Catalyst 4.1

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Jan 19, 2004.

1. wolfran

wolfran New Member

That's a problem related to the driver cleaner in the omega driver. It seems to delete this file. However I think that the file "Atmenuxx.cnt" is only related to the ATI help menu. I could be wrong though.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

As Dyre mentioned(And I was corrected on by Shadowlady) These features are only available on the 9600ProXT and 9800ProXT !!

I strongly disagree with that comment !!
    In fact I recommend removing the current drivers using "add/remove programs" as well as running a driver cleaner. There are several available here on DH as well as those mentioned by CM.
    This type of software is the only type that ensures the registry entrys for that driver are removed before installing the new one.

I am very sticky on this (running Official Cats for 24 hours again lol) now back to work and the New release here .. ;)
    As mentioned in several reviews here .. proper defraging and system maintenence goes a long way on preventing problems :D

3. BetrayerX

BetrayerX New Member

I have been installing over old drivers since I got my 9700 back in march03 and I haven't experienced an issue never.........

....until now. This is the first serious issue I had:

I was playing KOTOR and I just beat the Sith governor and when I got out of the Sith Base, the game crashed giving me some really corrupted textures. I managed to move a bit and jumped to my headquarters and saved before I couldn't move it anymore.

[​IMG]

System specs:
    P4 2.4@2.88GHz It has been running perfectly stable for months in a room with A/C and someserious cooling. It can be stable with no a/c so I personally discard it.
    512MB DR 400
    9700Pro
    DX 9b
    WinXP w/all patches available

KOTOR is 1.01 (updated)
    Game res: 1280*960
    no AA
    8x AF

Jst FRAPS running.
    I just opened the door of the base....I imagine a short movie was going to show...dunno (someone who passed that can tell if there really is one) then the crash. I managed to send the VPU report.

Another thing...I'm still running without rebooting and everything seems to run perfect (used explorer mozilla, Photoshop, messenger), so if you still think of the cpu....leave it.
    ;)

4. Davidgt

Davidgt Car Audio Guy

I couldnt run mine for 24 hours....... I submited my dxdaig logs and screen shots to Zardon to give to terry. The 4.1`s just refuse to run on my system without constant vpu recover errors and If i disable vpu recover i get total bsod within 5 mins. Hopefully this is a bug that can be worked out.

5. dijidiji

dijidiji New Member

My issue is very similar to Junk's. With 3.8 Cats and below, AA is applied correctly to Madden 2004. With any Cats since, AA is not applied *unless* I switch resolutions once the game has start (anytime after the coin toss works). The resolution change will also work if i just change the bit depth (from 1024x768x32 to 1024x768x16, for example).

I would like to be able to run the newer Cats, as they are supposed to have fixes related to face masks not being textured when players are past 15 yards out or so. But switching resolutions every time I load a game gets to be a rather large hassle.

The corresponding Omega's behave in the same manner as any given set of Cats.

6. Junk

Junk New Member

i haven't tried changing the screen res in game to see if that fixes my problem. i've been extracting the files from the ati .exe file and replacing the ati3duag.dl_ file with one from the 3.7's.

7. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

For all who got performance losses, wait for the Omegas. I've lost around the same figures posted here going from Cat 3.9 to 3.10. The Omegas based on 3.10 were up to speed again.

8. p0rChM0nK3y

p0rChM0nK3y New Member

These drivers seem to of cured most of Halo's BSOD's.

9. razor74

razor74 New Member

I tried Jedi Academy and DINAMIC GLOW works fine again. :drool: Thanks Terry.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Antialiasing in TOCA PRO Race Driver does not work- It works up until you select a race, then when you go into the "garage" the AA quits working throughout the race and back into the menu- until you exit game. Basically antialiasing only works in the "office".

I am enabling 4xAA through ATI CP- Strange that a driver would let the game decide whether to have AA on or not- It seems like the driver would override it.

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I hope so too bro .. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble :hmm:
    I had no such problems here myself ..........

12. Bane the ECF

Bane the ECF New Member

I'm playing America's Army (UT2003 engine) and I'm getting fine lines in my game screen, almost like I'm playing the game through a TV instead of a monitor and I can see refresh lines though my monitor. With the 3.10 drivers I don't get this, and the textures have a nice solid feel in them. I also don't notice any screen problems when I'm in Windows and browsing, etc.

Bane

13. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Guys Madden 2004 does not support AA through the control pane. I.E. there is no way to force it on. NV cards dont do it either. In our earlier driver we did try and force it on but that caused other problems in other games. So we took away the force on AA code.

I dont recall if the game supports AA in the menu but if it does then that is the way to do it.

Thats the update...

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Is it the same with Pro Race Driver? If so, is there any way to mod the 4.1 Cats to force AA on in games?

15. nana

nana New Member

just downloaded FarCry Demo - loads of problems, got wierd shadows and these odd squares appear on my 9800XT 256MB - although from some post at least i can see what is going on and it generally looks ok.

and i am not alone, seems like a general problem:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33737435

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_farcry_general&id=zzfih

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_farcry_general&id=zzfoa

looke like this for the wierd shadoe effect (see last thresd for more info)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NANA

[edit] added another link and pics

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  16. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

yea... forcing on AA through our control panel is not a good idea.

If the game does support it always use the game menu to turn it on

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Wow that does suck, so there is no way to play toca race driver with antialiasing? Even though it works in the game until the game loads the "garage area"? Which is the last driver set from ATI that will force AA on in gamnes?

18. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Ok, just curious here.....correct me if I'm wrong
    Your saying we should always use fsaa within the game, instead of the cp slider?

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I think so- but man, that means I'd be stuck with no or just 2x AA in most games... Antialiasing is why I spent 300 dollars on a video card. It really bugs me I cannot force AA on on games anymore.:x

20. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Well I'm just trying to get things straight before I assume anything.
    I to would want to do my preference of aa in games, and that goes for any game, because I had thought that was were ati surpassed nvidia at one time, because if I remember right nvidia did have the better fsaa at one time.
    If I am forced to use the games fsaa, that means alot of times there will be no setting for fsaa, and no aa at all, same goes for aniso. I have yet to see an aniso, or fsaa setting in most games, because I had thought that was what the driver control slider in cp was for, to force it to a specific fsaa and aniso level, not leve it up to the game. If things are leaning towards the "game" setting the fsaa and aniso levels, then I won't other spending my hard earned cash on a high end card, becuase it will not do much good.

Again, if I am mistaken, please set me on the right path here.