Computer makes a noise can't figure out cause...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by jepherz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. jepherz

jepherz Active Member

Once in a while, rarely my computer makes a steady buzzing or humming noise. This noise only lasts 1-2 seconds tops. It just happens randomly. I'm guessing it could be the sound of the disc of my hard drive? I've heard this sound maybe 6-8 times already over the past months. Is there a way to find out for sure? I saw a website that lists sounds for hard drive errors and this sounds nothing like any listed on the site...

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

FWIW, I've read that a PSU can make certain sounds and some of those can be indicative of the PSU going out. What makes me point this out is the "humming" sound you describe. That's specifically the type of sound described by those who posted about PSU problems. So, I'd suggest if/when you hear this again, try getting up close to the PSU to see if you can pinpoint it there or not.

In other cases, it may indicate that the PSU is being overtaxed. So, check what all you have connected drawing power and check to see if yours is rated properly for the overall system.
    Good luck!

3. jepherz

jepherz Active Member

there is no way it can be overtaxed =/ It's 720w and my rig isn't even crossfire or anything. I can't pinpoint it though... the sound only lasts 2 seconds tops and by then its too late for me to run my head down there fast enough... my guess was it's either the HDD or GPU, I hope its just the PSU, that way I don't lose anything and can just replace the PSU...

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Are you sure this isn't a failing bushing/bearing on a case fan? I have one fan that makes an intermittent sound that could be described as humming or buzzing... it comes and goes like you are describing too.