Continuous reboot in XP but safe mode does fine

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by geno368, Jun 25, 2009.

1. geno368

geno368 Member

I am working on an XP Prof desktop and when I turn it on it goes to the login and a little further and then single beeps and starts the boot again. I can boot in safe mode fine. I stopped the auto reboot in boot failure and got the error and blue screen "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" on the next bootup. I have run scans and cleaned up some adware with malware bytes...What should I look for now? Thanks

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Either a virus or a driver conflict if you can boot into safe mode.

Can you tell us more about your setup?

3. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Safe mode does not initialize some device drivers which means one of your device driver (not necessarily hardware) is cauzing this! first evaluate your safe mode's device manager (Disable MOST of the devices) next, boot normally and enable one device at a time + reboot... you should most probably get the faulty thing! IF NOT,

I recommend you to download "AutoRuns" program created by Mark (google it, download and run it in safe mode) In options menu, click on "Hide Microsoft entries" and "Verify Code Signatures" (this will catch the naughty app) :) and you can turn OFF all the naughty stuff from there ;)

4. edwards82

edwards82 New Member

I think you may have a ram issue this is normally the cause of this error/bsod. I had this problem a few years ago after changing/upgrading memory sticks so i would look there first , try removing one of the sticks of ram or move it into another slot. It could also be a pagefault problem make sure paging file size is set to 'system managed size'. Hope this helps ya..

5. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Try running memtest86+ to eliminite memory problems.

Otherwise it is likely a driver problem as stated above.

6. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

If you can boot into safe mode then I think you could debug the dmp files that give more details on the cause of the bsod. It may list the troublesome file(s)/cause.

You could also do a selctive startup without drivers and then keep rebooting adding one driver at a time to find a troublesome driver problem.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Not only could it be faulty memory, but it could be a faulty hard drive or file system (where the system tried to write data , bad device driver, bad motherboard, or something as simple a bad IDE/SATA cable. The error describes a problem the OS had paging data from memory to the hard drive, either to the page file, or somewhere else on the disk (such as if it tried saving data to a bad sector).

Do yourself a favor, and do a search for a disc called Hiren's BootCD (9.8 or higher will do). Within the BootCD portion under Hard Drive Tools is a tool called "HDD Regenerator". Run that, and let it do it's thing. Afterwards, try booting the system into Windows. If it fails, reboot the system with the Hiren's BootCD, and this time boot into Mini XP, and run CHKDSK from within the bootcd. If when you boot up Windows it wants to run CHKDSK don't let it (it's the worst thing you could do at the moment). Do the same thing as I just described, and instead run CHKDSK from within the bootdisk.

While your at it you can also do as Partizan (and others) has suggested with running memtest which is thankfully also on the Hiren's BootCD.

8. geno368

geno368 Member

Thanks for all the help....here is my current situation:
    I have eliminated virus or malware problems. I think it is a driver or device. I am doing a chkdsk right now..so far no prob...I have swapped out the memory sticks and run each seperately..same result. I would think it wouldn't boot in safe with bad memory???
    Anyway, I don't know how to set system managed size on pageing file..need instruction...
    If it boots in safe, why would you suspect drivers or devices running in that mode to be bad?
    last, how do I do a selective startup and add devices one at a time?
    Thanks again

9. Tipstaff

A lot of device drivers don't load in Safe Mode (pretty much why they call it that). Also, some anti-virus software won't load either (NOD32, for instance, doesn't run in Safe Mode). On the same note, some trojans/malware won't run in Safe Mode too, which is one of the reasons why it's recommended to scan for them in Safe Mode first.

As for Pagefile: Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced tab | under Performance click the Settings button | now click the Advanced tab | then click the Change button under Virtual Memory. You should see the option to do System Managed size in there.

As for selective startup: I wouldn't do this for devices just yet, but instead for startup applications. For this, click Start | Run | and type in MSCONFIG (doesn't have to be caps, btw). From here click on the Startup tab. Within the list that pops up uncheck everything. If you have an anti-virus software installed be sure to disconnect from the Internet (unplug the ethernet cable) you can bet one or more of the options you are going to disable will be for your AV software. Once that's done just reboot the system, and if it boots into Normal mode go back into MSCONFIG, and start checking a 1 thing on at a time, rebooting each time (you can also try doing more than 1, maybe 2 or 3 things, but just keep track so that if it stops working you can backtrack).

10. geno368

geno368 Member

thanks again for the help. It took 5 tries for it to boot in safe because it kept stopping after the mup load. I went to the startup tab in msconfig and unchecked everything. Same result..no regular boot...now what?

11. cozumel

What happens when you disable mup.sys? Rebooting at the mup.sys load appears to be a common fault. There was a ton of stuff on google. Here is first one I clicked on.
    Also, did you try the other suggestions listed in the above posts (memtest, debugging dmp file etc etc).

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

lol, coz........... I was just about to post that same link.

Can you say redundant ;)

13. geno368

geno368 Member

how do I debug the dmp files? I did run the memtest

14. cozumel

15. geno368

geno368 Member

Tipstaff, I have that on cd, but windows doesn't recognize the file "hddtools.uha" I went on the web and couldn't get any help on that file type..one site said it was because my registry may be corrupted. Is there a good safe registry checker out there?

16. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Did you try "Autoruns" program I mentioned? (CLICK here to download) This is a very powerful program which can turn off device drivers, software device drivers etc that creates problems Also , You can edit your BOOT.INI file and add /SOS /BootLOG (Can be done through MSCONFIG directly) this will get you the visual detail of what is crashing during Boot and in LOG.

Registry errors can also trigger crash but since you're able to boot into safe mode, it is obvious that its one of the boot up item, or startUp item (either of ways, autoruns will do everything here).

EDIT: BTW UHA files are compressed files (like ZIPs) and hiren has added program called "Autorun.exe" which unCompresses these files and executes them (via command lines). If you already have Hiren's boot CD, you already have AUTORUNS program there!! E:\HBCD\WinTools\Autorun.exe (where E: is suppose to be your CD ROM drive). This is NOT the autorunS it is only autorun.exe that starts hiren's boot CD! Once you start this, click on Menu > Startup > Autoruns

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  17. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

i agree just had it happen to me last went out and got a new hard drive now everything is working fine...

18. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Prevention is better then cureĀ®

The next time you re-install XP, boot into MiniXP and create ZIP/RAR/7z of entire Window+Program Files+ Documents and settings+ Root files :) Everytime you tweak the system, add new hardware, nice settings, just delete old backup and create new one!

Doesn't this save you from viruses? errors? reinstalls? optimizing? setting windows? etc?

19. Tipstaff

The Hiren's disc is a bootable CD, so be sure to change your bios so that it boots up off of your optical drive first, making sure the Hiren's disc is in there. If you have one of the newer Hiren's dics, once you boot up off of it you will see 3 options: boot the hard drive, boot off the CD, and boot into mini-xp. HDD Regenerator, and Memtest are on the CD portion, and to do the chkdsk you run the mini-xp portion.

20. geno368

geno368 Member

Oxtie, please tell me how to do this. I plan to do a system recovery, but would like to save his stuff