Cats5.4 Doom3 problem with Triple Buffering and Fastwrites.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by racingx, Apr 20, 2005.

1. racingx

racingx New Member

Has anyone else tried using Cats5.4 with Triple Buffering and AGP Fastwrites enabled? I loaded up Doom3 again after a fresh format with Cats5.4 after building my new rig (see sig below) and noticed if I enable triple buffering for Opengl through the ATI Control Panel and v-sync in the Doom3 video options with AGP Fastwrites enabled I get flashing shadows on characters and background objects right after they drop you off at mars in the beginning of the game when the ship is still hovering overhead.

There are 2 ways I can get rid of this problem using Cats5.4 the first is to go into the motherboard bios and disable AGP Fastwrites or I can just disable Triple Buffering in the ATI Control panel and the flashing shadows will stop. At first I thought oh well must be a problem with Fastwrites being enabled on my motherboard even though I only saw the flashing shadows with triple buffering and Fastwrites enabled. Like I said if I disable one of these the flashing goes away. Also Doom3 is the only game I have seen any problems with so far.

Well I decided to roll back to an earlier build of drivers (Cats 5.1) and test this out. I expected to see the flashing shadows again with AGP Fastwrites and Triple Buffering enabled but to my surprise they were not there at all no weird flashing shadows or any problems at all. I decided maybe I had a bad install with Cats5.4 so I uninstalled Cats5.1 used DCpro in safe mode and loaded Cats5.4 back on my computer. Well the flashing shadows came back with AGP Fastwrites and Triple Buffering enabled.

So my question now is has anyone else seen anything like this with Doom3 and Cats5.4 with Triple Buffering and AGP Fastwrites enabled? It might be related to the Via K8T800 pro chipset and AGP Fastwrites but like I said if that were the case I would have seen the flashing textures with Cats 5.1 also.

2. Vany7777

Vany7777 New Member

OMFG! :eek:

Incredibly, I have been experiencing the exact same problems in Doom 3 for almost a month, except that I am using a PCI-Express card so I don't need to worry about Fastwrites. However, I did what you said and disabled Triple Buffering in my drivers and, lo and behold, the flashing shadows and the artifacting is completely gone!

Wow! :duh: [​IMG]

So, it was a driver problem all along.

Time to alert ATI... (reaches for the phone)

PS: Now I don't need to RMA my card! :lol:

3. racingx

racingx New Member

Wow so its not just specific to AGP/Via chipsets huh? Im surprised there have not been more post on this subject seeing as many people are using Cats5.4 that play Doom3 and own x800 series based cards.

4. Kezz

Kezz New Member

Errr, those flashing textures don't appear to be green, do they? Cause that's my problem using UniAn's 5.3 driver set :)

5. racingx

racingx New Member

Well I guess if you wanna keep using the Direct3d portion of Cats5.4 you could just download the OpenGL driver from Cats5.1 and extract them to the Doom3 directory. I tested this OpenGL driver and you can use Fastwrites with Triple Buffering and not get the flashing shadow problem. Not really a fix but more of a temporary work around for now.

6. racingx

racingx New Member

I wonder if ATI did somenthing in there new drivers that effect AMD Winchester users because you and me both have Winchester cores. I reported this problem over at rage3d also and spyre was not able to replicate this problem with his x800. I am just trying to figure out what the common denominator is between our two systems is that could be causing this with the newest drivers.

7. Vany7777

Vany7777 New Member

adasddasawd

That could be entirely possible. However, this would essentially make fixing from problem our end impossible.

Can you explain how to do this?

I posted my situation on the Futuremark forums, and I got a very interesting response that may be shed some light on the real source of the problem. Unfortunately, it also means that you and I may have no choice but to RMA our cards.

This could easily be the case. However, since you say that your card works perfectly with the Catalyst 5.1's, that brings us back to the likelihood that there is a driver conflict with some other component of our system that has an adverse effect on OpenGL games.

I would also like to point out that I am currently experiencing similar problems to those Doom 3 in Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (another OpenGL game). Once again, the problems seemed linked to memory-intensive features like AA and Triple Buffering.

Clearly, we need to investigate further. However, in the meantime, I would be very appreciative if you explain to me how to specifically use 5.1 OpenGL driver in conjunction with the 5.4 Direct3D driver. :)

PS: I am not using a 24 pin power connector from my PSU to my motherboard. Currently, I have a 20 pin power connector plugged in alongside a seperate four pin connector. Could this have anything to do with the problem? After all, the X800 XL does draw its power from the motherboard via the PCI-Express bus. I have a 24 pin connector in the mail from Ultra, so hopefully I will be able to perform a test to see if this is the case in the near future.

