Catalyst 4.1

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rgreen83

rgreen83 New Member

I certainly think that this is the catalyst 4.1 thread, if you guys would like to argue aperature sizes please do it in appropriate section (isnt even driver related, its bios) and diff thread. Several of of are still waiting for a clear explanation of this AA fiasco.

2. Junk

Junk New Member

bwx, this is what i do to enable AA with newer drivers.

for starters, you'll need the catalyst 3.7 drivers downloaded and whatever newer set you'd like to use. it helps to rename the .exe's to catalyst 3.7 and catalyst 4.XX for the next step. now, use a program like winrar or winzip to extract the files from the 3.7 *.exe file and the newer *.exe file.

navigate through the 3.7 directory to the following folder - 'XX\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_10679' and copy the 'ati3duag.dl_' file. then, navigate to - 'XX\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_12919' in the newer driver directory and overwrite the current 'ati3duag.dl_'.

to install the updated driver set, go back to the home folder and run the 'Setup.exe' file with the ATi logo. you will (obviously) get the WHQL warning when you install the driver, but AA will work..

3. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

Hm, downloaded the new Ctas and installed only the drivers, keeping the Omega 3.10 control panel. Without new CP I don't have Overdrive on my XT of course, but performance stayed the same as it was with 3.10. Good enough for me until Omega comes out with his set.

4. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 New Member

:tears: sorry for that - thought i answered a question - will never happen again :oops:

5. wolfran

wolfran New Member

6. rgreen83

rgreen83 New Member

Thanks for keeping on topic guys ;) I believe bwx and I, as well as many others, would still like a very clear answer about the whole AA issue. Hello? Terry? Anybody?

7. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

Have you noticed how no ati representitive has replyed to the AA ishue. i have a 9800 XT i im gonna be pissed if i have no AA in most of the games that have no AA controls ingame setting. !!! one example i can think of is Splinter cell where it has no AA in game settings and its true even if i set the ati controll pannel to 6AA when i go to play the game there is infact no AA being used wich SUCKS i didnt pay for a state of the art of todays world to play with out EYE candy.... please we all need a responce on this .

8. wolfran

wolfran New Member

I believe the catalyst maker said that if their team tried to enable the force AA from the ATI CP, it will cause some problems for other games. Are those problems only AA related (I mean, are the problems still there even if the AA is set to app pref in the ATI CP)?? I think the community needs to know what sort of problems the CM are referring to.

If it's only AA related problem then I don't think it's necessary to disable the force AA from the ATI CP. THis is because the user can easily set the AA to app pref in ATI CP if games are having problems with AA (i.e. Prince of Perisa: Sands of Time). On the other hand some games, that depend their AA settings from the driver, can still work with AA and there are some games in this situation.
    Further, ATI can make a list on their website on what games are having problems with their AA so that the user can be aware of those games.

So people, what games do you find the AA broken now since the disabling of force AA?
    Maybe ATI will put the feature back if there are alot games in this category (games that depend their AA settings from driver).

9. HawK

HawK Banned

4.1 Cod lock up

Getting complete lock up in CoD, not on all maps but on burnville(5) 3 times on the same place
    (behind the shed, going towards the church) never had any lock ups in Cod before though..
    anyone experiencing the same??

10. rgreen83

rgreen83 New Member

So if forcing AA on in CP is not possible, what does it do when I change it? nothing? Maybe it is only disabled for the games having problems? I dont think it will be as big an issue as it seems, but we cant know until someone tells us what is truly going on.

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well it has been two days since it was brought up. I guess the answer is: we don't get an answer.

12. OxfordDon

OxfordDon New Member

and the silence speaks volumes....

13. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Well fsaa still seems to work, jsut not in ALL games, only doesn't work in SOME games, and some I can see, such as splintercell, if you use fsaa the light thru the windows and doors gets all messed up in that game, but games like madden 2004 just do not work, even forceing fsaa thru the cp. So while fsaa doesn't seem to be exactly broken, it's not exactly working either. I gather from what ati is saying that the game madden 2004, forceing fsaa with it, they had issues with other games, but my question then would be, it took 5 revisions of drivers sets, to realize there was issues with other games, if they forced fsaa with madden 2004?
    Also I get that forceing fsaa thru the cp instead of thru the game isn't a good idea, so this leads me to the question, why is there a fsa option to set?

I posted this on another thread, maybe thinking that Terry had overlooked this one, but no answer as of yet on that one either. I would send this question to ati themselves, but it's not really a feedback thing, it's more a question that needs an answer. Anyone by chance have an email I can send this question to, to find out exactly what is going on, and so I can move on with this, cuase I really am curious.

14. Junk

Junk New Member

i understand that we're waiting for an ATi answer, but has anyone tried the workaround that i posted above?

15. wolfran

wolfran New Member

I also agree that the AA setting from CP is not completely broken. I just try NFSU and it doesn't have an in game AA setting so i have to force it from the ATI CP. It still works in this case. So I guess the force AA may only be disable for some games that are certain to have problems with AA.

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I would, but I never have much luck hacking up drivers, if there is a way to do it by installing the 4.1, replacing a file in the install directory, and then reinstalling the driver- I would do it. But I'm not gonna use the exe from one driver for another- or rename the .exe. In that case i would just use the old driver.

