CATALYST 4.5 Released !

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by HardwareHeaven, May 12, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its that time again for all you driver fanatics, the latest offical release from ATI and available at www.ati.com

Here are some of the release notes for the latest set:

Resolved CATALYSTâ„¢ Driver Issues
    This section provides information on CATALYSTâ„¢ driver issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYSTâ„¢. These include the following:
    Display corruption is no longer seen when applying rotation mode to a secondary monitor

Resolved Game Issues
    This section provides information on game issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYSTâ„¢. These include the following:

**Playing the game Desert Rats vs. Afirka Korps with the game resolution set to 1600x1200 and the desktop display set to 1024x768 32bpp along with Anti-Aliasing set to 4x no longer results in flashing and or corrupt shadows
    **The game Prince of Persia: Sands of Time no longer fails to play under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9100 or 8500 series product installed
    **Setting the graphics quality to anything higher than Fastest in the game Virtual Skipper 3 no longer results in the operating system failing to respond when the game menu loads
    **Playing the game Nascar 2003 with the display resolution set to 1280x1024 32bpp no longer results in display corruption being seen
    **Texture corruption is no longer seen when playing the game Second Life under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9800 or 9700 series card installed
    **Textures are no longer missing when moving the mouse around to change the camera angle in the game Joan of Arc
    **Intermittent display corruption noticed on the players image with in the game Madden NFL 2004 is now resolved

Playing the game Homeworld 2 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9500 series, 9600 XT, or 9700 series no longer results in the game failing to respond when the shadow option within the game is selected
    Missing polygons on the satellite within the main menu is now resolved in the game Hegemonia
    A performance decrease is no longer noticed when setting the game option to Perfect in the game IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles

Caution: Forcing on Anti-Aliasing is now permitted. This will permit users to use Anti-Aliasing on games such as Madden 2004 (which users are requesting). Forcing on Anti-Aliasing (through the CATALYSTâ„¢ control panel) in the the following games will cause corruption. Anti-Aliasing is not compatible with the following games:

· Prince Of Persia: Sands of Time
    · Splinter Cell / Pandoras Box
    · Race Driver (TOCA)
    · Crazy Taxi 3

As always any issues should be reported to the CATALYSTâ„¢ CREW feedback program. Please refer to http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/ and provide ATI further feedback.

As always Discuss in our forum here and rate the drivers so ATI can get feedback on how well the new drivers are performing in this thread

2. thewall

thewall New Member

Cool. First I installed the betas this morning. Now I am gonna install these original ones then in a week or 2 I guess I am gonna install the omegas. Fun fun fun:) Anyway, thank's for great support. Always fun to see what you guys come up with.

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Sweet Zardon I guess it's time to try out something new again ;)

4. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

How come I always install the drivers a month late? I just rebuild my OS today and installed the 4.4s - I was using the 4.3s since about a month ago. I'm amazed I'm so behind the times:rolleyes:

5. SJae

SJae Banned

lol

You don't have to be "left behind" if you just make an image of your clean OS setup and restore it everytime before installing a new driver set.

That's what I do anyways. My "clean" image has all programs installed already with settings the way I like. Only thing the image is missing is the GPU driver. That way, I KNOW I won't have any inter-driver issues with new driver updates.

The only programs I install after each restoration are the games. But, it's a small inconvenience compared to what may possible go wrong during driver updates.

6. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Where's the rating thread- I give them a ten w/o even downloading them!
    --->because of this:

"Caution: Forcing on Anti-Aliasing is now permitted."

Way to go ATI!

8. Chilljf

Chilljf New Member

The 4.5 cats default Z Buffer Depth to 16 in Direct3D. All previous Cats default to 16,24;8 bit stencil. I also noticed default Z Buffer Depth default to 16 in the leaked x800 set. I am using radlinker 1008 to check it. Could radlinker be reporting it incorrectly? Isnt Z Buffer Depth 16 much worse IQ than 16,24:8 bit stencil?

9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort New Member

How do your force on AA? Everyting in cp looks the same to me as other versions. Turning on AA, AF in BFV still causes corruption, same old BS.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Before AA wouldn't be forced on in games that did not support AA by default- now it will force it on if you wnat to try it out...

That corruption in AA in those other games seems like a "way it's meant to be played" - Nvidia shenanigans. It only happens in Nvidia sponsored games that I can see.I really can't blame ATI for that. I think it's the games lack of compatibility.

11. Bucksnort

Bucksnort New Member

OK, Thanks for the clarification. EA games is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That is very true.

13. brownstonemr

brownstonemr New Member

3dmark03 results:

Omega 2536b (Fast Write OFF (Default) ) = 3474

ATI 4.5 = 3456
    ATI 4.5 (Fast Write turned to OFF) = 3436

Settings : Application Preferance and everthing set to high/optimal performance.

C'mon OMEGA!!!!!!!

14. edperks

edperks Life is Good

I have downloaded them and will install tomorrow I LOVE ATI

15. Skillz

Skillz New Member

Display issue solved!

"Display corruption is no longer seen when applying rotation mode to a secondary monitor"

Am I happy to read this! I uninstalled the latest Omega's because of this issue.
    I use the secondary monitor ALOT!

Still I have to see for myself if it's really solved tho, but I have faith in ATi :)

16. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

ToCA Race Driver 2:

The shadows are missing under the cars when shadow quality is set to high though the game's setup config. You have to back off the shadow quality to medium to get any shadows under them at all....and then they are just lame squares under the cars. Other shadows are working fine (shadows from trees and poles over the cars), but under the cars, they are just GONE.

Yes, I DO understand not to force AA in this game. :rolleyes:

Since this game is one that I am playing quite intensely right now, these drivers are a bust for me.

On a good note, KOTOR doesn't experience that nasty framerate drop that was introduced in the 4.4's, so that's fixed.

I'd have to say I'm a bit disappointed to not see the new Control Panel styling. I was kinda looking forward to that. I guess that's next months update, eh?

17. HardwareHeaven

Rayder did the shadows work in the last set?

18. HawK

HawK Banned

Can confirm Driver2 (mine=DTM version) has lost it's shadows in highQ
    previous drivers (4.4) did have the full shadows, not that I realy care, it is a farce of a simulation anyway, Codemasters they call themselfs Klootmasters is more like it..:evil:

Edit: Another race game: GTR Demo, still has full shadows

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  19. HardwareHeaven

Interesting shadows are vanishing in certain games, anyone/anything else?

20. HawK

HawK Banned

Race Driver 2 again, setting High-res bonnets reflection to on, will make Cars dissapear in certain view mode (outside Cockpit)