CATALYSTâ„¢ Control Center Rate and Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 2, 2004.

?

Rate Catalyst Control Centre

1. 10 (best)

19 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. 9

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 8

26 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. 7

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. 6

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. 5 (average)

25 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. 4

14 vote(s)
    7.4%
  8. 3

20 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. 2

11 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. 1 (worst)

46 vote(s)
    24.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petri1

petri1 New Member

so tell me you who knows more about different small apps tha i do

nr1 .net is it possible to be more likley to break in to peolpes computers using it?

nr 2 if i upgrade memory to 1024-1,5gb will my games and comp run better using .net and CCC??

nr3 should i get rid of both right now to be sure no hacker uses .net as a portal to get in to peoples computers??

nr4 What ya think ATI thinks of all this negative criticism??

nr5 will they re do it so it dosent eat all of my ram i have 512mb and not even 300mb ram free now with .net and CCC shall i install fresh 4.8´s only???

thanks guys for anmswers to help me since i am bound to 512mb ram i need to know what to do?

2. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

So by all these responses it's probably best to just stick with Radlinker then? And it will be optional to install ccc won't it; or will it take the place of the ati cp in the future?

3. xdanielx

xdanielx New Member

i'd like to install this new CCC, is necessarily uninstall omega drivers?

4. kovenantGR

kovenantGR ATI Beta Tester

this is the future of drivers managment

its only the begining of great software so be kind, test and enjoy it

I am sure that after some months it will be copied by other driver developments too ;)

these are the very first steps of ACE and it has a lot of future - be sure.....

dont forget to report issues to ATI and before that plz check your system for other issues (software and hardware instabillity)

5. croky

croky New Member

I don't get it. Making a native runtime with Visual C or Delphi will give you the same (or more) capabilities to build a Control Panel like this one or even better, and without "eating" so many resources . Why all the trouble to install this .net framework just for changing regestry keys ? Is ATI trying to support (hence "sell") this Microsoft doubtful architecture ?
    I'll stick with normal CC and R3DTweaker for now, in fact this combo is more powerful than this new bloatware toy ....

croky

6. m03

m03 New Member

BWX --- If you used blackvipers guide then your COM+ Event System and Server services will be turned off. You'll need to re-enable these based on the log you posted. Just keep chasing the logs if you want to get it working.

I think I'll wait for a while before installing these.

7. some

some New Member

Sometimes when saving the preferences made to CCC, gives an error three times.

I have been waiting for long time a refresh lock menu for Radeon cards to Control Panel/Center. And every resolution should have own value, not the same for all like it's now. Thanks.

8. CruNcher

CruNcher New Member

I don't know why so much people go against this actually im happy that they didn't scraped the Legacy Control Panel right away and put the CCC as a additional downlod (puh). It was obvious from their closer corporation with Microsoft that something like this comes out and im sure some of the Old generation C++ coders @ ATI are not happy with this .NET thing either, sure .NET is much easier in terms of production pipelining see all the .NET apps that come out in weeks but it takes to much of the inherits like Memory Managment and such from the User and optimization is nearly impossible. Low level hardware coding is damned by Microsoft, because also for several economical reasons like Ngscb for example wich will get into our lives sooner or later.
    They take the Power from the next Generation to control them better
    and you will maybe lough now but why do you think Microsoft made the Xbox Psychological reasons, that alot of you never would understand tough, it's for preparing the next Generation of Coders on Microsofts Products.

But Microsoft has one problem with all their plans "The Old Microsoft Generation" :D wich alot of moving to Unix/Linux and it's derivates lately to prepare for the bigest Battle in Computer history, that will come in the next years and even if they don't do this from work where Microsoft Products are dominate they will give Microsoft a blody fight and things in Productivity on the Desktop will be created that Microsoft never have ever dreamed of in their Research Divisions.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  9. ghost_zero

ghost_zero New Member

for all those who are against .net .
    If you would understand .net more you would like it...

but even if... I think you need to deal with it... Win2003Server already had the .net Framework included
    AND for the next Windows (Codename Longhorn) it will probably be that only .net applications will run and all other need a compitability mode...

Btw. and if I am right... .net IS included with SP2.... it should also have been included with SP1a if I am right...

Reason is: security... with .net you have much more security than with native applications... native applications can basically do everything... but with .net the applications are have to follow rules... virus can be under control... the may be under the .net environment... but can't spread into all programs and the whole system...
    Also .net is completely free... specifications are free and compilers a.s.o.
    .net is very similar to JAVA... although .net can also be used for more languages... for JAVA you can only use JAVA...
    I personally like .net, because it is also not that slow... it works so that every function when it is used gets compiled during runtime - the first time it gets use, or you can also pre-compile it - and then you have access to this function as long as the program runs without another re-compiling to native code necessary...

But what I don't understand ist: why the control panel need to keep running in the background... I think it should be only used for making changes and then if you close it... it will be closed... so it also want take any RAM anymore...

Btw. where do I find the overclocking possibilities of the Control Center?

One other thing... I still don't get what is so special on the Control Center? That are the same settings as with Control Panel... I didn't find any new yet...

