constant beeping noise instead of audio playback

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Sep 17, 2003.

1. gunther

gunther New Member

Noticed this issue with 3536 and updated to latest 3538 to confirm it still exists. Setting hardware acceleration to Basic fixes the crackling sound happening during Max Payne 2's video clips.

AMD XP 2000+, MSI KT3V, SBLive Value, kX 3538, Windows 2000 SP2

2. igor_levicki

igor_levicki Intel Black Belt

If this bug is still alive I wonder if Eugene read this:

3. Mooniak

Mooniak New Member

Playing MIDI helps

in my case, when I get the constant beep thing (I get it a lot when my niece plays a Neopets' platform game), a sure thing that "cures" it is to play a MIDI file; first, it randomly beeps, but after a couple of seconds, the midi starts to play normally and the constant pitch sound is gone!

4. mavlo

mavlo New Member

Well, here's what's happening to me.

There are certain times that no sound whatsoever comes from the speakers (or just that beep sound at other times). What I do (save from reseting my pc) is to close the taskbar KX icon and disable/re-enable the sound card in Device Manager. Sound comes through fine now, but... when I try to start the KX mixer, the sound output stops once again!

I have an AMD64 and SBLive.

5. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

That could be important.

If you exit kXMixer, disable / reenable the device, and then *don't* start kXMixer back up, does the problem go away?

6. mavlo

mavlo New Member

Yup, as far as I can tell.

7. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

*eyebrows raise*

If you disable / enable the device, and don't restart KX Mixer, such that the problem goes away, does it retain your DSP setup, soundfonts, and other settings? Or does it reset them?

Edit: Eugene? Are you catching this?

8. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

sounds strange... does quitting kxmixer and running 'kxctrl -reset' affect the situation in any way?
    [after / before re-launching kX Mixer?]

E.

9. HbG

HbG New Member

My first post! I've registered here a while ago so i could use the search function and find help on how the hell the dazzling range of options and features of kX should be used, and needless to say, found what i was looking for, and life was good. Then the beeping caused me to switch back to Creative's drivers again (i didn't know how to get rid of it), now i needed to record some audio and the quality was utter crap, so i'm back to kX again! Thanks for creating these wonderful drivers, Creative could learn from them. :)

So here's my report:

1. your OS/chipset/CPU/memory/BIOS version

XP Pro UK, SP2 & Hotfixes
    Via KT333
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 12.5*150=1875MHz
    2x 256MB DDR @ 300MHz
    ASUS A7V333 ACPI BIOS Revision 1017

The memory is overclocked, FSB, PCI & AGP slightly underclocked (30 & 60MHz), my system is 100% stable and running memtest86+ overnight gives no errors.

My card is a SB0102 5.1

2. whether you have a Win98/WinMe installation -- if yes, have you tried to reproduce the bug?

No.

3. whether you have a PCI latency-related settings in the BIOS (and the current values)

Yes, currently 16 cycles and PCI 2.1 compliant. I've used different settings and still had the bug.

4. whether you can reduce the amount of RAM to 128 or 256Mb (and, if yes, does it solve the issue?)

I had 768MB RAM for a while, but i can't remember if i used the kX drivers back then.

5. whether the bug is solved by clicking n-times play/pause

Yes.

6. whether the bug affects ASIO/WinMM/DirectX/Synth playback

ASIO, WinMM and DirectX are affected, have not tested synth playback.

7. (perform any tests you might find useful -- even crazy ideas!)

I've fiddled around with the dsp a bit (i've always used a custom setup with HphSp), line-in, recording and outputs seem to function fine, the beep comes straight out of the FXBus. Another idea i had was disabling my CPU's cache, but i figured i'd post here first before doing that, as it will really be a pain to test like that.

8. if you have Linux, try opensource.creative.com drivers (they were reported to be affected by the same bug, too)

Nope, sorry.

9. try enabling/disabling different PCI devices and their modes such as unused USB controllers. Or changing (temporarely) the DMA mode for the harddrives.