Will that fix work if I just take the 'ati3duag.dl_' file from the 317 and replace the one in the 4.1? I t seems like all the other steps are unnecessary.

17. dijidiji

dijidiji New Member

Junk, your workaround might be worth trying. But what portion of the driver updates are you missing by swapping out the different version of that file?

Additionally, you *can* have AA in Madden 04 with the newer Cats. As I mentioned previously, changing the resolution in game (anytime after the coin toss works) will force AA. This should not be necessary, but it does work.

Which should bring up additional questions about how and why ATI disabled forced AA for Madden 04.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

It is the opposite in ProraceDriver- forcing AA works until the the game loads the garage before going into a race. I remember in the demo that AA worked with older drivers. I really don't want to install older drivers with all the problems that the newer drivers "fixed"-

I just wish ATI would give us some answers, or at least an explanation- Nor the farcry demo AA doesn't work, but it does with older drivers as seen here--

In this thread- http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36006

Then I hear "it isn't a driver problem." -well maybe not entirely, but if older drivers allow AA and newer ones don't, I can only come to the conclusion that these AA problems are AT LEAST PARTLY caused by the newer ATI drivers.. Of course they won't say anything so I guess we will keep on guessing.

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That's my problem with fixing drivers like that- you are messing with the fixes that the new drivers offer.

20. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Are you referring to replaceing the gl or d3d file from an older set, and replaceing it, and putting the older d3d or gl file in place, f the newer one? if so I have to say this may not work in all cases. Such is the case of Call of Duty......3.5 catalyst for me, did not work, so me takeing say the 3.5 opengl file, and putting it wihtin the 4.1's, that would result in CoD not working again, so it's kinda pointless todo that. As for when you replace the files, yes, there may be some things in newer sets of drivers, the older sets don't have, such as gl extensions etc.., so while yes it may fix issues, you are msising some of the newer stuff maybe. I don't know much about disecting drivers, or makeing drivers, so I can't say 100% sure that ati has adjusted the newer drivers with new gl extensions and whatever else. Fact is though, "we" the users, and buyer of the highend cards, shouldn't have to adjust or replace files, to get things to work, that's what the catalyst team is paid for, to make a driver set work, and do what it's spose to, without haveing to replace files, or disect the drivers, to make them work, such is the cae of fsaa, it worked in older sets, it should work in newer sets as well, instead of a work around. I do appreciate, and admire ati and the driver team, as I'm sure it's not easy, finding and fixeing every single problem everyone is haveing, on top of people complaining, but on the other hand I cannot admire and respect, the fact that it works, then it doesn't, and the fact it is a commen thing that has worked and has been there for quite soem time. If it were something new, I can see this, things need time to break in, but we're tlaking fsaa, something that's been around for some time now. I have had many many cards, nvidia and ati, and each haev thier share, but ati (and I hope you all take this as constructive critisizeing, not a cut down), as of late, last few drivers, have well, I guess I'll come out and say it bluntly simply because I cannot see another way to put it.....slacking, and makeing mistakes, wich shoudn't have been mde to begin with. What mistakes? well I will anme some:
    -3.6 come out opengl was set at 16 bit, no matter what you set, and if I recall right, Ati themselves denied this was the case
    -3.7 come out, opengl is still set to 16 bit, and now ati has confirmed it was a fault of thier own, and the driver team, had set opengl to 16 bit, instead of the 32 bit it was spose to be when setting it to 32 bit
    -3.9 comes out, and people with aiw cards cannot play opengl games....this was fixed not with hotfix, but a work around posted by Terry, and has since been fixed in the 3.10 set.
    Don't get me wrong here, I am not expecting things to be perfect, because that is kinda unreal hope to have, but what I do expect is for a driver team and/or company to be more thorugh in thier tests, so this does not happen. This along with Terry saying that forceing fsaa thru the cp, is not a good idea, so that leaves me thinking, what good is the fsaa tab to begin with, if we're spose to let the game do it anyways? I keep repeating this, but I don't see an answer, so as said, i guess we will have to keep guessing.

@ dijidiji:
    Thankyou for that work around, as I didn't know it exsisted, and/or I didn't see or read it, sorry if it was posted, I jsut missed it I guess. So does fsaa stay on all the time after that? or does it get reset say if a movie or whatever is played, like in other games?

The fact is, it's more than jsut me or a few people, that are noticeing fsaa issues, so it's obviously a problem, and not "user error", and reporting this to ati....yesI have reported it to ati numerous times, and all to get an automated response, so reporting to ati HAS been done, and hasn't been addressed. I have also addressed this, and pointed it out to Terry, in 2 different einstances, and both times I sitll have not gotten a reply or response. No it's not ati's responsibility to reply to forums, that is thier perogitive, but ati reports doesn't seem to be doing much good, so all i have left is to post in forums. I feel I have been patient, and asked in a civilized manner, questions that I feel should be answered, or clarified up, and I intend to keep being patient, because getting mad, flameing doesn't get anything resolved, so I will contimue to wait and check for replies on this, and hope for the best that terry will, in a civilized calm manner, give an answer to this.