Catalyst 4.1

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rgreen83

rgreen83 New Member

im using it too, which is why i suspected it, being beta i doubt ATI tests for it.

2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

This has existed since the Cat 3.6's. I have reported this issue to ATI Feedback everytime since this problem started. Recent feedback reports included my workaround that I discovered, which should tell the ATI team exactly where to look for the problem. It's not just a problem with MY system (which has been reformatted since this problem first arose, BTW) because it does it on DIFFERENT chipset motherboards and with DIFFERENT CD sets of the game with the 8500 variations we have here. None of the systems are overclocked in any way, shape or form. Cat 3.5 and older, no problems, 3.6 and newer, this problem.

[​IMG]

Before anyone says that they are not having this problem with the game, are you using an 8500? The problem may be 8500 specific, I don't know. This is on the FULL retail version, NOT the demo. The workaround that I have been using since the 3.6's STILL works on the 4.1's and STILL causes NO problems in any other games. I find that interesting..... :bleh:

Workaround: replace the ati3d2ag.dl_ with the one from the Cat 3.5's.

3. Davidgt

Davidgt Car Audio Guy

atleast I not the only one Have the same issue It was like every 5 mins vpu recover poped up gone back to 3.10`s all wonderful now I guess the old saying is true. If it isnt broke dont fix it.....

4. BetrayerX

BetrayerX New Member

I just installed over the 3.10 with no problems at all. Might be some flaw at the uninstall of the previous drivers what's causing the problem.

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well, just for an update, I uninstalled the 3.10's and then installed the 4.1's and all went very smoothly.

Here is what I did that worked perfectly (so far) in this order:

-disable FIREWALL

-disable internet connection

-install driver cleaner 2.7

-uninstall radlinker

-uninstall ATI probe device in hardware manager (what radlinker leaves behind)

-uninstall ATI 3.10 via control panel/ ATI uninstall utility

-reboot

-cancel out of windows new hardware wizard

-reboot into SAFE MODE

-run DriverHeaven Driver cleaner v2.7

-reboot

-install ATI Cat. 4.1

-reboot

-let Smartgart detect system (which works MUCH faster in cat. 4.1 than any other version of Catalyst)

-configure ATI settings (turn off VPU recover, set screen res./ refresh, set DCC off, set refresh rate override to 85hz, etc...)

-reboot

-run bench marks

-everything works great.

I lost about 200pts in 3dmark01, but it ran MUCH smoother- so if games behave the same, I'll take the very small performance hit in D3D.

Aquamark runs fine.

Still testing, and going to test some games. Seems like the new cats work fine so far, very smooth install and everything seems to work great, even when I uninstalled the previous driver set and used DH Driver cleaner 2.7. Will report back any problems if they happen.

6. rgreen83

rgreen83 New Member

just wondering but why are OpenGL v2 extensions supported but v1.5 still doesnt support shadow functions?

7. Nyana

Nyana New Member

so far ... so good ... looks great overall ... hope Omega is able to release his drivers till next weekend for some tests ... sorry ATI, but Omegadrivers ever were better for my mobility system :w00t:

8. Dem2k

Dem2k New Member

I got a question for Catalyst Maker. Seeing as how he spends more time here because its more civl and more mature then a certain other website *cough*. Are you aware of an issue with the ASUS 9800xt WINXP PRO login screen monitor blackout? A simple yay or nay would be suffice.

9. Bosman

Bosman New Member

From what i remember, back when the Cat's 3.8 were launched, Catalyst Maker said something like "the ver 4.x would be the most revolutionary driver set released by ATi yet" ... :hmm:

But from what i can see, the Cat 4.1 is just another "bug-fixing" release, with nothing spectacular added (course, maybe not for the casual gamer, the game programmers might enjoy the new OpenGL support) :confused:

10. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

now that you mention it I remember that quote as well.

Maybe they are holding off for the launch of the new card :)

11. Junk

Junk New Member

even with AA enabled? i've had problem with madden and AA since the 3.8 set. i'll post screenshots later, but i've gotta run to class..

12. strop

strop New Member

Some personal considerations: from what I have seen, the main features of Cat. 4.1 are Overdrive temp monitor for XT series and OpenGL Shading Language improvements.
    I have a 9600XT (not Built By ATi) that hasn't overdrive support (maybe no thermal diode on PCB) as for (I think) the 80% of the - no BBA - 9600XT on the market.
    I will not use OpenGL Shading Language in near future and until now don't exist games that use this library.
    With Cat. 4.1 I have lost 200 points in 3DMark01, no improvements in 3DMark03 and I have lost 2fps in NFSU.
    I haven't ever had one problem of stability or others with 3.10.
    I back to 3.10 ;)

Anyway good job and keep up the good work! :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  13. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

But did you check with games if your experience has improved?

3DMark01 really is more CPU bound than anything else.

I can pretty much guarantee if you were to reboot with all of the items in your taskbar disabled youd get that 200 points back ;)

14. strop

strop New Member

With NFSU I have lost exactly 2fps with 4.10. I'm back to 3.10 and now I have those 200 points more in 3DMark01 and those 2fps more in NFSU. ;)
    I have tried SW:KOTOR and it's all the same (I think because this is an OpenGL game, not DirectX).
    I haven't tried other games...

15. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

then i definitely agree a rollback was in order

you need ever frame you can get in underground

im just lucky that my laptop actually seems to perform well in this game for some reason

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I lost 200 pts in 3dmark 01 also- exact same background apps running, and after several rns- all after fresh reboot... (no background apps)

I'm still using the 4.1's though- they seem to be smoother in games and in the benchmarks.

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Just tested out DX:IW real quick- I think these drivers made a big difference- the game seems much faster. It still has the problem with big huge spots all over the place when trying to enable antialiasing, which it didn't until the patch, and the 3.10 drivers.. I wish they would fix that, because it's actually fast enough now to run AA.

18. Junk

Junk New Member

these screens were taken with 4x AA and 2x AF enabled using my radeon 9600 pro. i have a p4 @ 1.6ghz and dx 9.0b installed.

this is with the 3.7's.[​IMG]

and this is with the 3.8's-4.1's.[​IMG]

(note, the problem isn't the darkness, it's strictly the AA jaggies)

i believe the 3.9 release notes claimed to have fixed the problems with madden..

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I have a question, how do I make a shortcut that will open directly to the 3D tab in the control panel of the 4.1 cats? Is there a file in: C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-97-031212a-013118c\CPanel

Or maybe somewhwere in: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel
    that I can link to in order to make a shortcut to do this?

It would be cool if it were that easy.

20. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Hey Terry I still have issue with the nirtro with full detial everthing on with trail glow and motion blur screen still goes dark? Does anyone get this? I just leave it off for now either that NFS UG runs great :)