Channels Messed up - Keeps Upmixing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeraphicGate, Aug 23, 2009.

1. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

I'm using driver 3549 and I noticed how I can't seem to get correct channel output. I tried a 5.1 test channel audio track and all rear left/right are also doing the front left/right. It also seems to be upmixing stereo to 5.1.

How do I get it to play stereo using two speakers and all speakers for true 5.1 tracks?

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The '5.1 Direct Path' preset of Surrounder+ should do what you want.

3. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

It appears to have been already set to that. But still upmixing with channels messed up.

Could the issue have to do with toggle swap front and rear mode? What does it do and what about the surround option in Surrounder+ (off/copy/on) do?

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

You should not be getting any upmixing with that preset.

You did not say what OS you are currently using... There are some known issues with the routing under Vista in previous versions of kX. I am not sure what the current status is with that.

Verify that kX Wave 0/1 is set as the default device for audio playback (or Master Mixer for Vista/Windows 7).

Swap front and rear does exactly what it sounds like. It should only be enabled if you have your front and rear speakers swapped. See the following for more info:
    kX Project -- Front and Rear issues

Surrounder is explained here: http://www.driverheaven.net/3-d-audio/55041-surrounder-explained.html

Beware of 3rd party applications or codecs that use there own speaker mappings, as they may conflict with kX's default routing. For example, this is one of the reasons why I said (regarding AC3Filter's PCM option) "uncheck this when not decoding AC3, otherwise it will be used for all PCM playback" in your thread about DD 5.1 decoding (the other reason being that it adds unnecessary overhead to playback of PCM).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

I'm using XP, but I think it is working correctly now.
    I had to update a few settings that you talked about. I also uninstalled everything I could think of that might create conflict.
    But in regards to the surrounder, if you are using say 5.1 speakers, shouldn't Surround be set to on? (or was that what was doing the upmixing if set to on?)
    By default it is set to off and the swap front/left is set to enabled. It also sets 7.1 speakers as the default. So I had to switch several settings around.
    Thanks for the help though.

On a side note. How do I record the output stream channels that are being sent to the speakers with the kx drivers?
    With the official creative drivers, it was a simple process of using Adobe Audtion and selecting the proper output channels to record.
    But when I try using the Kx drivers, there is no audio being recorded no matter what channels I try to record from.

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The 'Speaker Mode' setting is for setting how many speakers you have, and the 'Surround' setting controls if and how upmixing/downmixing is done (OFF = No upmixing/downmixing). See the diagram here: Surrounder Explained - Post# 5

You need to use a custom DSP config to record like this using ASIO.

i.e.
    You could connect the Surrounder+ outputs to ASIO 0-5 on epilog, to record the individual 5.1 channels using ASIO (kX In 00 through kX In 05).

7. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

Thanks, for the help with the upmix/mapping issue.

As for the custom DPS, I take it you mean this page? :duh:
    Although, I doubt it is as confusing as it looks.

[​IMG]

And is there a difference between Kx ASIO and SB Audigy ASIO?
    Also, I keep getting no audio products installed that support ASIO when switching to SB Audigy ASIO from Kx ASIO.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I mean.

Find the ASIO pins on epilog (see the tooltips when you hover the mouse over the pins), and then drag the mouse from Surrounder's output pins (pins on the right hand side of plugins are plugin outputs) to the ASIO pins (bottom 16 pins) on epilog that you want to use (epilog has the DSP outputs (speakers, WinMM recording, and ASIO recording)).

i.e.
    (Surrounder+ -> epilog)
    fL -> ASIO 0
    fR -> ASIO 1
    sL -> ASIO 2
    sR -> ASIO 3
    Center -> ASIO 4
    LFE -> ASIO 5

Yes, there is a big difference. One is for use with the Creative driver and the other is for use with the kX driver. You can only use the one associated with the driver that you are using (i.e. you are using kX, so you cannot use SB Audigy ASIO (the Creative driver was probably not fully uninstalled if you are still seeing it's ASIO driver)).

9. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

If you drag a pin from one to another that already has a pin connected will that delete the pin that was already there or will both link to the same pin?

I think I understand what you mean and I'll give it a try, but any chance you could upload a preset setting of the kx settings I need in this case so I could load it using the load settings option?

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, when you connect a pin, it will disconnect whatever was there (at the destination pin) previously.

BTW: Hold down the ALT key to make single connections.

Your card is different from mine, so my DSP config will be different (i.e. my card does not use P16V, etc), so you are better off doing it yourself.

11. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

So then it would be a good idea to save a back of default settings before I start messing around I think, lol.
    So once a pin is deleted at the destination, and the new one takes its place, does the out pin need to be reconnected at all?
    Reason I am doing this is because I might have gotten a method to record Pro Logic II. Just need to record the output first and see.

Also, back to direct recording. Is there anywhere in the Kx Mixer to set recording bits per sample?
    I.E - 16 or 24 - or will it always default to 16? Or does that need to be set in the recording program (reaper)?

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Reinitializing the DSP will restore the default DSP config, but feel free to save/load DSP configs as you see fit.

I am not completely sure how bit depth works with direct recording. It might be like the sample rate, where it is what it is (the source), and you need to use the appropriate settings in your recording application. Someone else could probably give you better info on that (obviously analog inputs are limited by the ADC used, but I am not sure about the SPDIF inputs).

13. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

So once a pin is deleted at the destination, and the new one takes its place, does the old pin need to be reconnected at all?

Yeah, RCA is capped at 16bps I think and SPDIF is capped up to 24bit.
    I know for a fact that one of my sources is 20bps, so want to be sure I use 24bit.

You are the only person that seems to reply around here.
    Well at least to my posts anyway. :lol:

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It only depends on what you want/need.

By default, prolog uses those ASIO pins. Prolog has the cards inputs, so if you need to record (not direct recording, as that bypasses the DSP, and not WinMM recording as that is done inside of epilog) from one of the card's inputs using ASIO, then connect whichever prolog pins you need, to whichever ASIO pins you want to use for recording (or leave them disconnected if you do not need them for anything (you could even unload prolog (or any plugin) if you do not need it)).

Really, the only trick to it is figuring out what each plugin is used for (see the kX help, and the various guides, etc (and play around with it)), so that you can design your own DSP configs that do what you want them to do (within the limits of the hardware, etc).