Change gamma slider scale in Catalyst

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by dansrfe, Oct 17, 2010.

1. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

Is there a registry tweak or something that can be done so that it is possible to change the gamma in catalyst in increments of 0.1 or even better, 0.01 instead of 0.5? I know the right value for my display is somewhere in-between 0.75 and 0.70 and I really want to be able to reach that point instead of settling on something up-to more than 0.4 away. Thanks!

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

You should be able to use 0.05 increments, at least that's how it works for me, just use the small up and down arrows next to the field with the current value. You won't be able to get exactly the value between 0.7 and 0.75, but either of those should be close enough (especially if you use a standard TN+film monitor because with those gamma is highly dependent on your current viewing angle and at any moment very different at the top of your monitor to the value at its bottom).

Also, do you use windows default drivers for your monitor or those from the manufacturer? The original manufacturer's driver should come with colour profiles speifically designed for the particular model and give you slightly better colour reproduction.

3. dansrfe

dansrfe New Member

I'm sorry lol. Mistake on my part. I meant if I can get anything more specific than 0.05 increments to 0.01 increments or even 0.001 increments would be great. if there is some registry tweak or file to patch. I'm using mobility modded 10.9 drivers on my ati hd radeon 4570 laptop.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Not sure really. You can check ATI Tray Tools, I know it can change gamma, but I don't know in what increment. Other than that, there's almost certainly a way to do it through registry, but I don't know where to look and it's not even certain that the driver would accept those values.

But I don't think that there's much use in banging your head over this, and I'll show you why. Load this page and scroll down so that the picture with the repeating word "lagom" fills your screen. Notice the band on the screen where the letters disappear? That's the portion of your screen with correct gamma and, while you can move it up and down, you can't make that band wider. So, whatever you do, gamma on most of your screen is always going to be off by significantly more than 0.05. :(