Catalyst install problem - access denied

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by ltorg, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ltorg

ltorg New Member

Tried to upgrade my version 5 ATI 9600XT driver to the 6.6 Catalyst/driver package - folloed ATI's instruction, and the automatic install program failed with some advice to load VGA drivers and try again.

Couldn't get the new hardware wizard to find anything like Standard VGA drivers (kept offering me RAGE drivers which are in drivers.inf).

Tried manual driver update - Ran ATI's manual uninstall, did all I could find on ATI's site, even ran drivercleaner, rebooted into safe mode, etc. Manual install always ends up the same way - all the ATI driver files get copied into the system32 directory, and then at the end of the process, I get an error message (from the new hardware wizard) that the driver installation failed and the reason is "access denied" (while logged on as admin from safe mode).

I tried everything in the thread "Driver installation guide for n00bs", I've tried everything on ATI's site I could find - can't load a standard VGA driver because it isn't found by the hardware wizard, can't load the ATI drivers (any of them now) because of the "access denied" problem.

Anyone seen this?

thanks for any tips!

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The only thing that comes to mind that I don't think you've tried is this:

Go into Device Manager while in Safemode, and REMOVE the instances found for the Display adapter. There likely will be some Exclamation marks on them if the driver didn't install properly.

Once you REMOVE them, shutdown the computer, unplug it for a couple of minutes. Then, restart it and let Windows proceed to install it. Even if it doesn't find the VGA drivers, let it proceed. Don't cancel anything.

Once that's done, reboot again and then see if the official drivers will install.

Let us know the outcome.

3. ltorg

ltorg New Member

Problem fixed

After trying everything you suggested, I finally spent $35 talking to Microsoft - they elevated the case to the "research department", and they had me use a program called subinacl.exe and a script they furnished, which reset all the file permissions on my system back to default values (apparently this tool only works on WinXP Pro).

After the file permissions got reset, the drivers loaded just fine and everything is working now - without reloading Windows or anything ugly like that.

No clue as to what registry or file permission was causing the problem unfortunately, and no clue as to how it got changed..

Anyway thanks for your advice - hope my problem was an isolated one!

4. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Member

next time, use filemon and regmon from sysinternals.com ;)

-andy-