Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (A Revisit)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I was visiting last evening with my sister and brother-in-law and he gave me his original copy of this game. I recall a lot of discussion about it when it first came out way back in 2004. In fact, I remember my son playing this game and he told me it was the first FPS that he really got into and liked.

So, I popped the disks in (5 of them for PC) installed and patched the game, turned up the settings and, this game really looks good being it's as old as it is.

Has anyone else revisited this game after upgrading your systems recently? If not, you might want to give it a shot.

Of course, after the many months of such impressive character animations like in Oblivion, these look rather dated. But, I'm quite impressed after only a couple of hours of playing at how smooth it plays.

The only thing so far I'm not thrilled about is that there are no saves on demand. That's probably one of my biggest gripes about this kind of game. I really prefer to save when I'm ready and not upon completion of certain 'mission objectives'.

Anyway, it's quite fun and it's my first time through.

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I have, there are some lighting issues though with the eyeshine when u turn certain directions the screen becomes completely dark.

I have it and beat it through once maybe about a month ago. Its a really good game and the voice acting and pretty much everything that is usually done badly in games was very well.

Its a great game but I don't think I'll install it for a while because of the 5 disks and I'm not sure how much I'd play it.

Edit: The ending has some nice twists too but after a while it got kinda old. Off to school.

3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Always wanted to play it, but never got around to it. Maybe I'll see if I can drum up a copy, you can probably get it for a smile now-a-days.

4. Soilwork

Soilwork A virus with shoes

Riddick is one of the best games you will ever play! Make an effort, you will not be disappointed!

@Dyre Straits: You can quit anytime while playing and then continue when you play again

5. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

i beat it numerous times, great game. Better than the movie...

EDIT: Just thinkin about it makes me wanna play it lol

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  6. Flexkill

Flexkill New Member

this is one of my favorite games of all time....you are in for quite a treat!!!!!!!

7. Dyre Straits

Just to update: I've made it where Riddick is sent to the mines and now had a decision to make whether to fight off and kill some other inmates in the 'circle' or get caught with drugs. I chose to do some fighting and have knocked off the first one.

The copy I have only has Saved Points. If I quit somewhere in the middle of these, I have to start over from the beginning of the save point. Although, I did find some Save mod for the game and haven't seen anyway it behaves differently so far.

One thing, though, if I do fail the first time, it seems a little forgiving as I can go about things a little differently and succeed better the next time through.

So far, very immersive action.

I did notice that, after I patched the game, there are some texture issues. The name tags that show up for the other characters seems to want to flash or not even show up depending on the character's angle of approach and distance from the other character.

I also noticed some flashing off and on but can't pinpoint whether it's a game issue or if the designers wanted to give the impression of flickering lights. It's not really distracting if it's supposed to be lights blinking on and off, but, maybe someone can tell me if it is a game issue.

Are there any settings that fix any of these? I've pretty much maxed out the settings, so maybe I need to turn down something.

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its probably a shadow setting if there are any. Its been years since ive played this but I remember ATI cards had issues with the shadows with specific settings. great game and great movies too.

I especially liked xzibit's voiceovers in this. intro scene walking him into the prison - I still remember that and saying "wow" at the time.

9. Dyre Straits

I think you're on the money about the shadows affect. I've been doing a bit more reading and someone said to use Shader 2.0 and not Shader 2.0++ or something like that. I guess if that doesn't fix it I can try turning the shadows down even more. Will give it whirl.

10. Markius

Markius New Member

i havent revisited the game myself, but i will just comment that i did play the game when it came out and it was a cool game.

11. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

I have it installed, but I've yet to play it for more than an hour. Seemed like a decent game, but I have others to play through first.

12. Dyre Straits

I'm wondering why I had such a tremendous sense of vicarious satisfaction over beating the crap out of Abbot?! :) I needed a good shower after that one. ;)

13. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

I remember picking it and "Second Sight" up for $10 a piece in the EB Games bargain bin. Some of the best cheap PC games I've ever played, not to mention the fact that w/ Riddik Vin paid for it himself didn't he?

14. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

Its his company, tigon studios.

15. Dyre Straits

Well, I just finished this game and it's been a TREAT!!! From the start to finish I was completely engrossed by the environments, puzzles, combat, EVERYTHING! I agree it's one of the best FPS games I've ever played. Right up there with the original Max Payne in my book.

And, it still looks great even if it is 4 years old or so. Played smooth as butter all the way through.

16. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

It's a great game, no doubt about it, still have it installed after all this time, might get around playing it again soon. :)

17. Dyre Straits

Well, I was showing my younger son a little bit of the beginning of it earlier tonight and almost got sucked into playing it through again right now. ;) Fantastic game!!!

18. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Wow. I got that game from a friend. After playing for 2 hours, I was amazed i had missed such a great game. It really owns.

19. Shaga

Shaga Intelligent Life Form

I completed it with this hardware half a year ago, it was good looking and the game rocks. I recommend to try it out if you haven't yet.

20. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Best hand to hand combat to date IMHO. Loved that game. One of the ONLY games to actually be good from a movie tie in. Still holding out for a sequel.