Sorry, not tried yet. I have enabled onboard sound, though, which also resides on the PCI bus, no change.

10. is the beeping sound affected by 'pan' and 'volume' sliders of your audio player? of the kxmixer?

Doesn't appear to be, but my DSP setup has no volume/panning controls.

Other thing's ive noticed.. Right now it's at -6.9, -7.6 dB, the frequency appears not to change when switching tracks, but the volume does.

I recently switched to a setup where i use two outputs concurrently, rear (speakers) and front (headphones). Front is the windows default playback device (kX Wave 0/1), and is mixed with all the surround channels and Midi through HphSP and two summs. Rear is connected to kX Wave 4/5, which i've remapped with the router to FXBus 12/13 (I don't need AC3 or spdif anyway). This way i can play games with full 3D audio and listen to music.

This setup is a lot more prone to beeping than the default setup, windows sounds seem to "count" rather heavily and any MSN conversation is sure to expose the bug. When this happens there is usually silence on either output and beeping on the other, when i play enough sounds to cycle the mixer once the silent output will start beeping, and two more sounds later it is back to normal. Occasionally it seems to start beeping by itself and then i have to cycle ~50 odd tracks in foobar (i didn't count) before it works again. I'm not 100% sure it works exactly this way in a repetive manner, i've only switched back to kX a few days ago.

I've recorded a sample of the beep by connecting the FXBus' output straight to the recording inputs, you can download it at http://hbg.serveftp.com/stuff/pub/thebeep.zip (4kb).

I have not been able to test with 3538 yet, i installed 3538h according to the instructions, but there was no sound on the FXBus at all. Recording and the rest of the DSP seemed to work fine, though. Fiddling with various settings and trying various outputs had no effect whatsoever.

I hope my report can be of help to you.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  10. jelencb

jelencb New Member

Soundcard: SB Live! Value (CT4670)

This is my current system, which has beeping problems. See below for my previous system.
    Driver version is 5.10.0.3534 (seems to have the rarest occurences of the beeps; i've tried 3537, but the beeps occur more frequently)

1. your OS/chipset/CPU/memory/BIOS version
    WinXP SP1; nForce2 SPP (Ultra 400); Athlon XP 2200+; 2x256MB DDR 400; BIOS fo Asus A7N8X rev. 2.00, version 1007
    2. whether you have a Win98/WinMe installation -- if yes, have you tried to reproduce the bug?
    [ it is preferred to power-down the PC before switching between WinXP(2k) and Win98/Me ]
    No Win98, sorry.
    3. whether you have a PCI latency-related settings in the BIOS (and the current values)
    -- the setting can be called 'PCI clock autodetection' and so on...
    My PnP/PCI resources are set to Auto[ESCD].
    4. whether you can reduce the amount of RAM to 128 or 256Mb (and, if yes, does it solve the issue?)
    Well, I had only one 256MB stick several months ago, the beep was still present.
    5. whether the bug is solved by clicking n-times play/pause
    (well, it is more important to check, if the bug is solved when the whole 64-voices cycle is over -- via the Analyzer)
    Mostly, yes. Sometimes a reebot was needed.
    6. whether the bug affects ASIO/WinMM/DirectX/Synth playback
    (btw, check if synth playback solves the beeping issue and if the midi notes are simultaneously affected by the bug when wave playback is invalid)
    Well, it occurs "regulary" with Winamp, Mediaplayer, BSplayer, PowerDVD. I don't play games that often but I've never experienced problems when running only a game. Only if I ran e.g. Winamp prior to playing.

My previous system was WinXP SP1; VIA KT133A chipset; Duron 800MHz/Athlon 1.33GHz; 256MB PC133 DIMM SDRAM; Motherboard was Soltek 75KAV-X, BIOS version I don't know anymore, sorry. PCI settings were also set to AUTO, if I recall correctly. The soundcard was the same, as were the drivers. In 14 months, I had no beeping problems whatsoever, and I used the soundcard much more frequently than with the current system.

As I said in my previous post (#134), Line-IN works just fine, when the soundcard is "dead".

[​IMG] THANK YOU! It works like a charm for me. The card is beeping or is muted and then, when I play any MIDI file, about 3-4 seconds of that beeping and then PRESTO, normal sound for MIDI, WAVE works too.
    It's much faster than clicking n-times play/pause. :)
    I'll try the disable/enable soundcard in device manager and quitting kxmixer next time I get the beeping noise.

11. pyrosb

pyrosb New Member

my problem with beeps is gone

i recently upgraded from 256mb of ram to 1gb and now my soundcard beeps are gone.
    just thought i'd share.

12. Nappylady

Nappylady New Member

Did you replace your old RAM with new memory, or did you add more RAM to the existing 256?

Did any of your timing / bus speed settings change?

13. pyrosb

pyrosb New Member

i replaced my old ram (Kingston 256mb DDR PC3200 CAS3) with brand new ram
    (OCZ Dual Channel Premier 2x512 DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5 3-3-7) and all my problems disappeared.
    so yes the CAS timing changed from 3 to 2.5.
    i've also run the new ram at both 333mhz ddr and its stock 400mhz ddr with no change in the beeping. (still gone)

14. Tov

Tov New Member

I've been using version 3537 for the longest time without problems. Now I lose my sound every once in a while or this high pitch noise plays but it's not beeping. Considering that I haven't changed my hardware at all in that time or any BIOS settings I'd have to say this problem has nothing to do with the drivers at all unless microsoft patched something which caused kxproject to get borked. Haven't used windows update in ages though.

15. liquidalien

liquidalien New Member

I often have this problem, but only when my printer is on. It's plugged on an USB2 card and the IRQ is share with my A1. When I swich off the printer, about 20 minutes after, the sound comes back correct.

Hope this helps.

/Fabien

16. freakyc

freakyc New Member

This is exactly what I'm seeing. Used to work great. Now the sound quits and/or I get the high pitched sound. Not sure if that's the bug being discussed by this topic or not.

17. kernelsanders

kernelsanders New Member

high pitch squeal or no sound

Not sure if this is the problem....but quite regularly with the new kx drivers
    5.10.0.3537 I get no sound at all and every now and then I get the squeals. The only way I can get sound back is to reboot. I previously used a copy of the kx drivers I downloaded about a year ago and I had the problem far less frequently. In addition I used to be able to run a midi file using the kxsoundfont and the sound would then return to normal after about 15 sec of playing it.

Im going to go on the search for some of the old kx drivers for now.....Are there any archives?

18. Corvus5

Corvus5 New Member

I had the same but finally I've resolved it and found my main reason :) I had kt133 main board and now i'm on nforce2. i'm using some sound blaster live value. I can use my system for long time without any problem however problems seams to appear after a few minutes after starting emule and using it. No other programs gives me this constant beep noise or sometimes silence. I don't remember but AFAIR closing emule doesn't fix the problem. Sound is unstable until reset. I had almost completly changed my system and the only thing the same is the driver and soundcard. Emule likes to open many file handles and deal with many connections at once. Maybe this fills the DMA buffer and soundcard jumps into problems. I'm creating my own soft for karaoke http://www.ustar.prv.pl/ . When running emule everything works, seeks properly etc. Only sound input is a beep. Yes. It somehow captures it. I'm not too sure about this. Just let me know if someone is willing to resolve this and want my help.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR New Member

I'm constantly using eMule with somehow pretty aggressive settings and i can say it never was the reason for this bug. If this was true i'd have problems every day.

There must be something else. I'm testing Kx 3538i without Kx Gameport (using native Creative Game port drivers). I thought this might be the reason for this bug. So far so good. We'll see...

20. Corvus5

Corvus5 New Member

For me it's been always the reason. Maybe there are other software which can use system resources in a way, which makes kxproject driver to behave improperly.