Compressing Fraps videos

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by kastickboy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. kastickboy

kastickboy New Member

Im having issues compressing raw video captured with Fraps (Fraps.com)

It captures in .avi and im personally capturing in 1024*768 for video game footage. Fraps doesnot compress the video so 2 seconds of video is about 25mb. I used Windows Movie Maker to make a video and when it was done processing the video was so blurred i couldnt even tell what game i was recording. I found out WMM doesnt work well with anything over 800*600 so i decided to find a compression tool to save my great looking video but at a smaller size. I tried to use virtualdub, it made a 525mb video into 2Gb, yes 2 Gigabytes! and it made it a little fuzzy but its to be understood. Then i tried the other recommended video processing tool on the Fraps website and it didnt really work at all. I want to be able to keep my 1024*768 resolution or even push it down to 800*600 but i dont need to play these videos on anything but a computer. I bought DivX 6 Pro and tried to use the converter on it but ran into an error stating file xyz.avi contains an invalid video stream. Which i found out that i couldnt use .avi with divx untill i found a program that you name a .txt file to .avs and then drop that into the converter... however it made the video look terrible too. I have seen tons of video that people have made with Fraps and WMM and they look just like your are ingame. and the files will play on resolutions of 1024*768 and look crisp and clear.

The issue i got into with virtualdub was i was trying to use the divx codec and it stated that the file needed to be in width of 4 and height of 2 and something like 24 bit. the file im using is 1024*768 24 bit. I am completely new to video editing/compressing so any dummy tuturials would be helpful!

Thanks!

KA

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I use windows movie maker and I get kickass quality... Just go and when you say what quality you want (you can pick) take broadband 2.1mb 640x480 or AVI... Shrinks the size without an OUNCE of quality loss (or almost)

Otherwise you need professional proggies me thinks..

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

4. kastickboy

kastickboy New Member

good to see you know how to read:(

thanks sandok, ill give it a try when i get home from work...

KA

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

VideoHelp start learning.....

personally for fraps load them up in virtualdub & then xvid (koepi's) for the compression..... 2pass 1500kbit.... ya just visit videohelp for guides & stuff

6. kastickboy

kastickboy New Member

Thank you sir

KA

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

oh & i play at 1024x768 & record halfsize... there's no use in super high rez videos (unless you're trying to show 500 leaves in some game or something hehe)

hmm some rfactor, 34sec = 10mb.... 13secs of fable = 5mb

& dont forget to compress the audio in VD too, i use 128kbit LAME mp3 :cool:

8. Iroth

Iroth New Member

Old thread, I know.

But AVIVO with mpeg4 is what I use. Takes a couple minutes and the quality isn't horrid. Other codecs may produce better results but for shrinking the file to acceptable size, I like it.

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

well ya there are 2 click solutions too... but i'm one to tweak my stuff :D