8. racingx

racingx New Member

Well to use an older OpenGL file you need to actually install a older set of drivers on your system first. After you install the drivers look in the Windows/System32 folder for a file that says ATIOglxx.dll or somenthing to that extent and that is the ATI OpenGL driver file. Copy and save that file somewere on your computer. Then install the Cats5.4 back on your system and put the OpenGL file from Cats5.1 in your Doom3 directory and the next time you launch Doom3 it will use the older OpenGL file that is located in the Doom3 Directory instead of the ones installed with Cats 5.4. I dont really think it is my video card because if I disable AGP Fastwrites in the motherboard bios the problem goes away with Cats 5.4. Maybe on your PCI-E based system Fastwrites is called somenthing else that is enabled by default. A quick way to test is to watch the HDTV WMV file Called Step Into Liquid 1080 version and see if it uses up 100% of your CPU and stutters. If it does then that means you do not have a similar settings as Fastwrites. If it doesnt stutter then it means you do and that is probably why you are seeing the same thing I am.

9. Vany7777

Vany7777 New Member

Well, I watched the HDTV trailer you recommended and, while my CPU usage howevered between 70% to 85%, I did not experience any stuttering or corruption.

I'm going to install the driver now and see what kind of results I get. Do you think swapping the OpenGL driver would work with Riddick?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  10. racingx

racingx New Member

Ok you didnt get the stutter that means that the equevelent to AGP Fastwrites on your system is enabled. This would make since because you are seeing the flashing shadows in Doom3 also with triple buffering enabled. When I disable AGP Fastwrites in the bios I get 100% cpu usage and stutter in the "Step Into Liquid" movie, but if I enable AGP Fastwrites in the bios and watch the "Step into Liquid" movie it inly uses between 70-80% cpu usage and is smooth with no stutters.

11. Vany7777

Vany7777 New Member

All right, I am using the 5.1 OpenGL driver with Triple Buffering enabled, and I am 100% stable in Doom 3. That goes a long way to proving that our issue lies in ATI's driver, not in our cards.

As for the "fastwrites equivalent," I'm a little skeptical. There very well may be one, but I am completely clueless as to what it is called. To me, it seems more likely that the "Step Into the Liquid" trailer runs fine simply because this is a PCI-Express based system and therefore not prone to the problems experienced by AGP systems when trying to play the trailer.

PS: I'm still experiencing some "artifacting" in Riddick, but at this point I think it's probably safe to assume that such glitches can be attributed to poor coding on the part of the development team rather than a driver problem. I did a little reading on the game, and there seem to be minor graphical errors that inevitably crop up regardless one's system configuration.

12. racingx

racingx New Member

What video options do you have enabled in the motherboard bios? I am curious as to why it only seems you and I are seeing this problem. I am still pointing towards the "Winchester" cores on the new AMD's or somenthing. We need to really post detailed specs on this I think. Just out of curiosity are you also getting poor preformance with the latest cats and HL2? Because on my end I get bad stuttering with a 1280x1024 resolution with high textures with Cats 5.4.

13. Vany7777

Vany7777 New Member

It very well may be a motherboard setting in the BIOS that is causing the problem. However, I really don't have any idea where to start troubleshooting in that regard. Nothing jumps out at me. Would someone point me in the right direction?

14. e v o

e v o New Member

Yeah this is a known problem (unfortunately) for any system, regardless of overclock on the card. It's too bad, because that game looks so beautiful:taste:

15. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Member

i too get weird artefacts in doom3 when tripple buffering is enabled with cats 5.4. but i don't really mind, everything works fine with tripple buffering disabled..

-andy-

16. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

Nothing out of the ordinary with me. Both games work fine with 5.4 OGL and triple buffering enabled.

17. racingx

racingx New Member

Andy would you mind listing your system specs please?

18. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Member

here they are:
    board: abit av8 3rd-eye (via k8t800 pro)
    cpu: athlon64 (winchester) 3000+ @ 2,52 ghz
    ram: 2x 512mb twinmos @ 2-3-3-8-1t
    gfx: madview radeon 9800se @ pro
    sound: realtek alc658 (onboard)

i need to have fastwrites enabled because of hdtv videos.
    tell me, if you want to know more..

-andy-

19. racingx

racingx New Member

Thanks for the reply -andy- just as I suspect this seems to be a problem with either the K8T800pro chipset or the new AMD64 "Winchester" core. You are the 3rd person including myself that sees this problem and the one thing we all have in common is the Athlon64 Winchester core. I dont think it is a K8T800pro chipset problem though because another guy who sees this is using the PCI-E Nforce4 motherboard.

20. racingx

racingx New Member

I submitted a bug report to ATI, Andy and Vany7777 could you do the same please. Make sure you point out the fact that you are both using the AMD Winchester cores too.