CATALYST 3.4 Rating

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, May 16, 2003.

?

Rate CAT 3.4 (10 is highest and 1 is lowest)

1. 10

57 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. 9

91 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. 8

86 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. 7

39 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. 6

16 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. 5

18 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. 4

7 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. 3

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. 2

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. 1

30 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. snowbody

snowbody New Member

I vote 10.

Becaurse my system run most more stable. Not even a single crash in 1 day. Before (with 3.2) I had more than 20-25 dayli crash related to the graphic card driver acording Windows XP.

Also in 3Dmark 2003 it goes from about 46?? properly mush less, can't remeber the number, it goes up to 5009 point.
    That's great. Everything seems to run much better than before.

So ATI, I really like your work. For me, it works perfectly. It even did think format my harddrive AGAIN, but just be install the new one, I helps of everything.

Thanks ATI, thank you very much!

Hopes a future driver keep comming up with fixes and prefermance, and help people that still has problems.

2. Dane Sabbath

Dane Sabbath ***** Viking

lol

3. KL14

KL14 New Member

As I said in another thread, for some reason morrowind started performing horribly with these new drivers, this is with shadows on. (I have a 9500 Pro and an Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB DDR 2100 Ram). Don't know if maybe it's a bug but on the 3.2s I could run with shadows on without too much of a performance hit.

4. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Uhm GTA Vice City works flawlessly on my comp, not a single problem at all, so if you have any issues then it's gotta be a conflict somewhere. GTA Vice City was the first game I started up after I had installed cat 3.4 And it would have been nice if you gave us some more information than only kill GTA VC kinda hard to help you if you don't explain the problem a bit more. :)

5. Runner3001

Runner3001 New Member

I gave them a 6 due to this very problem, that and they weren't what I was expecting in terms of performance, the Omega version of them made them that though :)

To be more clear about what El_Coyote said what happens is if you have dual monitors, and your primary monitor is plugged into the VGA and not the DVI port, changes made in the ATi control panel will not work. The control panel is putting the settings under the Radeon 9700 Pro - Secondary registry key rather than primary. As you may realize...that does nothing, in order to make changes to your control panel settings you have to disable your secondary monitor before you do it, it doesn't require a reboot. You can re-enable the secondary monitor afterwards, but any further settings changes will require you to turn it off again. I've tested this significantly, and this is what appears to be going on. Wish I had just turned the damn thing off in the first place instead of the 10+ 3.4 reinstalls I did. It was not like this in previous drivers.

6. blade5545

blade5545 Shoots first ask's questions later

I dont know if anybody noticed this problem yet but when after I installed the 3.4 drivers everything runs great and my 3Dmark 2003 is up by 200 points and all the games work except Splinter Cell and yes it is running the latest patch, after playing for around 5 min the system shuts down on me every single time does not matter what level I am on, I even used the Driver Cleaner before I installed the driver I also tried the the Omega drivers and same thing happens since its is based on 3.4 so i went back to 3.2 and everything runs fine obviously something in the 3.4 version is causing the problem in Splinter Cell just thought I let ATI know. Since this is a very popular game and this is a major bug i have to gave a rating of 5. Otherwise I love ATI screw the unethical NVIDIA you guys do it the right way.

MSI K7N2 AMD Athlon XP 2100+ T-Bred revision B @2.17Ghz - 166fsb X13
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Windows XP SP1A WESTERN DIGITAL 30GB and WESTERN DIGITAL 40GB

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

For whatever reason, this sounds like an overheating problem to me. Just my first impression.

8. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

In these driveres, the "display" menu in the ATI control panel is different from before. How do I access the "monitor" section of the previous "display" menu? (the place with the + and - keys that synchronize the monitor or something)

9. BONEHEAD

BONEHEAD New Member

Well the glitchey screen savers is cured I uninstalled Remote center 1.5 and reinstalled 1.4 and now I have no problems.:D I guess I am the only one that has problems w/ remote center?

