CHKDSK keeps running every boot--- HELP

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Pluvious, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Oh oh.. while AVG was scanning my system for viruss, the power got cut (workers at home) and when I rebooted once the power was back on, CHKDSK ran and found no problems. All seemed fine, until my defrag utility warned me that it can't defrag that disc until it runs.. but it did. I think some command to have it run is 'stuck' on and I need to know how to turn off the CHKDSK or reset it. (registry right?)

Check out my warning.. I've already rebooted and it re-did the CHKDSK twice now..

[​IMG]

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

let it run... and if it then returns you have more serious problem with windows itself...

[EDIT] :duh: it seems that you have problems with windows itself... run chkdsk D: /R /X

3. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

The first time I saw the warning.. I rebooted using "restart" .. but I just tried using the "shut down" .. wait a bit.. power up, and it STILL ran the chkdsk again. My windows install is on my F: drive (which wasn't being scanned at the time.. D was) D was my old C drive before I installed my SATA drive.

Do I run that command- "CHKDSK D: /R /X" by doing this?

start/RUN/CMD <enter> *the default local is "F:\Documents and Settings\Pluvious>

I need to "CD c:" before I type "CHKDSK D: /R /X" (without quotes) ??

EDIT: ok.. figured out just type it.. running now.. this method is doing 5 stages instead of 3. Hopefully when its done and I reboot it won't keep looping and checking every boot. >fingers crossed< MAN THIS IS TAKING LONG!!! yikes..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

5. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Cheers.. this link will help big time. I'm only at 52 percent now.. so after it's done and I reboot .. if it still happens I'll try these tips. Thank you.

6. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Update.. its all good thank you very much for your help guys! The /r /x command seemed to fix it, although I was worried since it took so many hours to complete. Just rebooted after it finished and the CHKDSK didn't magicly pop up again. whew..

:)

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

The /R tells chkdsk to do full data area check. and the /x is for unmounting the volume :)

[EDIT] chkdsk /H might help you if you need to know more :D