Coding a web browser

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by EmXtrix, Jul 19, 2003.

1. EmXtrix

EmXtrix New Member

Does anyone have a link to an introductory tutorial for coding a web browser in either Visual Basic or C++?

2. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Do you want to build is using the IE or Mozilla API, or from scratch?

3. craig588

craig588 Banned

My friend wrote his own browser, but it was absoloute crap, and he spent like 2 months on it. It was very slow, and didn't have the ability to change any settings. It barly functioned. He wrote it in C++. Writing a browser isn't a feasable thing for one person to do. Its better if you just take the source code of mozilla and modify it in some cool way. (Don't just copy someone elses code though, make it a worthwhile modification that hasn't been done before)

I'm not sure if he ever uploaded it to the web, but if you even find a browser called "Bena" that would be it.

4. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Even writing your own using the Mozilla rendering engine would be all right.

5. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I always thought how good would it be if all those IE-frontends (myIE2, AvantBrowser etc.) used Mozilla as rendering engine... or perhaps Opera UI with Mozilla rendering engihe :hmm: :)

6. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

I see no reason for it, they have an interface to Internet Explorer, which more people have, and they don't have to make people download a rendering engine, when the IE engine suits it just fine.