Chevy Camaro '10 and Vette '09

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by RE III - Frankie, Jul 15, 2009.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i firmly believe that if Ford made their v6 and v8 engines with DOHC instead of SOHC, that alone would significantly increase the HP and likely the TQ output of both engines. when i previously found out that the v6 camaro is going to have 300 ponies, i was very surprised.

i have always liked the mustangs of nearly every era (there are a couple here and there that i haven't), and the fact that Ford improves on engine technology and keeping their mustang line of engines SOHC saddens me. since engine technology is much more improved, why can't they start using DOHCs in their engines?

2. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

my best guess? it adds to the cost and complexity. 2 things they want to avoid.

3. CDsDontBurn

true, but they can pass that on to the consumers who wish to have such features.

or why not have a slightly larger bore and a slightly shorter stroke? it doesn't increase the complexity and if additional costs are involved, it wouldn't be too terribly much if at all.

4. Dark Lord

youve just made a higher revving motor, which means more wear and tear for prolonged usage. which means you have to deal with a higher failure rate. which means your warranty repairs just went up.

5. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

These are the cars that inspired me as a child.

Commodore VN SS Group A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VL SS GPA
    (I hated seeing these ones get thrashed, but they did)
    [​IMG]

Pontiac Trans Am - Smokey And The Bandit Yo!

[​IMG]

2011 Concept

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZPalUHlxc

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

then perhaps this could be due to canadian rules at the time..... as the advertised horse power on the older cars would indeed DINO approximately that advertised rating at the wheels. I don't know why it would be different. All i know is this changed around the mid 80's to early 90's when BHP started to be used. Why this is so noticeable is the fact that this also applied to larger equipment is horse power rating that seemed to be ballooned for nearly the same exact engine, yet they performed either identically, or in some senarios actually worse.

Where in the hell am i claiming that there were no muscle cars in this era? All i stated was that at the time for the technology available, those big block engines spitting out the hp they were able to spit out were muscle cars, they were the pinical of horse power and technology. They were actually quite expensive vehicles as well if you match the scaled prices right.

I am however stating that while those muscle cars excist and are still muscle cars, todays cars that are "considered" muscle cars don't at all perform in the same league. They could be CONSIDERABLY better, they shouldn't be costing as much as they do, and like i stated imo... aren't true representation of a muscle car, they are just selling a car with the cosmetic appearance and name, not an actual worthy muscle car for OUR era.

Once again using bhp as there rating..

And all i've ever seen is the smaller sized versions.... actually statistically, like anything that has a cheaper model of the nearly unidentifiably for most people, those cheapest solutions will be the highest sold, and biggest profit. Largest money grab...

BTW, you missed a few other models, example of which is the new Charger which has the v6 gutless engine.

7. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

8. CDsDontBurn

IMO, the Audi R8 is a stripped down Bugatti Veyron :p

9. Judas

2.48 million dollars stripped down?

that's alot of stripping....... serious amount of stripping

10. CDsDontBurn

Yes, a stripped down bugatti veyron. if you compare the two, they look very similar in body style. the base v8 R8 is $116k (USD) while this new v10 R8 5.2L is going to be $181k (USD). the veyron has quad turbos and a W-16 (essentially two v8 engines put together) engine. i'm sure that there are other things as well both mechanically and aesthetically different between the two. but if you look at the two cars, you can see that many of the lines and placements of the components are essentially the same. i'd put in a pic or two, but filters at work prevent me in finding any good pictures of both cars.

2010 Audi R8 V-10 - First Look and photos of the Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro - Motor Trend

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  11. Dark Lord

id like to point out the veyron is also 1.3 mil, not 2.5 mil.

still, the V10 R8 is still about a million bucks cheaper. thats still quite abit of price cutting.

12. Judas

boy it's dropped considerably...

but the newer higherend Bugguti is still up there

13. Dark Lord

there isnt a high end one. theres a convertible, but its slower then the coupe do to aerodynamics.

14. Judas

there are several versions of the bugguti veyron.... very very few of them made... mind you.. but still some.

then there are the dealer modified versions available. higher horse power and other changes...

15. CDsDontBurn

there are only 4 different models of the veyron. HP/TQ stays the same between the 4 models. like DL said, it's only aesthetics that change.

bugatti.com - Special Models

16. Judas

others have done it as well... purchase new with the changes done

17. CDsDontBurn

a 108 HP increase. with numbers well over 500HP already, who really needs that much power? lol.

and all they're really doing is taking a 1.4 Million dollar car to cost about 1.8 - 2 million dollars. not worth the extra HP and styling differences for that much of a cash difference IMO.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I though this thread was about that butt ugly new Camaro?

19. CDsDontBurn

this is the OT forum where nearly every thread gets jacked :lol: :D

20. Judas

lol... anyone looking at spending over 1million bucks on a car isn't going to be overly concerned about what we would perseve as "holy shit, wtf is the point" in getting a few more hp and a few other cosmetic apperance changes for half a million more.....

seriously... it's not really going to cross anyones mind that just went and bought a car like that on a whim.

Actually to put it in perspective. You could quite easily build a car that could potentially MATCH the car if not exceed it with very little difficult provided you put more muscle on the hood for a fraction of the cost.

There are high performing muscle cars that pull faster 0-60, 1/4 and higher top speeds then ... but then again top speed isn't really a big deal.... granted the bagutti was designed for sustained top speeds..... these cheaper muscle cars weren't.... and definitely not on roads with curves lol