Conroe Support

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Necrosis, May 24, 2006.

1. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The Max board is a pretty little thing. Hopefully it will clock better than their last Intel boards.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i heard abit will start to ship the AB9 Pro boards (the one with P965) to their distributors again during the next week, but can't be so sure on this info either... however i've seen since for a while that the online stores in the US. likes newegg, ZZF, Tankguys were all have this board as on a back order (but however this does not mean that my post #185 was the real reason for the board's shipment holding...) so i'll check the web sites again during coming week(s)?. and if so, then i might have a chance to see someone doing another and/or a more serious test on the board, soon. as for the AW9D-MAX (i975X based), it would be quite a while yet before i can actually see the real board.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

After HOURS of searching I finally found a picture of the Core 2 stock coolers almost naked bottom:

[​IMG]

Interesting design they have going on with the thermal paste.

Of the 3 copper heatsinks Intel uses this one is the same as one of the 2 lower ones they use for the 8xx/9xx series. The copper bottom is about 3.5cm in diameter, and the core of the copper is thin (by core I mean the copper that runs up the center of the heatsink, and is essentially a hollow tube about 1-2mm or so thick).

The one I wish they used is the one they use primarily for any of Intels CPUs that are damn hot (of the ones Intel deems to be too hot for the other coolers), or any of the Extreme CPUs (however, I don't know if they use this on the Core 2 Extremes). This cooler is similar to the above one (in the coppers shape) except that the diameter of the copper is 4.5cm, and is thick, right up the core (the core itself has to be 3-4mm thick). The whole cooler is significantly heavier than any of Intels stock coolers. Here's a pic (pay no attention to the oxidation on the copper.. the guy obviously never uses it):

[​IMG]

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

this is the one for the Core 2 Extreme X6800...
    [​IMG]

5. Tipstaff

Interesting. See the design of the copper? That is exactly like the other 8xx/9xx copper cooler I mentioned (well.. minus the blue fan), which is a stacked copper circle upon a larger copper circle. It even has the 4 notches in the bottom copper piece.

Thanks, Panging. This is good to know. Well.. good for me anyways. I know the temps each of those coolers can dissapte, and how noisey they can get. This gives me a good idea what case to choose depending on what CPU/heatsink I use. Now I can add the Core 2 coolers to that list.

6. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

here are some more info about stock Intel coolers of the Core 2's processors that you might be interested in...

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea where you can get a case sticker for these? The Intel Inside program seems to be defunct now.

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

wish I knew you where looking as I took pics of mine :D before i seated it on
    my AB9 Pro ;)

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

just wanted to let you know your new Signature is awesome....

10. Tipstaff

Nope. However, you could make your own from the logos on Intels site HERE (note, below the logos on the page a links to 2 zip files, and are for Photoshop EPS files).

11. Necrosis

Eh, two things I don't do because I don't do them well.

1. Woodworking
    2. Any thing graphical

You can have them printed..but that would be a little bit illegal.

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

thanks ;)

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

just heard that Asus has a new Intel P965 chipset motherboard which is named "P5B-E" http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1347&modelmenu=1

this new P5B-E board uses Intel P965 + ICH8R chipsets (instead of ICH8 which is using by the older P5B),
    this board also include Firewire supports (which i didn't see it on the P5B's spec).

i cannot get a hand on this board atm, but i'm sure it should soon be made available in every area.
    and i think, when it's available it should cost about the same as the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (which is as of now the top-end model of the P965+ICH8R chipset board of gigabyte's "S" series) and also, the abit AB9 Pro. i, however, would like to see this happens this way, since as of now the top-end model of the Asus P5B series which is the "P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP", include the next model "P5B Deluxe" are both to be sold in my area at a price set quite too high... to be considered when i just like the board that i'm buying to have the ICH8R chipset and Firewire supports on it.

look at the P5B-E pic there... it has a good free space surrounding the CPU slot (also, at where the NB/SB chips are located), which will be for using a better third-party CPU heatsink and bigger fan... its component parts and layouts looks simple enough, which i like it. i think this board is most likely to be manufacturerd in mainland China, just like the older P5B model, or not having a Made in Taiwan on the board like i've seen in the P5B Deluxe's ones...
    [​IMG]

i also heard that Gigabyte will soon have (or may be already have) a new top-end i975x chipset board that's fully support C2D's/C2E and other Intel core's processors that will be available in future, which's as of now the Gigabyte's do not have it in their i975x chipset series board.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  14. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Yeah seems the mobo manufactures are taking there time getting C2D motherboards out.I'm still waiting to see the 590SLI-Intel chipset appear on a retail board.

15. Necrosis

I haven't seen any of the boards for sale Lakota, but have seen some reviewed.

16. Tipstaff

While I've yet to actually see one, Tiger Direct has ('supposed to have) the Asus P5N32-SLI SE board, as well as a Core 2 X6800 combo deal. What's sick is that these guys charge nearly $60 more for that board, and the Asus P5W DH Deluxe than anyone else does.

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

P5W DH Deluxe's price is very stable now. and i think, its price will stay and still like this for quite a while from now,
    Not like the DFI 975X/G, its price has been dropped a lot from it first hits the market.

18. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

That is because it sucks in terms of overclocking...:p

19. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

yep i think so too, its price is already drop like 30-35%...
    i think, DFI will probably have a new i975x based board in their lan party series soon and it should be better than this infinity serie one.

20. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

If i remember correctly there will be no further i975x chipset boards from DFI. There will be a P965 lanparty board as well as a RD600 lanparty board.

Also the P5B-E uses a newer revision P965C2 chipset, fixes a few problems and possibly might clock even higher than the C1s.