Catalyst 10.6 windows 7 64bit

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by iron86, Jun 18, 2010.

1. iron86

iron86 New Member

Hi all!
    I have Sony Vaio vgn-nw21mf/p, video card HD 4570, OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    Using DH Mobility Modder.NET 1.2.1.0 fails to modify driver Catalyst 10.6_win7_x64 and fails to install on a laptop.
    Prompt please, if anyone knows something!!!
    thanks

2. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

What driver you have before installation 10.6 ?

3. iron86

iron86 New Member

Îòâåò: Re: Catalyst 10.6 windows 7 64bit

Catalyst 10.3_win7_x64, patched

4. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Maybe Mobility Modder.NET 1.2.1.0 is not yet compatible with new driver 10.6. In that case you will need to wait for upgrading the Modder. BTW why dont you try some older driver than 10.6, and I dont know how it works because release notes of ATI drivers say that Sony VAIO notebooks are not supported (please check with your notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks).

Regards.

5. iron86

iron86 New Member

Îòâåò: Re: Catalyst 10.6 windows 7 64bit

thanks for the help!
    Regards.

6. avefyre

avefyre New Member

7. iron86

iron86 New Member

Îòâåò: Catalyst 10.6 windows 7 64bit

I'm from the same shaking and tried to install .... patched or patched - unsuccessfully, to set only the Setup Manager and the driver itself is not

8. richardhula

richardhula New Member

10.6 Catalyst Software Suite installed ok on my Acer TravelMate running Win 7 x64 with HD 3470 card.

Get Vista/Win 7 x64 version here checking your card is listed. You don't need MM as this is already Mobility version.

I upgraded from 10.4 & had to use uninstall option first which then requests reboot - ran setup again to install & after another reboot Device Manager showed card as HD 3400 series with 8.741.0.0 drivers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. iron86

iron86 New Member

Îòâåò: Catalyst 10.6 windows 7 64bit

Thank you all!
    Problem solved - downloaded the driver again on the link that I gave avefyre and everything worked.

10. EAKMotorsports

EAKMotorsports New Member

thx for the link. Gonna try on my Toshiba.

11. rdlf2048

rdlf2048 New Member

:confused:
    What? So you mean that MM tool is useful only in case ATI`s desktop drivers are available? If yes, so what is MMs real job? a desktop-to-notebook driver converter?

Same with my HD4200 on my aspire 4540, the device manager now lists my display adapter as `ati mobility radeon hd4200 series` now instead of `AMD M880G with ati radeon hd4200` from the previous (OEM) driver but I did not use MM as my IGP is still unsupported so I had to switch to atis official catalyst mobility driver version 10.5. Is it enough or should I get MM tool either way to have a better graphics performance at all? (Terry makedon once said that catalyst mob. driver only works as a generic driver. does MM tool change that?)

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That's pretty much it. In order to have a successful driver installation, the driver must support the architecture of your card, as well as be able to recognize it's device ID.

Generally, the Mobility cards are built on the same architecture as the contemporary desktop cards, but until recently the driver installation didn't have the device IDs for mobility cards, so the Mobilities were not recognized as supported and the installation would fail. That's where Mobility Modder would come into play by adding what is necessary for the installation to succeed.

Since a few months ago, the official ATI's Catalyst drivers support most Mobility cards (except where laptop manufacturers objected) and for them there is no need to use Mobility Modder.

13. rdlf2048

rdlf2048 New Member

Hi, thank you for your time and your reply. I read your answer but it just triggered other questions in my mind.
    Currently, ATIs official driver download page now states:
    The following notebook graphics products are supported in this release:
    (mine)
    it also says
    And:
    1: so now I`m wondering WHY there is this restriction from OEMs regarding atis IGP driver updates. I don`t get it, somebody get this clear why do the ati graphic team still have their hands tied with them?!
    2: One other thing, they say DL & install at your own risk. Is this warning valid for desktop graphic card as well? Hell no! their card, their driver and a it-can-fail-anyway warning. WTF?
    3: I gave up asking acer support team to update their ANCIENT ati driver and it`s not listed as unsupported. That is not the case for vaio, panasonic and toshiba, so in this case is it safe to say that MM tool will help those users?

14. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

1) Some manufacturers don't want the users to install any driver they haven't tested themselves in order to minimize the number of tech support calls, and they made ATI go along with that, so owners of those laptops can only get the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's site. That's where Mobility Modder should help. :)

2) All software comes with bugs and Catalyst drivers are released monthly so there isn't much time for testing. An error that only has a 1 in 5000 chance of affecting a computer may slip through the testing, and, thanks to the number of cards out there, still affect a very large number of people.

3) There's no 100% guarantee, but it should. :) EDIT: Shouldn't Acer's laptops be supported by the official Cats without any modding, as long as it has a recent GPU?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  15. adamrussell

adamrussell New Member

I got the ATI mobility driver to install on my M17x by first running the installer then going to device manager and telling it to update device driver then showing it the folder where the installer put the driver. Seems like the installer failed to recognize the computer but the computer successfully recognized the driver.

And yea I still question why only laptops are fixed to not accept new drivers.

16. rdlf2048

rdlf2048 New Member

That`s what I told you several hours ago:
    Therefore, as my clients have various preferences like toshiba(sti), vaio, panasonic et cetera.., I had to ask if MMTool would get this case solved.

17. richardhula

richardhula New Member

Until recently most notebooks were supported only by original version drivers from their manufacturers websites as mentioned above. MM was therefore needed to modify current desktop drivers/software released by ATI if you wanted latest version on your notebook.

Now AMD/ATI offer mobility versions of their latest driver software to suit most cards under Vista/Windows 7 at least. MM is no longer needed if your notebook is supported. I suspect this is why development seems to have ground to a halt on it - its not needed.

18. rdlf2048

rdlf2048 New Member

Anyway Richard, I think that MMTool development should just go on.
    I mean, who is to say that ati will continue to make mobile versions of their drivers if they KNOW that this is not what OEMs really want?
    Also, I keep asking myself why does ati always seem to choose the complicated way to deal with things like this.
    You guys think that its the same with nvidias mobile platform?

19. adamrussell

adamrussell New Member

Unfortunately that does not include all cards. The ATI mobility driver package will not install on my M17x with radeon 5870 mobility. I can force it to take the driver using device manager, but it still wont install the ati control center, and it also isnt going as high of a resolution as I should be getting. Guess Im stuck waiting for an alienware/dell update.

20. colbert

colbert New Member

hi I am wondering if anyone knows how I can get DirecTV2PC, to work on my HP Pavilion Entertainment PC, and it says I don't have the right drivers, how can I find the drivers that will make this software work?