10. blade5545

blade5545 Shoots first ask's questions later

overheating ?!, not to be rude but read it again, I said splinter cell is the only game that I am having a problem with and the fact that I went back to 3.2 and everything is fine proves that this is not a overheating problem but a driver problem, if it were overheating I would be having problems in every game that I play and my system tempature is always between 42-48c even when folding

11. BMG_Cya=-

BMG_Cya=- Banned

Change my vote from an 8.5 to a 9.0. The Omegas/Cat 3.4's fixed the stutter, looping sound, phuked up problem in
    Blood Omen 2 Legacy of Kain. Nice little extra.

Seraphim Lord to Kain:

"All your clans were set alight, the ashes seared and scattered into the backwaters of time."

Gotta be one of the all time great lines in a videogame.:cool:

12. Hundredswords

Hundredswords Banned

Re: What?!? That damned copycat is at it again?!?!

So, they sent yo a 9500Pro to play with for a week? Are you getting one for writing a review or something?

And, you don't like NVidia, but you use their cards? (i.e. Geforce4 Ti4400)

On the other hand, you cheer on ATI and receive some ATI T-shirts and other stuff from them... and you ditched your 8500 because you said over there you never liked the card?

Maybe I just don't understand; it looks like you are just taking every opportunity to get "free" stuff and exposure on various forums/messageboards.

13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Re: Re: What?!? That damned copycat is at it again?!?!

It was a month and it was for a review I never did for here. (And I'm still sorry Zar and feel bad...but I THINK I might finally be able to make that one up to you soon. ;) )

Yup. I don't like the way nVidia is doing business at all right now, I find it deplorably underhanded and bordering on the downright illegal. In a word, cheeseball. :)

You didn't mention the GF3 or GF2 T400 I use either, but yes. I like their pre-FX stuff just spiffy. I usually buy all me cards used off the boards or off of friends, the GF4 was the best card I could get with the $100us I had to buy a card with this time.

Actually, no. I got the ATi shirt & hat from the slogan contest this site had for their one year anniversary a little while back. I came in #6 with I think it was, "ATi: The new King of the graphics world!" :D

Yup. I was never a real big fan of the 8500 and still ain't, I sort of consider it the transitional card between the old ATi and the new ATi. It has all the signs of greatness I see in the new ATi stuff, but it still has the old ATi glitches I remember too well from me rage128 days and such.

It's just my opinion on the card, I didn't care for it. I picked it up for $70us and I didn't feel it was right to charge someone for a piece of hardware I wasn't really fond of, so I gave it to a friend to whom it was an upgrade.

Ok, so? What's your point? Is there something WRONG with me getting free stuff? Hell, I wouldn't mind it a damned bit! :lol: As for the exposure on boards, there might be some truth to that. I like cruising the boards, it's me social life. I don't have many opportunities to hang with friends in person, but I've met a lot of great people on line and enjoy chatting with them/exchanging thoughts & ideas. It's fun & I like it. If that's what you mean by "exposure" then yeah, I guess I do like it.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever gotten any free stuff before 'til that loaner 9500 Pro from ATi...and I really thought that was neat! Mebbe that's hopelessly naive of me, but I'm a hopelessly naive kind-o-guy that way.

Dude, I'm just a stay-at-home Dad sitting in me jammies typing away on a keyboard. I happen to like fiddling with PCs and gaming on them and I really don't know all that many people in real life who share me interests or could really even understand me anymore when I start talking about them in depth! (I'm learning NOT to talk computers with people anymore, either I lose 'em and their eyes glaze over or I scare 'em with me enthusiasm. :rolleyes: Not talking when computers comes up helps, but it is SO hard to keep a straight face sometimes! :lol: )

On the boards I can, and at my convinience. It's sweet.

As for the free stuff, why the hell would anyone give me anything? I've never done a review, I don't think I'm likely to influence a whole lot of peoples buying opinions, and the only website I'm currently on staff with has a member base just slightly less than 150 people.

If someone wants to give me something that's just fine by me, I'll just play with it and post about it like I would anything else...it does NOT mean that I would endorse something I don't believe in or say something that I don't feel just because of it.

