CATALYST 4.2 available now

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Feb 12, 2004.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Had to post my two cents worth on this set of drivers.
    Downloaded them yesteryday and installed them last night.First set I've used since the 3.9s as I always read up what others are saying here on DH and over at R3D about the drivers. These drivers seem to be working ok so far, though
    the "windows not blanking out when appling settings" did blank out but not for as long as it used to. No big deal there.Desk top looks fine running at 1280x1024x32. I do have a question though for the catalist maker, why does
    the Radeon 9800Pro or for that matter my old 8500 on the control panel tab only allwo a "MAX" resiloution of 1600x1200. My monitor says it will do up to 1920x1440 but the under the 3d tab on control panel it only will let me max at 1600x1200?? Why is this hell I'd play games at that level if the card would not restrict me to the lower res.Also why does the newer drivers restrict me to 75hz on refresh when the 3.9s with the box checked "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" would show me up to 100hertz. now it only goes to 75hertz. Would appreciate an answer to these questions. My games seem to work fine LOK-D
    IGI-2, also BloodRayne and last of all Will Rock. My Phillips monitor is a 109s(109s2). :)

2. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Just an added note:
    With Cod, (not sure about other games yet, as I am still installing some), but with Cod(call of duty), when you go to change the res, the screen flickers and blanks out for a split second, then sets to the res specified, but then the hz is set to 60hz. To resolve this, I have to exit the game, and start it again, guess it's a good thing I don't change res's alot heh.
    Anyways, jsut wanted to add this maybe CM would see it, and note it. I can replicate this each and every time I change the res, and each time it kicks to 60hz.
    Yes I have refresh set under monitors under the tabs
    Yes it's forced to 85hz, wich is what I use
    No I'm not, and never will use a refresh force program, unless so forced to, and the forceing doesn't work anymore within drivers.
    This happens from 640x480 res clear up to 1280x1024 res, each time the res is changed, it reverts to 60hz. Once you start the game again the hz rate stays. Not sure what is going on, just know I can replicate it each time, and maybe there is an issue with 4.2's and this.

3. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

When you did the Refresh Rate Override did you set it to Same as Desktop or did you set it to the exact Hz that your monitor uses as the setting for that resolution?

4. Max Powerz

Max Powerz New Member

Hey! I got another 300 points from these drivers with my old Radeon 8500/9100! Still 500 points off from my Windows 98 score, but were getting they're ;)

EDIT: Does anyone know if these drivers would use another 6MB on boot? I installed some other stuff (ZA and AVG) so it might be that, but earlier today I was using 70MB at boot and now im using 76MB... If it's part of teh drivers then great! If it's AVG or ZA then I'll have to get my 6MB back! lol.

5. DosCervezas

DosCervezas New Member

For CoD, RTCW, or any other quake based game do this:

Drop the console and type /seta r_displayrefresh "xx"

Also for the gamma problem. Use the Full screen 3D gamma setting in the ATI control panel. Then go into the game console and type: /seta r_ignorehwgamma "1" then /seta r_gamma "x" (any number from 1-3).

Now your desktop will stay at it's gamma setting and the game will stay at it's gamma setting.

6. easyrider

easyrider New Member

well, for hz, I set it for both what my monitor can do at that res, and what my desktop is, wich is 85hz. I normally just keep everything 85hz....I always match my highest res's hz rateing, so if it's 16x12 @ 100hz, I will set everything 100hz, if it's 16x12 @ 85hz, I will set everything 85hz, below the highest res of corse. This monitor doesn't do but 16x12 @75hz, so I use the max res of 1280x1024 @ 85hz for my res since I don't much like below that, and it tends to hurt my eyes, so since 1280x1024 is my top res at 85hz, and the next one up is 75hz (wich I won't use), then my top res and hz will be 85hz, and 1280x1024. I use 1280x960 as my res though, whenver possible.
    I never really had an issue with gamma, and this hz issue isn't really that big of a deal, since MOST times, once res is set, it's set, and I don't change it, so therfor it'll never have the issue :).

I just wanted to mention it, as Cm was posting and replying, so maybe it could be resolved or looked at or something or maybe it would helpt TO resolve it or fix it.

thanks for the reply though.

7. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

Catylist maker / Catylist Catcher nice names :D

ok i can name 2 games so far that i have tested :

Chrome and SplinterCell

Both have no AA in game .

as for my monitor it worked fine with my old 9700 Pro with v3.7 cats.

but now that i have upgraded to 9800 XT from 3.8 . 3.9 . 3.10 and the latest sets give me no AA .

all i know about my monitor is its max resolution is 1280x1024 has CTX writen on the front and is i think 18/19"

====================================

i will have more games to list as soon as i can get the time to install

i also have Artifacts well i dont think they are but you no the new installer LOGO 2 pages back well i get Horizontal Lines through the Image like little ones not the hole width of the image
    it happened with the last installed LOGO aswell. just recently this happened with 3.10 and 3.20 drivers.
    i have no idea whats teh cause as it does not reflect in games or anything but since im talking to to CAT guru`s i thought i would say something about it.

8. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Splintercell + fsaa has been a known issue since way back when. The game is at fault for this, it's not worked with fsaa for awhile. It enables but then you get washed out lighting and bright lights effect and can't see anything else. It even has the same effect with nvidia cards as well, this is a known issue with the game. Only way to work around it is not use fsaa. I sue powerstrip, or something else that has profiles, and turn fsaa of for that specific game, and use fsa on for the rest

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Holy crap ATi is finally responing to questions about antialiasing.

Oh happy day!

Try this, even though the game kinda sux, load up Toca race driver on a system with a 9700pro and using any drivers past 3.9 and try to play a game with AA forced on in control panel.. It doesn't work in races, only in the "office" then AA is off until you restart game..

AA is not being forced on in the CP? It cannot be just the game becuase older drivers let AA work...

10. easyrider

easyrider New Member

I noticed some people saying they had issues with 4.2 and bf:1942 and haveing missing textures. I will ask, is this on jsut certain maps or no matter what map? I jsut played online and a sp game, and had no missing textures with 4.2.
    let me know wich map specific and I'll see if I cna't test it. I have Dc as well, so let me know and I'll give it a try

11. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

OK, I tried the seperated download as well as redownloading the "broadband" set. I received the same results as detailed in my first post in this thread. Bummer. I guess this set just doesn't agree with my hardware. :(

EDIT: I tried the Omega set with the same results.

Let me clarify my problem with NFS: Porsche....

While you CAN start a race and that plays fine, the drop down boxes in the game (specifically in "evolution" mode) that let you select cars, tracks, etc. are blank, they are just open transparent selection boxes with no option inside.

Anyone else get this? May be specific to BBA 8500 128DDR.....or my hardware configuration......

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  12. Max Powerz

Max Powerz New Member

I got "flashing ground textures" if I was in a helicoptor and could see large areas of the ground in DC (mayby BF too, can't remember), that was with 4.1s tho, havn't seen nay with 4.2s yet. It may have been overclocking as well..

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I know some people were experiencing problems with Prince of Persia sands of time and AA, can anyone confirm whether this issue is resolved for them?

14. dzjepp

dzjepp Black Mesa

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone has commented on this yet or not so I will keep it short. I'm not sure if this is Catalyst related but it might be. When I play BF1942 with a Catalyst 4.2, 4.1 release I get flickering in the game menu (it's like the '60Hz bug'). I am on Windows XP and I only experience the flickering in the BF1942 game menu. The actuall game runs fine, with no noticeable flickering. I have a 'built by ATI' Radeon 9800 Pro 120MB.

EDIT: Sorry my fault, I just messed with RefreshForce a little bit and it turns out the menu looks fine now, no flickering. :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  15. Max Powerz

Max Powerz New Member

Actually, on the main menu of battlefield, I get what look to be core artifacts from my vcard, but my friend gets them too and he's using old cats and not overclocking.. Game problem?

16. easyrider

easyrider New Member

Just ran ut2003, latest patch 2555, 4xfsaa, 16xaniso, all settings maxed as possible, a few other twekas t make even more visually nice, wich would be a slow down, on map gael, 4 bots, 1280x960x32 res, cat 4.2, and got 50-60 fps in ut2003.

17. Junk

Junk New Member

same ol' madden 2k4 problem on my end as well..

18. easyrider

easyrider New Member

I lost my madden disks, so I can't test it, but maybe you can..........try this, I was told it works.
    When you start the game, during the players warm up, hit alt+enter, then alt+enter again full screen, and fsaa now works, or so I am told.
    please let me know if this works or not.

19. ivan300

ivan300 Booooo

they broke these drivers again. with the 4.1 i had no crashes what so ever. i install the 4.2 and my video crashes every once in a while again :'(

20. Markius

Markius New Member

i have found a problem with the 4.2 for me, Deus Ex Invisible War crashes to desktop, no vpu recovery error or anything. So for now its back to 3.10 for me :(