Computer or internet?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by drivehard454, Dec 1, 2007.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I have been experiencing some problems recently and am getting frustrated. I think it is my internet connection, but my provider is saying it is my computer.

I am experiencing random problems with browsing the net. I have very fast downloading and searching most of the time. Other times I have to refresh or click a second time to get a page to load. I have bigger problems while on a secure site where they will not load at all. The page will just sit there with the load bar about 1/3 accross. I use ebay frequently and cannot log on to paypal from the ebay site. I can at times go to the paypal site directly and log on though. I have problems filling out information on other sites too, where I have to submit information. and I had a problem applying for credit on another site. I booked a hotel and the confirmation page would not load.

I have called my provider and they told me to uninstall IE7 because it uses too many resources for XP, it is meant for Vista, which I don't believe, but I did anyways. They also turned all my security settings down.

None of this worked and now I am being told it is the computer, and they won't help assist with that unless I pay them $99.00 for tech service.

I have no spyware, adware, or viruses. My computer works great, and everything operates perfectly. Its just the problems while online. I can't see how it is my computer.

I have a modem/router that is fairly new. DSL internet.

Any advice? Thanks

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Sounds to me like spyware.

In the Start menu, select "run", then type "netstat" and press enter. Let us know how many line items there are.

Also, you may want to check out Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test. Run it and see if your speed is something close to what you should be getting. Post back with your results.

3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I ran the speed test already, and my provider did a line test. My download is well in range and my upload was slightly higher in range.

I ran the"netstat and a window popped up and disappeared. Too quick to read anything. I did it a couple of times and it looks as though ther may be four-five lines? Cannot catch a glimpse of what it is though.

4. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I try to pause screen but cannot catch it.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

6. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Thanks Dire. I have ccleaner and run it about once a week. I think it was you that recommended it to me quite a while back.

I will try the ad-aware. and post my findings.

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol to use a "Run" command, you ALWAYS need to put "cmd" and enter it before you another code

8. aNy_oNE

aNy_oNE New Member

Like kris said, go start>run type "cmd" with no quotes and THEN do netstat. The window shouldn't disappear then :)

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yes cmd then ok, then type in netstat.

also.... try doing a tracert (run, type in cmd, hit ok, then type in
    it should do a quick trace route through all the connection from your computer through your ISPs network and onto the web to the location specified (Google is just an example, you can punch in any website that allows pinging)

If any * show up, you've got packet loss at that specific point, usually running through tracert a few times to get accurate results where the problem excist..

alternatively, find the first connection from your computer to your ISPs main system....

for example if your directly connected to your isp without a router, the first IP/ping should be your ISP, if you behind a router, it'll usually be the 2nd ping/ip.

What you can try next is this:

go to run, type in cmd and hit ok... then type in the following (btw, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is, you'd want to punch in your ISPs ip)

Ping is the command, the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your isp ip address, -n 1000 is the number of times it'll repeatedly ping that ip, -l 1450 is 1450 bytes of information sent every single ping, -a is for a resolving command.. (not sure if it work properly though but shouldn't affect anything if you have it or not)

Let it run, may take a good while.. .15 minutes or so depending on the number of timeouts (if you get timeouts, that's a bad thing, packetloss is your issue which is likely thier problem)

The statistics at the end of the run, should give you a success/fail/packet loss/ and other useful information.

Sometimes i run multiple ping tests at the same time.

for example in the case i want to identify which server/router along the way to the internet is giving me issues, i open up as many cmd windows as there are tracert results, and punch in the ping command for all of them in thier own window.... i try and as quickly as possible, start all of them at nearly the same time....

then i watch them, this way i can make sure that it's not a connection before that's causing the issue if any packetloss occurs at ANY point.

oh and by the way, packetloss is not tolerable.... no ISP should EVER tell you that "a little is normal".... 0% should always be the case, unless under specific circumstances..... 1% maybe be tolerable in bad times.... not more or else there is a pretty significant issue.

10. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Although this can in some cases shows problems when there aren't any. My ISP interferes with outgoing ping, so even though my internet is working fine, I get this mess if I try to run tracerts:

[​IMG]

141.109.109.254 is a switch, but plugging straight into a cable modem gives the same thing.

To the original poster: Easiest way to check if it's a software or hardware problem would be to use a livecd to boot to Linux, and do some browsing from there, if you still get the same problems, chances are very good it's a connection issue.

cozumel and Vikingod like this.
  11. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

well that's pretty simple... you've got no connectiosn going at all.. in or out apparently...

so that's instantly solved.. lol ;)

zelig, i've NEVER seen anything like that before....

13. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Hopefully I did it right. run/cmd/netsat right? I am running spybot and adaware right now.

Obviously I have a connection, I am on the net.........

14. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I ran the tracert. I have no clue........

[​IMG]

15. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Guess I stand corrected. Here are the results of the adaware and spybot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Vikingod

How did things turn out, did it fix the problem?

If not, you might want to run another spyware program (the microsoft one is decent), and run a virus scan. Keep us posted, we'll fix this thing yet :).

17. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I have AVG virus protection and it scans every day. I have never been warned of a virus. Still having problems with pages loading. Still can't get to paypal.

18. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I downloaded the microsoft defender and scanned my computer. It reported no unwanted or harmful software.

19. Vikingod

That is an excellent suggestion. I'd just use ubuntu.

I'd also check any firewalls you might be behind. If your motherboard has hardware AV or Firewall, disable those and see what you get.

20. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Linux livecd. That is a good idea Zelig. :)