Cleaning laptop

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Neshi, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Has anyone ever done it?

cleaning the dust out of a desktop is easy, however it is a different story with the laptop. I have noticed it getting hotter and working harder (louder fan) than before, so I reckon it is a bit dusty inside...

Are there any risks to opening the laptop up, give it a good blow and closing it back up?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I haven't got too much experience (I've only done it once, for the same reason as you), but there shouldn't be too much risk, although I guess that it depends a lot on the model. The process wasn't too simple on the Lenovo I was disassembling (there were quite a few steps and things to remove from the back before I could pop out the keyboard), but the laptop was assembled with standard screws and the manufacturer provides very comprehensive instructions, so, in my case, it was pretty safe.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Apply dish soap to all surfaces..... violently thrust if back and forth in a bathtub filled with scalding water.

end with crying and 3rd degree burns.

Actually depending on the model... some laptops (good ones) give you close if not full direct access to the fan and it's heatpipes and such.

just make sure to hold the fan to prevent it from spinning up. Some of the laptops allow for easy removal of the fan (even replacement) give you greater access to the heatsink/pipes own little fins allowing you to peel the lint and other debree out of it and make for an easier inspection.

Depending on the age of the laptop, some of the thermal paste can become brittle and dry up. This can lead to a slow breakdown of the computer component and rising fan speeds, but due to such poor heat transfer, cleaning the fan/heatpipes may not do anything.

In all cases just be cautious and careful of what your are doing.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Usually there wouldn't be much dust accumulated in the easily accessible areas, and the ventilation tunnel with fan can be cleaned with short bursts of compressed air from a can rated safe for electronics (nothing but clean air). That's enough for most systems.

5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

found a good and comprehensive guide in pulling it apart... considering it is 3 years old and warranty has expired, I might take the time to pull it apart and apply new thermal paste / clear out any dust... I'm sure my laptop will be glad with a bit of loving/care/maintenance