As said I have nothing against .net BUT why does the Control Center need to run in the background? That doesn't makes sense... does it... if it only runs when I change settings the memory it uses doesn't really interest anybody because I close it before I start the game.. but why does it run in the background? So it uses memory although I don't need it anymore?

@CruNcher:

btw. NGSCB will not even make it into Longhorn because the hardware and software manufacturers are not willing to make hardware/software for NGSCB :)

10. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

60meg footprint for a control panel?.. hahahahah I think not. I'll be passing on this 'upgrade' and will not install .net on my rig. I just hope Omega makes it a option and we don't get forced to use this bloatware. Amazing.. what a disapointment. :x

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2188&p=2
    "There are a couple of downsides to going with .NET for a graphics driver user interface. First, the client and server are constantly running. Second, the .NET framework from Microsoft is required (available via Windows Update). These aren't major kinks, but they definitely are not desirable. Probably the most annoying issue that we ran into is that installing the .NET framework made it such that our main user account didn't auto-login anymore. This was easily fixed and not that big of a deal (and it's also Microsoft's problem).

The 60 or 70 extra megs of memory used and multiple extra processes running are not what resource snobs are going to want to see, but ATI provided us a FAQ that addresses multiple questions about resources. They state that the CCC will release any memory that it occupies if another process requests it. We don't have a good way of testing this right now, but we can say that we haven't observed any performance drop in games due to the new UI. Maybe we should run Winstone to see if it impacts normal usage models."

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Actually it does work, just certain things like the skins do not work. :rolleyes: I was looking in the wrong place for the actual driver controls.

As stated, you don't need a .net account set up- the other guy had it working without that, as I assumed I have a service disabled that the CP needs to function properly..

When I get back I will reinstall, or get the service running that it needs..

A SIDE NOTE-
    Now when I start my PC I only have 130mb of ram taken up, before it was 180mb, then the second time 150mb, now 130mb? Something weird going on.... If it only takes up to 130mb (all together w/ rest of winXP), when before I was at 106 to 118 (w/o CP), that isn't near as bad as it first was- \\\\

If that's the case it isn't quite as bloated as I first though.. I won't know until I get it working properly though. I hope that is the case, I can live with 20mb to 25mb, 50mb to 70mb is way too much though..

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Load up Doom3 and type in command to see memory usage, or do the same thing in FarCry. Crank settings and only use 512mb of system ram- test before and after CP installation..

The game will be using the page file anyway, but you would be able to see if it is stuttering more or less w/ or w/o the CP installed... Hopefully what they say is true..

Couldn't you even test it with a huge Photoshop image and the task manager?? I'll test when I get back in a while..

13. tornado=[GSW]=

tornado=[GSW]= Compulsive HW Monger

Its a good beginning but I still don't see the logic of releasing it to the general public with so many issues, when at the same time ATI is taking a strong stand against leaked drivers.Shouldn't this be with the beta testers first or is ATI just trying to play the catch up game with its competitors, also what happens to the modded driver sets, will they still be able to function with all their tweaks and stuff, like Omega who has his own custom CP

14. CruNcher

CruNcher New Member

One thing for sure the 1 Year Development time they stuck into this they better should have put into a better unix/linux driver :(

15. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

I get more lag in games with this new Control Center. Make sure that your ASP .Net State is enable to automatic in your services. I give this a 5 its a step to the right direction, but Catalyst needs to take lesson from UniAN they have fixed many issues than Catalyst.

16. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I'm gonna have to give these a low score.

First off, let me say that I DO have .NET 1.1 installed, but I have the .NET thingy removed from the 'users' screen.

The initial install went fine, but after rebooting, accessing the Advanced section of the Display Properties caused a B.S.O.D. (on WinXP no less). After a second reboot, it was fine.

This new control panel seemed slow and clunky to me. It takes longer to get to the various settings and I don't care for the way it's set up. It doesn't seem as intuitive as the old one.

When I uninstalled it, it totally goofed up the Display Properties and it would B.S.O.D. again. I had to completely remove the drivers and reinstall them before things went back to normal.

I just hope they will be more refined in the official Catalyst release. Especially if they are going completely switch to this style. It seems too buggy and slow at this point.

I give them a 3.

17. Danhill

Danhill New Member

I gave them a 9 cause I really like them and I haven't come across any bugs.

18. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Guys and Gals I have your problem sovle with mem issue for CCC :) used [size=-1]www.outertech.com/index. php?_charisma_page=product&id=7 It lets you lower your rams with apps settings to bare min :) I love this program works great. I don't why this is green but I think I copy and paste link from google lol. I have about hour left on my download I think this going be an awesome product. Thank god I gotton 9600xt video card :p that has Overdrive on it.
    [/size]

19. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its green because you are using the WYSIWYG editor and its copying the font styling, typeface etc out.

A tip for everyone who is seeing behaviour like this, when you copy and paste into your editing panel for typing, select all your text with CONTROL A, then hit the little icon with the red X right next to the font name. that removes all formatting.

20. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

i must say i like it, although it has a nasty habit of crashign my PC if i try to open the legacy CP along with the CC...lol..not a problem...just an unexpected failure...lol but all in all...grade A...i give it an 8

i also adore .NET myself..it's very simple...sure it sues rescources..but i am never gunna touch all my computer do..so why not let .NET use a bit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.