important ?

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well I cannot even get this thing to work-

Now that I am trying to experiment with it, I see that I have no control over ANY of the driver settings. I did a clean install of the drivers after uninstalling to regular cats..

I obviously have some service that this thing needs turned off. Anyway- it doesn't work and is throwing up a bunch of errors even after turning .NET and ASP service on and rebooting.

I get these errors. By the way every other app on my PC works perfect.

I don't have this PC networked so I turn off all the extra services I don't need- It looks like on top of the insane amount of memory, I need a whole bunch of extra services turned on..

I'm not even going to start to try to figure out which ones it needs and which ones it doesn't.... I imagine the "sever service" is one of them, who knows what other ones it needs..

I guess when there is more info about it or ATI decides to make a list of needed services, I will try it again.. Oh well.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (52)
    Event ID: 4356
    Date: 9/2/2004
    Time: 9:14:45 am
    User: N/A
    Computer: -
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 80040154.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (54)
    Event ID: 4353
    Time: 9:14:45 am
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System attempted to fire the EventObjectChange::ChangedSubscription event but received a bad return code. HRESULT was 80040201.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: PerfNet
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2004
    Time: 9:15:02 am
    Description:
    Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

Data:
    0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À

Event Source: WmiAdapter
    Event ID: 4099
    Time: 9:15:03 am
    User: -\xxxxxx
    Description:
    Open of service failed.

Event Source: PerfNet
    Event ID: 2004
    Time: 9:15:34 am
    Description:
    Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

Data:
    0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Ive tested quite a few versions of this driver, including the very first version which was sluggish, you are going to need to try a reinstall of the driver BWX, those errors shouldnt happen.

13. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing the average PC user didnt need it until now. By the end of the year drivers for up to 50%-60% of the gfx market will use it... at that point i would imagine MS will plan to add it into SP3.

14. M_A_D

M_A_D New Member

i honestly don't know... i think they should have included it...
    but it is on windowsupdate...

15. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

Simply because in Service packs Microsoft incorporates critical fixes and (in SP2 in particular), brand new features. Since at the moment none of the programs that accompany Windows XP is not based on .NET, MS has decided not to bundle it together with the SP2 (same with their SP1 release). But it is still available on Windows Update, I am sure you've noticed.

Hope it makes sense :)

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Damn I meant to put that post over here- http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=54849

But anyway, the drivers actually work, I just played CMR4 to test and it works fine, just the new CP doesn't work.. I will try to re-install later-

I think it's because I have my services stripped down and extra ones turned off though.. Not default at all. http://www.blackviper.com/

Oh well, I will try again, and install the new CP with the .Net and ASP service running, if it still doesn't work it needs more services and I don't know which ones. I'll have to email ATI or maybe CAT MAKER knows?

Other than that I will have to do some tedious trial and error that will take a long time. -or maybe it will work after a reinstall.. have to wait and see.

17. HawK

HawK Banned

Yah, it is all fine and dandy, but to install a *what is basicly a registry interface* and losing about 100k (including .net, although the Lord nows how much really) just to run it is a bit over the top for me.. not to mention the 13 times it want to go on the net (included the installer)
    [​IMG]

But any one who has lots of recourses, use it if you like, but it is not my taste, I for one aint so sure .Net is really safe and if I can't control it, i'm not using it, even if it means I have to use the Catalyst/CP 4.12 for the rest of my ATI day's :bleh:

18. PolygonParadox

PolygonParadox New Member

Just enabling the .NET services will not resolve anything. You have to set up your user/admin account with the .NET passport username/password.

19. Kombatant

Kombatant Active Member

I will quote Spyre from the Rage3D forums:

20. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.