Catalyst 7.10 with X1950 AGP support?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by JohnDoe47, Sep 30, 2007.

1. madant

madant New Member

Maybe we need a sticky for this specific topic :)

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Nah...it keeps getting bumped to the top anyway. ;)

3. idinh

idinh New Member

I just installed the 7.10's yesterday following ATI instructions (delete CCC and driver using add/remove programs; reboot pc and installed 7.10) and they work fine so far.

I only played some TF2 but had no problems.

My vid card is a Visiontek X1950 Pro XGE AGP.

I wa previsouly using the 7.7's.

4. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 New Member

I keep seeing these threads..but the strange thing is im running both my AGP cards (Powercolor X1950 pro & GeCube 9600XT) on the Cat7.10s without any drama's..previously i was using the Cat7.7 and Omega 7.9.1 without any dramas either..:confused:

5. madant

madant New Member

Maybe it's a Windows problem with some update...

6. blitz.xp

blitz.xp New Member

this worked for me too! :)
    (remember to copy the .dll on safe mode, otherwise you cant overwrite)

7. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

We shouldn't have to this silly workaround... what the hell is wrong with ATI/AMD and these drivers?

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

a quick question about drivers of the 7.7 and up....does this affect all AGP cards, or only the x1950pro cards?

i wonder because recently i reformatted a friend's machine which had a 9600pro card in it. and for fear of this issue, i put on the 7.6 driver.

9. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

I know it affected my son's Sapphire 1600PRO. It even failed after a fresh install of Windows.

10. madant

madant New Member

It seems DAAMIT is working on something else which has priority at the moment. I would guess drivers for RV670 is the thing, so they are tweaking everything for HD series.

It is understandable 'cause they have to get their ass out of the gutter with this new one, but still... Too many AGP cards out there for now, and upgrade time for most AMD users (as for me also) will be when the new AM2+ chipset is out in a few weeks.

But if you annoy users with this kind of major error you will turn more than a few heads toward nvidias' new card.

Ccc... :bleh:

11. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Oh there is no doubt I'll go Nvidia next time. The lost me as a customer due to this problem.

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  12. CDsDontBurn

and i'll help you out as an NVIDIOT ;)

tee-hee :D

13. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

Fixed on my new drivers, stop QQ :rofl:

14. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Thank you, THANK YOU!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  15. JohnDoe47

JohnDoe47 New Member

There is no doubt about the fact that AMD are loosing this race in graphic cards. Yes AMD will keep bringing out new cards to compete but when it comes to performance NVIDIA are by far the leaders. NVIDIA are on the verge of mass producing 9800GTX's whilst AMD are starting to tweak their 2900Series.

Believe it or not I'm an AMD fan boy and always will be but if you want to take a giant step into the future of graphics then I'm sad to say NVIDIA is your answer. Why 'Matrox' couldn't stay in the game I don't have a clue.

I remember at one point when I upgraded from my Asus A9600XT/TVD to an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT and NVIDIA never released ANY drivers for a 6 month period !!! Now look at NVIDIA, new drivers nearly every week ! AMD may have there dodgy driver release every so often but at least they have a new driver every month.

And as for my near approaching transition to PCI-E...what is the point? I may as well wait for PCI-E 2.0 as thats just starting to come around. AGP is still the clear choice for me as companies such as Intel can't decide what the hell they want to do (I will release a new CPU every week), PC's become outdated every 6 months. As for me I'm 3.5 years out of date.

And to finish off my thread title (Catalyst 7.10 with X1950 AGP support); the answer is yes.

16. CDsDontBurn

if i could afford to go pci-e right now, i could. despite that pci-e 2.0 is just about here.

17. blitz.xp

blitz.xp New Member

I had this issue with an ASUS Radeon 9600XT

18. bman

bman New Member

Well... I thank you for your work but what you did is not really a fix... What you did is simply what has already been said in this thread, if it's an AGP card you simply use the direct3d file from the 7.7 drivers.

This is a problem that ATI must address and i expect them to really fix the problem.

19. nasman

nasman New Member

i thought i'd share my experience - recently purchased a sapphire x1950pro 512mb agp card and only installed the 7.10 drivers (with ati tray tools and not ccc) which seemed to be working fine with games like pes6 and the recent unreal/lostplanet/enemyterritory demos, although i did notice small graphical glitches (white spotting) from time to time.

then i installed the crysis demo yesterday and saw that lots of problems with polygons intersecting each other and occlusion type stuff not working properly. i installed the 7.7 driver over the 7.10's and crysis displays absolutely fine without glitches and with fps in the 30's in low-medium type settings (p4 3ghz, 2gb ram).

i think those people who say the 7.10 works are probably not aware of driver problems depending on what games they are playing.

anyhoo, hope that helps a little.

20. Volcom929

Volcom929 New Member

Hmmm Catalyst 7.10 work fine for me, have been playng Crysis demo, HL2 Ep 2, WoW, FEAR, and other games fine. I installed the 7.10's with a clean wipe of the old drivers too. This PC is 3+ years old minus the X1950 and still does pretty damn good for what I use it for.