Change location of temp dir

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by merry, Nov 6, 2006.

1. merry

merry gargouille

from "C:\Documents and Settings\merry\Local Settings\Temp" to, say, "G:\temp", can it be done? (and how). I'm running from a minuscule 2.5GB partition, and there isn't much room left for temp files.

paging Panging :)

thanks

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

create a folder on G drive name it Temp
    and edit the value of the variables Temp and TMP on both the User and System variables
    and then reboot you computer.

[​IMG]

Vikingod likes this.
  3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Question along the same line...

Is it possible to change the default of 'My Documents', to say, a separate partition? silly I know, just curious.

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

move my document
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...y+document&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

i personally don't like to do that as i believe some problem can occur at later time, so i don't move any system files/folders that i think it will cause any problem to Windows and/or other software system. however, instead of moving the whole dir i move just something that are belong to the third party programs and the changes can be done within the setting of programs themself.

Chaos likes this.
  5. merry

merry gargouille

Panging strikes again :)

For My Documents just right click -> properties ->
    target, and enter the partition (choose empty partition, you will be prompted to move files). I keep My Documents on a separate partition for several years, without experiencing any trouble (your mileage may vary), with the benefit of
    having my docs safe from forced reinstalling (like when you can't boot and all your work is lost).

The temp folder is a different thing, if you can minimize the C: drive contents, you can backup to a compressed file (norton ghost or powerquest driveimage) of under 1GB, with obvious benefits. Tips: keep swapfile on another partition, move My Documents, move temp (thanks again, Panging), install games on separate partition (most work regardless of registry data, in case you restore the system drive from backup partition), install Office and other resource hogs on separate partition etc.

Thanks again Panging.

6. merry

merry gargouille

this goes to del.icio.us pronto

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

no problem, merry.
    also i forgot to mention this... you may have done it already... anyway, after the reboot you can go back to the old Temp dir remove all files in there or just remove the old Temp folders. and you can also put the Temp folders back to the default location anytime you like.
    AFAIK there will not be any problem after you made this change in Windows... if for some reasons Windows system or programs ever need to use Temp when there is no exist any temp (most likely it will never happen) it will just create one.