CATALYST 4.2 available now

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Feb 12, 2004.

1. snake

snake Active Member

I noticed improvements with 3DMark2K1 and PCMark04 but not with Aquamark03 nor 3DMark03.
    Well it's a really nice set i guess and the new installer's backscreen is great too :D

2. NatoMan

NatoMan New Member

The random fps drop issue in counter-strike is still there.

Hows the progress on this issue Terry?

3. Game Fan

Game Fan New Member

It's great to see that ATi is still supporting my good old 8500! :D Seeing things like this really makes me want to stick with ATi when the time finally comes to replacing my 8500.

I'm looking forward to putting these new drivers to the test.

Thanks ATi!

4. Fatal0E

Fatal0E New Member

BBA Radeon 9600 XT 128MB
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe 1.04
    Fast writes disabled

installed new drivers, rebooted, now screen is extremely slow to draw, like I had no drivers installed, when I open up a menu, or change screens completely it slowly draws down from top to bottom. device manager shows card is setup, checked driver details, no missing files, version is correct. :confused:

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

try a reinstall of the drivers. ive had this happen a few times with a 9600. reinstalling over the top of the set fixed it (if its the same issue). also check your hardware acceleration is on full.

6. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I'm going to try the seperated driver set, maybe I'll have better luck. I really wanted to enjoy the 8500 performance boosts. You know, since I have an 8500 and all. The "broadband" set didn't work out for me. (read my previous post in this thread for my immediate issues) I'm not overly worried about The Hulk, but the other issues were a little disappointing. And I was only up to about 6 games tested before I decided to revert back to the 4.1's. I'm hoping that there was just something amiss with the "broadband" set (maybe my download corrupted slightly) and the seperated set will yield different results. I'm also going to re-download the "broadband" set again and see if it works better this time.

Seeing as how others are having good luck with this set and 8500's leads me to believe something must have gone wrong with the download or something....possibly a slight difference in the two variations of the driver download. I'm definitely going to look into this...me wants dem speed boosts. ;)

Unfortunately, I'm heading out of town today, so it's going to be awhile before I can try that.

7. neilm

neilm New Member

Is the escape problem in half-life resolved yet?

8. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

Yes I can escape now, in version 4.1. and 4.2, but upon return the cursor is flashing on the screen during game, and the usual exiting of game loses desktop background and alters shortcut placements.

9. HawK

HawK Banned

assign a key to exit the game: F10 would be fine..& keeps your desktop as it is
    (unless you have the default monitor in use, but one should always use P&P monitor or the brand's monitor .inf)

flashing cursor is a game bug, and can't be helped. :tears:

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yes, that sounds lie smartgart did not initialize for some reason after the reboot (after the install)- I would reinsall too. I have had it happen before on one or two sets. After the reboot, sit and wait for the svreen to blink once- the check to make sure the smartgart service is running in the admistrative tools/services/smartgart

11. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

Hawk, thanks for info....But im getting off the game buy typing quit in console and it does the same thing,lose background.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  12. Below 30

Below 30 Video Games Fo Life

Just did a test with Dongle then DVI to my HDTV. I found that ATI has added the specific HDTV resolutons for Dongle, including the 1776x1000. So in the next releases, it will be nice for ATI to do the exact same for the DVI/FP.

13. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

dam very good set one problem though the same problem happens is the previous set aswell NO AA IN GAMES... the AA in most of the games i play have no AA enabled the AA may work on the games menu`s but when entering the game AA disables and when going back to the menu AA is still disabled ! to me this sucks and needs FIXED.. ASAP possibly next release please. ! catylist maker can you point this out to your DEV team please !

14. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

can you give me an example game that happens in?

AA is fine on my system

15. boby

boby New Member

that's very strange that AA doesn't work,because when i had 9500pro AA worked in every game,i noticed that 9800 useres have that problems

16. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

I noticed some people have install issues. I just use madhattah's guide stickied above with 1 step added. After cleaning out the reg files, just before rebooting I type msconfig in the run box and in the boot ini tab I check the use base video box. When Xp's rebooted it uses the same default vid driver that it uses when you do a clean install of Xp complete with the redX button asking if you want windows to resize your desktop..basically loading a standard vga driver. Upon rebooting I run the new driver installer then type in msconfig once more and uncheck the use base video box. I've never had one of those can't install error's since I started doing it this way, even after uninstalling tweaked drivers like Omega's. It works fine for Win 98 and Me as well. Don't know about 2000 don't have it.

17. armitage

armitage New Member

I'm still having problems with SWG and FS2004 crashing randomly.
    They will sometimes crash immediately, then other times work for hours. drwtsn32.exe does not record a crash log.

Booting with a Philips 180P2 LCD attached to the DVI port does not work. Attaching a second display to the VGA port allows the system to boot.

18. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

It would also be nice to know what resolution you are running and a little more about your display. I think you have a little room left in the signature for monitor specs, or did I miss it?

The display is a relatively important bit of your PC. :D Imagine gaming without it:D

19. instant_mash

instant_mash New Member

A bit of feedback...

Downloaded 'broadband' package. Uninstalled 4.1 with ATIuninstall, reboot, regclean & install, no probs.

Triied some games, POP runs fine, as does UT20004 demo & splinter cell. Feel good about this set, better vibe to it than 4.1! & OMG are the grey pixels in DX2 really gone or is it me? I ran with & without bloom/multisampling. Absolutely no corruption on the sink near the start under any conditions! Cany anyone else confrim? I might just play this game...

Thanks ATI :)

20. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Seems like a nice DFP. 1280x1024 native mode I believe?

I am involved in a rather lengthy thread at Rage 3d where a number of users have the same complaint booting up with a DVI panel connected. You may want to have a look. http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33735849

So far I have not been able to duplicate the problems. i.e. Flat panels are booting up fine. In fact I am typing this reply from home using a very nice 1280x1024 BENQ Flat Panel as the only connected display. Digital connection.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you. Can you tell me which video card are you using?

There is nothing conclusive ...yet... but most people who have contibuted details indicate a 9600 display card, and there is a lesser trend toward NForce chipsets in the PC. Again, nothing conclusive, so I need more input.

The RANDOM crashing is more difficult to pin down. It is most likely related to the combination of mobo, CPU, System memory and the present state of agp graphics. The first things to check into are the mobo chipset and agp drivers. And possibly the mobo BIOS. Usually the right combo of these items will fix things up. Unfortunately, it is up to the user (you) to figure out the combination that works best.

Anyway, fill in a few details and we can proceed from there.

CC