CATALYST 4.4 available

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CATALYST maker, Apr 7, 2004.

1. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  2. AiS|Gil-galad

AiS|Gil-galad New Member

3. Dom

Dom New Member

Yay!

4. FrankenBerrie

FrankenBerrie New Member

Woo Hoo!!! I will give these a wirl tonight.... Anyone know when 4.5 will be released? :duh: :duh:

5. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

yaya i got them frist :p

6. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

It's that time of the month again, for new Catalyst Drivers. The Catalyst 4.4's are now out.

Some of what you can expect:

Resolved CATALYSTâ„¢ Driver Issues

*Connecting a secondary CRT and enabling VPU Recover no longer results in the operating system failing to restore itself
    *The new rotation implementation no longer fails to update the desktop when doing a mode set on exit
    *Setting the display resolution to 1024x768 32bpp and switching the DVI connector for HDTV to 480i no longer results in the HDTV device
    not working within the ATI Control Panel
    *Setting the display resolution to 1152x864 32bpp under Windows XP and playing an MPEG or AVI file using the Windows Media Player no
    longer results in display corruption on the TV output
    *Setting the display resolution to 1920x1080 on an ATI RADEON 9700 PRO when connected to a specific monitor no longer results in the
    image not being display
    *The file version and the product version information is now correct

As usual get the drivers on www.ati.com

Read the Release Notes Here

**Rate The Drivers in our forum - ATI document the scores so please make sure to vote !

7. OnlyNewZ

OnlyNewZ New Member

NO Windows 9x and ME.. I would say upgrade!

ATI is slowing down the amount of 9x postings as Microsoft has officially stopped taking WHQL submissions for it.

8. massimo

massimo New Member

Not good at all, these drivers just shows me that ati does not care about professionals.
    They did non fix the gamma issue and this really disappoint me.
    I can use the 4.1 driver of course but i don't like this at all.
    I understood that ATI is good just for gamer

9. OnlyNewZ

OnlyNewZ New Member

Dont be scared ;)

ATI is slowing down that means when a lot of people need new drivers then ATI will definetly look what they can do for them.

Best way to solve your gamma issue is to send some feedback.
    http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/index.asp

10. dorkz

dorkz Striving to overcome

That Catalyst comparison AiS|Gil-galad posted shows degrading of FPS each driver edition... :S

11. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Here's my feedback on the drivers...

I'm having gamma issues with this set. For my useage the decision to have the drivers control the gamma is unhelpful, causes complications and does waste some of my time. I would much prefer that applications/games controlled the gamma individually.

I also feel the OpenGL refresh rate bug is still occuring in these drivers, can anyone confirm?

Disneys Toontown Online has a default resolution of 1280x1024 and this causes me issues with these drivers/my monitor and the refresh rate. I'll report this issue to the programmers as i am a tester for them and so issues like this can be ironed out. I'll submit it to catalyst feedback and maybe ATI and the game designers can work through it together.

***EDITED to bring all issues into one post - V3***

12. Captn

Captn New Member

TY CATALYST maker, These NEW drivers fixed my Battlefield Vietnam issues. WOO HOO :cool:

13. massimo

massimo New Member

I am not scared, i am disappointed.
    the professional photoshop useres is not a minority
    i am just very very disappointed by the ati devellopers decisions also i don't understand their marketing people decisions.
    anyway there are many cards manifacturers
    cheers

14. OnlyNewZ

OnlyNewZ New Member

Hi, those results are also based on system performance.. every system get other results depends on software and hardware running. For example the results of UT2003 Botmatch in that article was based on the Botmatch (generates bots in the game and uses CPU power) that influence on the results.

Google search links: ATI+3.10+VS+ATI+4.1+VS+ATI+4.2 - ATI+CATALYST+3.10+VS+ATI+CATALYST+4.1+VS+ATI+CATALYST+4.2 :lol: :D

massimo indeed alot of cards manifacturers

15. SJae

SJae Banned

Since I'm mostly a gamer on this computer, "crippling issues" included the Splinter Cell:pandora Tomorrow shadow artifact as well as the BF1942 artifact. For me, ATI is my hero for fixing those annoying issues and this driver couldn't have come any sooner.

I think you're being quite harsh there, my friend.
    ;)

16. Toasty_Rimjob

Toasty_Rimjob New Member

I always love posts by people who think they are the only customer with bugs. Just because they haven't fixed your particular problems doesn't mean nothing was fixed. Call of Duty fix AND BF-Vietnam fix, yay- thanks Catalyst Maker. Keep up the good work.

17. nighteyes

nighteyes New Member

I've installed the 4.4's and like all other ones they are great.

And to the one complaining about the bugs. Have you even read the release notes? Because they did make a lot of fixes, including NON-game fixes. Yes they put in the things that they haven't fixed in the release notes as well, but is that bad? Off course not. Nvidia doesn't do that, but do you thing they are bug free? Of course NOT! Did you send your problems to ati? Have you heard about other people who have the same problem? If so, advise them to send a description of it to ati.

I would like to add: keep up the good work ati!

18. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

Why is it that the drivers have fixes for the FarCry demo and SpliterCell (both UBI games), but not fixes for Ravenshield or Athena Sword? I know that its impossibe to fix isues of all games. There are AA and AAF issues in the games that have been reported, but yet no fixes for them. Plus why fix issues with demos and not the games, you know what i mean.

19. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

Ever thought something might be up with your driver install? Maybe something got corrupted? Tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

I have yet to come across any gamma issues.

However, if your monitor can't display anything @ 1280 over 60HZ, maybe the card and drivers aren't the problem. If your doing graphics editing, you and I both know that the monitor is not something you should skimp on.

20. Julian_K

Julian_K New Member

alright, to help crash out here and end the " it will be fixed" or " maybe your install went wrong" posts, here is the OFFICIAL statement from ATi on their site.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Color Calibration utilities no longer change desktop or game gamma
    The information in this article applies to the following:
    CATALYST 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 Display Drivers

Upon making changes to certain monitor calibration software, the gamma settings will not be applied or loaded for the display. Color and gamma profiles for third party applications and games are also affected.

By design of these drivers, all color and gamma settings are controlled via the ATI Color tab in Display Properties. This feature allows for separate control of gamma and color profiles for 2D and 3D applications. It is advised to use the ATI Color tab as a central location to maintain color and gamma profiles.

For those who require the use of 3rd party color and gamma calibration software, you may download and install the previous CATALYST 4.1 display drivers.

INFO-BASE file # 4501
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

And Crash is quite right to be really upset and consider going Nvidia now.
    I myself have never before posted anything negative about Ati, hell.. I didn't post much at all. Whenever there was a bug with a game I usually just patiently waited for the next driver release.

But THIS is something totally different. When it comes to the professional work I have to do for a living on my comp, I need Hard & software I can rely on, at least in the most crucial basic functions. For anybody doing professional graphics on a computer, whether be that for print, digital presentation, game development etc.. color calibration IS crucial, its simply a MUST.

Now I have been waiting for 3 driver releases already to fix this rather serious bug, only to find out now, its not a bug , but ATI decided it has to be that way from now on and if all the people who work with Photoshop and the likes don't like it they have to stick with the 4.1 Cats . Eh.. Pardon?

Countless years of established and functional color management for a state of the art pixel editing software likew Adobe Photoshop, used by 99% of Graphics Artists/Designers,- (show me a game developer who does textures without ever using Photoshop, and I show you how to turn yoghurt to gold) - and Ati just suddenly says "pffffs who needs it anyway, let's deliberately break it" ???

Seriously if it were April 1. today, I would be 100% sure its just a joke.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004