Computer constantly crashing (RAM related I think)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MikeDaMan, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

Alright so just recently my computer keeps giving me the BSOD with a stop error, usually all different types but one i can think of which it gave me is a stop error with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

I thought it could be a stick of RAM so I took one 512DDR out and the computer worked fine. I figured the stick was dead so i sent it back to Crucuial and they sent me a new one. I popped the new one in and still get the error. The thing is sometimes the computer boots up fine and works perfect. However the majority of times I get the BSOD while its booting into windows. Sometimes I can go five or ten minutes until the damn blue screen kicks in.

I'm pretty good with computers and have almost always been able to solve problems like this but this one is kicking my ass and have no clue as to what is going on. I also have Vista installed on a second partition and the same thing happens with that although not quite as frequent as the reg Windows XP partition. Thanks to anyone who can try and help me solve this problem. Computers practically worthless until I find a fix :(

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

First thing to do...if you can get to it...is to check the Event Viewer for errors/warnings.

Right click the My Computer icon and then select Manage. Click on the + in front of Event Viewer and then check under System and Applications.

If the machine works well with only one stick, does it work well with only the other stick, too? If it does work well with only one, that's when you need to check online for motherboard and BIOS updates.

Also, does the system work well with only one stick in EITHER RAM slot? Or is there a slot gone bad?

Let us know.....

3. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll check the eventviewer after work tomorrow (If I can get into it) and post what I find. I havn't tried the other stick alone yet but will try that tomorrow. I have tried moving the one stick that I thought was bad in different slot (there are 3 of them) well at least moved it between the other two back and fourth a couple times but had the same problem. I'll check for a BIOS update, I checked it about two months ago and was still the same old driver. Thanks for the advice and I will let ya know what I find out.