cheapest recommended card?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by bser01@hotmail., Dec 14, 2005.

1. bser01@hotmail.

bser01@hotmail. New Member

I'm looking to use my computer as part of my home theater and would like to use my soundcard(s) for crossover duties. I will need at least 11 channels to start with so I'm going to have to get 2 cards. Which is the cheapest card that is recommended that has a digital output for connecting to a 5.1 reciever?

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

you will have to buy one with dolby digital encoding, and there are not many of those unless you need stereo digital output, or use tril's encoder plugin

3. bser01@hotmail.

bser01@hotmail. New Member

can you recommend one that does have DD encoding? Will the audigy 2 platnium pro work? With the rebate they are now in my price range.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Trils DD encoder is reported as working with a bit of latency - but should work fime with the A2 Plat Pro. But I havent tested it myself.

And as DJStick said - I doubt there are many, because of the DD licensing costs involve to have their logo attached to anything. Id say Creative is the 'biggest' in sound cards and with them its obviously more of a logical decision to decode than to encode - and Im thinking are (encoding and decoding) 2 seperate (and HUGE!) licensing fees.