Coin Miner Bundled with uTorrent

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by IvanV, Mar 6, 2015.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

If you recently installed or updated uTorrent on your PC, you may have have picked up an unwanted passenger: a Bitcoin miner called Epic Scale. That piece of code can be inadvertently installed with the latest uTorrent build (version 3.4.2) and uses your computer as part of a Bitcoin farm (Litecoin, to be exact) to generate revenue for third parties. Users first reported the situation on uTorrent's forums, and it was quickly confirmed by a senior support manager. He said that the app "cannot be installed without permission," but one user claimed that there was "never a warning about it," even though he opted out of other bundled software.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

The article claims the contrary, but I've read testimonies that the installation procedure only offered opting out of some other things and not this and that it was definitely not simple to uninstall (although they could have changed that at some point).

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I am on that build but as far as I can tell I haven't had this payload. I recently did a re-install to convert my 9926 install to UEFI and afterwards installed an old version of uTorrent that I have on my storage drive. I forgot to untick 'auto-update' so it had updated itself to the build in question. I never saw any warnings about 3rd party software, in fact I never noticed it updating itself.

4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I've tried mining for myself on purpose and not gotten it to work so if there's a quick and easy way like this I wanna know about it. :p