Confused!? and need help

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by BigShotGorilla, Jan 25, 2003.

1. BigShotGorilla

BigShotGorilla New Member

I have a Gigabyte GV-R9700PRO, on an Epox 8RDA Motherboard, an Athlon XP 2000+, 256megs of pc3200 ram, and when i run 3dmark i am barely breaking 12000. The kicker is that on the lobby high detail my FPS drop to 45ish, and on the car sceene it drops into the 20's on high detail. A friend of mine said i may have defective ram on the card, which makes some sense since it only studders on high detail. The funny thing about the high detail scenes is that i did better on my old Asus A7A266 and an overclocked geforce 3 ti500.

If you need more information please just ask.

Thanks,
    ~BSG~

2. BigShotGorilla

One more thing

This is on a fresh install of Windows XP pro. With all the software updates. Using Directx 9.0, Cat 3.0, and the newest nforce chipset driver.

3. lilleper

lilleper New Member

youre not alone.........

My TNT2 16mb card runs better than my new 9000 pro 64mb.

I can only say that this is gonna be my first and only ati card Ill NEVER by a card again from ati. ive got alot of problems and i know its my 9000 pro card cause when i put my TNT2 card in my pc everythings works perfectly.

Ive got these weird glitches everywhere on my monitor IE explorer does run right when i use my scrollwheel sure i can turn off smooth scroll in IE ,but why do i have to do that ??? my tv-out doesent work black screen when i starts a program.

CS runs like shit.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

What detail settings do you have your card at under advanced properties for D3D? And have you tried DroneZ or some other such openGL benchy to see if it is affected also?

Oh, and on the "car scene drops into the 20's on high detail" bit? Does it drop into the 20's for only about 2 frames of the test, or does it hit there a few times? (Like is it going along at 46 then it dips to 20 suddenly for a frame or two and jumps back up to 46 or is it a steady decline to 20 and then a steady build up again?)

Also, do you happen to know what your cards memory & GPU's timing is set at?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's the only way I know how to help. (And at least they weren't very technical or nothing. ;) )

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Which operating system are you using and which drivers? It should be running like silk, let's see if'n we can fix it. :)

6. lilleper

lilleper New Member

I tried it in win2000 with and without SP3 and winXP with and without SP1 with dx 8.0 , 8,1 , 8,1a and 9,0.
    (everytime wiyh a clean install)

I tried from the first catalyst to the lastest inc. the leaked one.

I installed all drivers and updates for my motherboard. flashing the bios in my motherboard and the 9000 pro.

My setup.

AMD 650 mhz.
    gigabyte 7ixe.
    512mb sdram.
    40 gb seagate barracuda.
    connect3d radeon 9000 pro 64mb ram.
    samsung syncmaster 900 ift.

Dont say my pc is slow and old cause everything runs fine with my TNT2. I dont play the lastest game I only want CS to and my tv-out to work.

7. Chrille

Chrille New Member

Slow CPU

It could be your slow CPU. If you had over 1GHZ I think your Radeon 9000 would beat the TNT2 card.

8. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

The Radion 9000 should be beating the TNT2 card flat into the ground regardless of the CPU speed... however, that sounds a mite like a defective card, with errors all over the monitor - are the errors evenly distributed? Are there any circumstances where they go away? Anything special about the glitches? What do they look like?

9. Junk

Junk New Member

When I bought my new Radeon, I gained a ton of FPS, so I'd have to guess a faulty card as well. Have you OC'ed the card at all?

10. BigShotGorilla

responding to the q's

I have not tried anything to test my OpenGL, but it is working fine. My setting for 3dmark2001SE is all for best performance. I dont know who makes my ram or anything like that. If you know where i should look i can and will. The frames per second drop is only for short burst. Its just that the fps on high detail is very simular to the fps i would get on my A7A266 and OC'ed Geforce 3 ti500. My clock speed for this is default. so like 325, and 310 i think.

Let me know if u need more information

11. BigShotGorilla

Found out the Problem

My video ram is very much screwed. When i went into 3dmark2001SE and did system info, and then devices, then display adapter (or something like that). I found out that my Radeon card is only running on 56 megs of RAM! so now i have to return it and stuff.

Thanks for ur help

~BSG~

12. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

lilleper have you tried different AGP Aperature sizes and also tried turning Fast Writes and/or Sideband Addressing on/off?

13. shuki

shuki New Member

there is a difference in AGP memory and video and texture memory... mine is the r9700 pro direct from ATI and it looks like this

[​IMG]

14. BigShotGorilla

Thats how mine looks

So maybe i am wrong... But my friend with an 8500 gets 128 for AGP memory. Can more people with a radeon 9700 respond to this with the values of:

Total Local Memory:
    Total Local Texture Memory:
    Total AGP Memory:

Thanks
    BSG

15. Junk

Junk New Member

BSG..if you're talking about the Total AGP Memory, mine only says 56MB also. I don't THINK that's a problem, but I may be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

16. Junk

Junk New Member

Here's a pic to clarify..
    [​IMG]

17. BigShotGorilla

Ok just talked to my friend with the 8500, and he too only has 55/56 megs of Total AGP memory. So i may be blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

But with my System
    Epox 8RDA (with latest drivers)
    XP 2000+
    256 of DDR pc-3200
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    FSB is 133
    and Fresh install of windows XP pro completely updated.

I think i should not have such problem on high detail. (and yes when i do the test my D3d settings are set for performance. I am like 600-1000 points off where i should be. and to see FPS in the 20s and 40s for several secs at a time is just discouring. Can someone tell me if this happens to them. Or if i have a right to be upset.

Thanks

18. Junk

Junk New Member

Could you maybe publish a link to your 3DMark score?

19. BigShotGorilla

HEre is my score on my old mother board with my geforce 3ti500. Look at the high detail for the car, and the lobby
    Here

This is my most recent one for my Radeon 9700 and new motherboard.
    HERE

20. Junk

Junk New Member

Both of your links are invalid. Make sure that you've clicked the "Publish" box.. Does the card work well in the old mobo?