Conroe Support

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Necrosis, May 24, 2006.

1. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i like to correct some of my info that i've posted earlier in this, which i just found out by myself that the ICH8R's specs has been updated from the previously document that i used to read months ago.

the ICH8R do not support upto 6 drives in RAID0 setups, but only 4 drives can be supported.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

btw, Asus has added many new motherboards to the "P5B" (Intel 965 chipset family) series board, as well as a few high-performance or their top-end desktop/workstation products that based on i975x chipsets, as i just saw them on the Asus's sites.
    Intel, itself, that uses 965/963 chipset family are also out on the market, i've seen some of their boards that are using ICH8 (base) are selling at a low prices.

i've never get used with the Gigabyte name, didn't like it before and even now i still don't like when they uses a very thin PCB board, as it does not look like it'll hold a heavy processor's heatsink+fan. but, however, Gigabyte makes a very good board today, very stable board, cool, good BIOS setup program, very good BIOS updated and all... anyway, as i heard and have mentioned earlier in this... there'll be a new i975x-based board from this company.. it will be in the top-line of the S series board, with using something xxx-DS5 as its model. i really like to see what news and what it'll be on this new board.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  3. moeness86

moeness86 Member

plz this is reallly buggy ..
    and i dont get straight answers for this particular question ..

now i use a 945P mobo for Pentium D 950 "that's a conroe , right ?" , would there be any performance
    improvements if i shift to 975 or 965 , knowing that all of the setup will remain the same ?

and is there any other important non-performance pros in favour of the 965 over the 945P in general ?

and since they have been around for a while , i think maybe u can give me a recommendation for mobos in each case :rolleyes:
    that would do the trick 4 now
    , thx in advance

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  5. moeness86

moeness86 Member

this answers a lot :D
    i'm seriosly very grateful

though a bit offtopic , but i have to choose bet. x1600 pro and the 7600 GS , but the Ati thing is significantly cheaper in here so am i losing a lot ?

do u expect either to be crippled card soon ?
    all that matters is that it runs games @ 800*600 or 1024*786 at 25fps with moderate details for about 2 years

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  6. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

D 950 isn't a conroe,it is a dual processor,but the "conroe" isn't a pentium D,it's just a Core 2 Duo.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Which card to buy? Well, here's the order in performance (and this is based on using those cards personally, as well as different reviews I've read): 7600GT, X1600XT, 7600GS, X1600 Pro. The only time I'd probably pick the X1600Pro over the 7600GS is if the X1600Pro was the 512mb version, but in truth I'd still pick the 7600GS over it.

Of note is that the X1600XT and 7600GS have a sort of back and fourth competition going on. In some OpenGL games, such as Quake 4, COD, and others, the 7600GS wins. In almost everything else, the X1600XT wins. Pump the resolution up, and the card will do even better over 7600GS set to the same rez. You might even find that you can add a bit more eyecandy (not much, but some). If you can afford the extra money though, get the 7600GT instead. It will last you a lot longer than the other said cards. Otherwise, following the order of cards I've placed them in is a good way to base your purchase on.

Here are 2 articles I'd suggest looking at: ONE and TWO.

It all really depends on the games. If you buy top end games year round, then you might find that the card won't last longer than a year. Both the 7600GS and X1600 Pro could be considered the low - midlow end now. So, realistically, anything past that one year mark, and you might be stretching things, or at the very least you will start to see the cards age showing through.

Remember this too: by the end of next year companies will probably have moved over to Vista as their primary OS for gaming, and even before that you will start seeing DX10 being used as their primary API to program for.

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i have a few Pentium D's which's under 945 chipsets platforms and i have never thought of changing their existing platforms to any of the others.

i think, there aren't many Pentium D users out there who are needing to change their system platform from their existing 945 chipset to 965 chipset. unless there is a reason to do so, and i think that could be the following reason: to use more system memory or memory bandwidth; new advancement of the new I/O controller hub of the 965 chipset; new onboard Intel graphic engine that is integrated in G965 and Q965 chipsets. these will be the main reasons. or otherwise, it's simply because the existing platform which is the 945 chipset is not longer working anymore and they have to change it and when they are doing so they also chose to upgrade to the 965 chipset.

i however believe there are many Pentium D users out there who are needing to change their system platform from their existing 945 chipset to 975X... the reasons for this will be for them to be able to use dual PCIe graphics.