Civilization V (PC) @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Oct 1, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Civilization V Review

After several facelifts, some of them not always successful, the Civilization model still remains one that is flocked to by the players of all denominations, a game that transcends its humble strategy genre roots. The fifth overhaul of the game is one that promises to get back to basics, to ditch some of the complications that have distorted the beautiful simplification of thousands of years of human history. Does it succeed, or is it too consigned to be a footnote in history, eclipsed by its betters?

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

All in all I have to agree with the reviewer here. Though, I haven't really played that much yet since I've focused more on another new game.

To bad I can't play it in 3D with my new 3D TV. I hope ATI comes with a solution for this soon.

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Sort of disappointed the reviewever didn't go into more depth regarding actual gameplay, and missed most the problems I found with the game... most of the mainstream reviews have been similar though, maybe I'm just expecting too much from games on release. First game I've bought on release in years, and it's done nothing to convince me that I shouldn't stick to buying bargain bin games after they're patched.

This is incorrect, the AI gets a ton of bonuses that scale depending on difficulty level, but combat bonuses for their units is not one of them.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I never played vry much of 2, 3 or 4 in the genre, but last week I was down with the flu and couldn't take anything more exciting than turn based. Civ 5 served its purpose well for a week but after having done two games I kinda relived why I gave it up all those years ago. The replay value even in this open type of game is questionable, especially when the diplomacy part of the game is so predictable. The tech tree hasn't change much at all over the years and especially late in the game feels quite limited, even kinda cheesy. Still, Civlization and its various branchoffs never played so well as this one. It has much greatness in a relative way, you'll just have to love the genre to also love the game for long.

I'm curious about this Gandhi fella, why is it that just like in Civ 1&2 he's ever more like Hitler when you encounter him in Civ? ;) Perhaps Sid Meier has a grudge on him or something.

5. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the game is awesome, the problem is people tend to forget that Civ Iv also kinda sucked until patched + expansions.

This game definitely went a different direction some of it is good, some of it is bad. But I love this game. I love they finally included a real earth map (tho I got some gripes)

this game is rooted in awesomeness though.

6. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Well, at this point in time, my biggest problem is with the pile of terrible UI decisions that don't affect core gameplay, but the simply make the game significantly more tedious, for no benefit:

Civ4: You had options to tell automated workers not to disturb improvements you had created manually.
    Civ5: Automated workers will happily destroy anything you previously made while controlling workers manually.

Civ4: You could enable/disable combat animations at any time.
    Civ5: You can only enable/disable combat animations at the start of a new game, in the advanced options.

Civ4: You could enable/disable quick movement at any time.
    Civ5: There is no way to enable quick movement in singleplayer, but it is always enabled for multiplayer.

Civ4: Values overflowed overflowed, making micromanagement unnecessary.
    Civ5: Values (science specifically) do not overflow, making tedious micromanagement necessary every single turn so as to not waste resources.

Civ4: You could mouse over tiles for info on combat bonuses and unit actions.
    Civ5: You can have a stupid tooltip follow your cursor around everywhere with unit action info, but no way to see combat bonuses for terrain.

Civ4: You could click units and see what commands you had given to them.
    Civ5: There is no way to determine what commands you have given to any particular unit.

Civ4: Pathfinding is fast.
    Civ5: There is a noticeable delay pathfinding, even moving a unit only a single tile.

These are all really basic interface problems which should have been really obvious for testers to point out, obvious for devs to fix, and which significantly detract from enjoying the actual gameplay.