Computer Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Mar 21, 2015.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

I will be heading into a period where I'll be drawing about 18 hours a week OT for the next three months and wondering if it would be a good time to upgrade my computer? You can look at my computer for my current specs. Opinions appreciated. :)

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a very similar setup to me. I think the i7 will be fine for a year or two yet especially if overclocked to around 4.5ghz. Most obvious upgrade for your would be a new GPU - I would suggest a GTX 980.

3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

It'll be hard to justify upgrading the CPU, motherboard and RAM. A 3770K is still a good processor.
    What sort of things do you do with your system? If you play games, what sort of games and at what resolution?

Do you have any hard drives other than the 128GB SSD? If not, that would be my first recommendation.

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

as for gpu upgrades, I'd wait till the next generation AMD hits the market. It's really not very far now and if it is as good as the rumors have it, a pricedrop of Nvidia's cards might happen.

5. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the replys. It's nice to know that my computer still has some life left in it. I've already replaced my 128 GB SSD with a 250 GB Samsung 840EVO SSD, Takaharu. Just haven't gotten around to updating my computer specs in awhile. :rolleyes:

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons