Changing CPU

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by crnidejan, Jun 11, 2012.

1. crnidejan

crnidejan New Member

Hello

I have one question?
    I have
    DFI Nf4 Ultra-d
    AMD Opteron 165 (overclocked 2800Mhz)(9X311)
    TeamGroupExtreem DDR500 4X1GB
    ATI Sapphire 5870 1GB

I'm thinking of changing just the proc for opty 170/175 or not possible "FX 60"($)?

I'm not playing games like before but i would like to get maybe some more MHz with other proc. I think if i have 170 maybe i could go over 3000Mhz with better multip.Now only 9.

What do you think? Thanks for any answer.
    I'm cooling everything on air on proc is Scythe Mugen(Infinity)

Regards Dejan

2. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

In theory on a x10 mulit yeah. Would depend on the Denmark ceiling. Back in the day, some Optys would reach 3Gig, you maybe pushing it on air though. Ah the good old days of the 3Gig club. Happy days :)

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Unless you can get the other CPU for free... It's money, effort and limited results at best - probably not worth the hassle. It's impressive what you're getting out of that CPU, but, if you're looking to upgrade, I think you'd be better off replacing the motherboard-CPU-RAM combo with something newer, if you can. My guess is that all else (PSU, case, GPU, HDD, optical drive etc) could be reused and you've actually got a perfectly capable GPU.

An entry level AMD quad-core setup would cost you about $160 if you're in the States (and a slightly lower number of € if you're here). That's more cores, higher clockspeed and a newer architecture. If you want that in blue, an i3 combo would probably cost you an extra $10-$20.

4. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

If you are intent on keeping with the S939 (which is cool for an enthusiast :)), follow the above advice.