I don't do bribes, the biggest luxury I've ever given meself is to be honest and I don't think money can take that luxury away from me. Honesty is easy, you never have to worry about what ya say because your words will never come back to haunt you.

Does that answer everything? I'll be glad to clear up anything I missed. :)

EDITED BITS: Oh, since I'm doing the long version of me justification I had to stick this in: once in a while I do occasional help someone with a PC problem on the boards, it's actually why I got into posting so much in the first place. I had a lot of people on the boards hold my hand and help me fix my problems, and I just like to help out other people now as a sort of "paying for the flesh" for all the help and kindness I've gotten. I also remember only too well what it's like to be a newbie and that horrible dread feeling when something is busted and you just can't figure it out and I just like helping people out of them situations because there have been SO many times I wished I had someone to help me when I was learning PCs. (Back in the old pre-net days. ;) )

Last edited: May 17, 2003
  14. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

btw I really really hate to say this but for those that are having problems with enter the matrix might want to consider an nVidia card *sighs*

Terry can correct me if I am wrong but it seems that Infogrames/Atari (They are just dragging the Atari name through the mud) didnt really do much programming for ATi cards.

I have texture issues of all kinds. Odd Z-Buffer and clipping issues. What type you ask?

Well for comparison a common issue can be seen in Hot Pursuit 2. The waterfalls in one of the levels show more detail the closer you get. In the case of ETM its much much worse.

It seems that you can see parts of outdoor construction equipment while still inside a building causing your view of areas inside that building to get obstructed.

also theres a part of the game where there is an nvidia logo stating *nVidia, the way its meant to be played"

that logo also shows up on some of their cellphones in certain scenes.

I love ATi and they do kick ass. I feel this is not their fault which is why I felt bad saying that an nVidia card would be better for ETM. Anyone read the box? For nVidia it requires a GF2 to play. For ATi at least a 8500 :eek:

Anyways I wont be getting the PC copy that I have been "testing" instead I intend to buy it for my XBox (Sorry again guys, I wish it were an ATi chip powering that hummer)

15. Optimummind

Optimummind Banned

Re: I gave a score of 1 because

Here's an update: After uninstalling the 3.4 Catalyst drivers, I installed the 3.1 and 3.2 Catalysts. Both of these previous Catalysts showed no problem with Warcraft 3's game play screens.

16. Dem2k

Dem2k New Member

I give it an 8. Theres much room for improvment always. Though with the 3.4's your margined down the gap.

The colour control is spiffy feature. Though I didn't think a colour control applet is what was needed. Nononon you dont want a colour control ridiculous..,.,.,. we want a GIANT SPOON we like SPOONS but not as much as the moon or as cheese or as zeppelins.

17. longshot520

longshot520 New Member

Re: No real reason, but...

Pentium 4 @ 2.66GHz, 512MB DDR SDRAM, Intel mobo (the model number escapes me atm), XPsp1 with most of the current Windows Update patches.. Didnt get the chance to try GTA:VC with the 3.2cats because it arrived the day after I'd installed the 3.4's :)

18. longshot520

longshot520 New Member

Just regarding the problems some people are reporting with GTA:VC, Warp2Search have posted details of a patch which apparently fixes graphic corruption problems. Could be worth a try?

19. wolfran

wolfran New Member

good driver

well...i will give it a 9.5 out of 10. First of all the image quality on this driver is better than the previous ones. Second it run faster on most games when fsaa and anisotropic are enabled (in ut2003 the fps goes up by 20!! and unreal2 seems to run smoother as well).
    The only thing that makes it lose 0.5 point is that with this driver i lose about 1-2 fps in ut2003 when no fsaa and no aniso. Can anyone else confirm this?
    However overall i think is a very good driver and worth the upgrade from cat 3.2

btw, my spec is
    athlon xp 2600+
    radeon 9700
    asus a7n8x

20. El_Coyote

El_Coyote New Member

i dont think it has anything to do with the vga/dvi ports, because my primary monitor is an LCD plugged into the DVI prot, so i have the opposite situation of you, yet i still have the problem.
    and to me it DOES require a reboot to change settings, so dont call me a liar plz, before you have seen what i got to do to make things work.