Company of heroes 2 beta on steam.

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Liqourice, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I installed it and tried it out.

Not really my type of game but still. First thing I noticed though was that using "Auto detect" in the graphics settings put the settings way to high. I got like 0.5 FPS with those settings and the game crashed trying.

Moved down the settings, and mainly turned physics off since it didn't seem to work very well at all with my ageing 5870, and I got it playable at least.

Only made one trial run against the computer. Didn't quite understand how I was supposed to play but that's another story.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Just wanted to point out that the story was covered here on HH, just so you know me and Jason didn't miss it. ;)

That being said, Company of Heroes isn't my type of game. But a lot of people seem to like it.

3. Liqourice

Ah, I missed that post.

4. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

I loved CoH 1 and played CoH2 at the Eurogamer expo last year - I really like the game as a single player, although I never play online... too stressful! For me, a nice change from FPS / MMORPG

I booted it quickly this morning and the auto-detect settings seemed to work perfectly... not sure why it didn't for you

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I did try the original when it was first released. Like a few others, it's just not my cup o' tea. But, there must be enough who do like it for them to continue promoting the genre.

6. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

i love the singleplayer, and play it slow. Try not to get too many men killed and do it strategically.. online is just too hectic and not fun to me at all.

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Big download - turn on! ;)

I have to try this tonight. At least if it's fun to play "skirmish" matches against AI opponents it's probably very much my kind of game. Probably not going to play online unless I can get a friend to buy it also. But yeah the pacing matters. I've found as I've grown a little bit older that I don't care for too hectic gameplay even in a genre I used to be hardcore into. Though that also depends on how far out one can zoom. I tried Starcraft 2 for a while recently but it was just too high a "workload" in the end to remain fun.
    Then I tried the Age of Empires 2 HD edition for a spell, and realised that high workload was something that I used to be really good at...

WW2 might feel overdone, but it's all down to the gameplay quality. If there are great gameplay elements then it will only be helpful if the units are reasonably identifiable in a game, as compared to odd looking robots or aliens that you can't even vaguely guess what they can do at first sight. I loved RUSE for the same reasons, despite its limitations. Nowadays if I ever see a game where I could easily have designed the interface in a more streamlined fashion myself, I get too annoyed to have fun in the long run. Work can be fun as long as the game doesn't add to the load due to bad design choices. It's like with Windows 8, lol.

Hope this beta/demo isn't too limited, so that I can get an idea of how I'll play the full game. I'll have to get back on that.

8. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

With RTS games there's a steep learning curve before the game can become fun, but once you get the hang of it games start to get hella fun. Just look at League of Legends, there are some characters that I can't for the life of me play, I could probably play them if I took the time to learn them but in the end it remains as you said, certain character's mechanics are a higher "work load" than others. Ryze is a good example, if you know who I'm talking about. Another one would be Leblanc lol.

But then again when I used to play Ryze back in the day I was using my mouse for spells and movement and everything, these days I use keyboard short cuts, man does it cut the work load in half or what!

9. Liqourice

Don't know what kind of hardware you have, maybe a lot newer and more powerful than mine? The auto-detect might not work and the standard settings is what everyone will get and with old hardware like mine it just won't work.

Just guessing here.

10. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

They seem to have "fixed" the auto detection problem with the update last night, as it suddenly suggested I should run at minimum settings. It runs fine at "Higher", but I presume they don't want to get bad press about performance just before the game comes out. ;)

I like the game for the three 1on1 matches I ran against the Easy AI so far anyway. Yes, it's too close zoomed in for me and some of the user interface hasn't evolved quite like it could have over the years. But with the fewer units that are in play compared to other games it seems to be less of a problem
    to work around some quirks. The atmosphere, especially the audio is excellent. Sound effects have a lot of information in them as well, as to what is going on off the screen.

Worth trying!

11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I've played it quite a bit (stats say six hours but the game was kinda not connecting to Steam sometimes while playing so I'm guessing more like ten) against AI oponents and will definitely be getting this. Especially if you liked the original you'll like this one as not much has changed in the core gameplay, and what has changed has all be improvements I think. The effect of cold weather is not on every map and when it is, it works mostly to create mini-breaks in the early gameplay and favor vehicle armies later on in a match. It adds variety as it is not forced upon you in every game.

Just hours left of the open beta, gotta play a couple of matches before the sun gets too bright. ;)

12. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

damnit, I love the series and this beta is/was right when I have my final assignments due. Working at uni from 7.30 am until 11.30 pm, does not leave a lot of time for gaming. No sir, it does not.

13. Liqourice

I gave up on it, not my kind of game at all and my rig is starting to get to old...

14. Liqourice

I've got a question about this.

Since the beta isn't anymore and I'm not gonna buy it I was about to uninstall it.

Problem is, it's gone from the game library on steam so I can't remove it that way. Can I just delete the folder in steamapps without any risk of damaging anything?

15. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can safely delete the folder "\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2\". I guess some tiny file relating to the game might exist elsewhere, but that's the game installation itself at least. They should at least leave a reference of it in the Installed section. But Steam tends to be a bit wonky like that.

I'll buy this game soon, just saving until a day when I have time to play it again. :) (They said one can keep the beta stats if activating within 30 days, so I shouldn't wait too long.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013