cool cases : UK your opinions please?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by HardwareHeaven, Dec 9, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Guys im bored with my cool thermaltake xaser III case, and im aiming for a new case shortly, so im looking any opinions from you guys in the UK who have seen some cool cases.

im aiming for noise levels (meaning quiet), as this xaser III with all 7 case fans on is pretty loud, and as I said im bored more than anything else and would probably move up to a full tower server size case.

craig was showing me http://www.coolcasemods.com/ this site but nothing there has really tickled my fancy and ill probably go with something like this Antec PlusView 1000AMG Metallic Gray File Server Case - No PSU (CA-002-AT) and add Globalwin Sapphire Super Silent 19dBA 520W ATX Power Supply (CA-004-GW) this PSU (or the one at bottom 22db £30 less).

My trusty sparkle 400w is a few years old and I fancy putting a new silent PSU in there so those are the highest quality ive seen (my mate has one and you wouldnt even know its on).

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

the links above are overclockers.co.uk. but there are some nice cases on the other link. for me i like the clear cases.

4. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I can't stand the acryllic cases :p

5. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

im more than happy with my xaser case ... so way much better than my old one :D

6. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

I've got the very same Antec. The noise levels aren't too bad but then again I haven't heard that many quiet cases either. My 80mm fans all run at a lower voltage and I added one in the case's roof, the window in the side is shocking though - it vibrates like hell as soon as you attach a fan(even a quiet one) and ups the dB's. It could have been though out better as well with things like a removable m/b tray and you have to remove the graphics card every time you need to do anything with the HDDs.
    Still, I've owned much worse in the past.

7. HardwareHeaven

I quite like the Antec Sonata Piano Black Quiet Case it uses 2 high quality 120mm fans which is always a good thing for noise levels (comes with a 380 watt PSU which would be automatically binned though and part of the cost). http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Antec_160.html its over here with a link under it to a review on arstech site. only issue is the damn size of it, too small...... still not sure what to get. I really do value the noise levels now, much more so than I used to. A silent rig is a pleasure. My server is so much enjoyable to use, as its virtually silent.

Ill settle on a case tonight ! keep the ideas coming !

8. HardwareHeaven

Re: Re: cool cases : UK your opinions please?

thanks for the comments, I hate 80mm fans and if I had a choice id stay away from them altogether, its about time more companies starting using high quality 120mm fans in cases, so much more efficient and quiet generally. Interesting comment about attaching the fan to the window causing noise. Pretty nasty indeed ------- back to fan noise id much rather mod the case with a 120 mm rear and a 120 mm top nothing on the site.

I used to own Lian li, very sexy cases http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li.html like the Lian Li PC 70 on that page , I might start looking at them on overclockers and seeing the total cost with PSU, hella costly though :( , id much rather put the money into a top of the line PSU than spending another £100 on the case alone. Chieftec do some pretty nice server cases, much like antecs.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Chieftec_Cases_128.html

9. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

Re: Re: Re: cool cases : UK your opinions please?

That is what I have, Chieftec Dragon DX-01PLD Midi Tower - Golden Purple (CA-015-CT). Only difference is mine has a window on the side and no side fan. This is my 2nd Chieftec and I love them. To me very well laid out and have GREAT cooling abilities....
    :D

10. Bicka

Bicka Active Member

11. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

If you're bored...

Why not spend some money on Minuet?! Or A shuttle PC. I think it'd be a fun lil project.

12. chris285

chris285 New Member

i love my aluminium chieftec dragon, however thats basically the case u have :p

13. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

I have the Antec 1000 AMG but without the window! Excellent value for money!:cool:

14. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

My CoolerMaster ATC casing still looks pretty good and the fans are near-silent. PC is quieter than my laptop as the maximum dB rating for all of my fans is 12 :D

15. WarGun

WarGun New Member

This is my case and i love it...Antec Plus 1080AMG, this thing is built like a tank!...lol no vibes. The only thing i dont like are the cheap fans that the case comes with...so im gonna get some good duel ball bearing fans to fix that...also comes with a 430w Truepower PSU. And if you want a window for it antec sells them as well.http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1258

16. fornicatarachnid

fornicatarachnid Clanless

A workmate of mine recently bought this case and he never shuts up about how impressed he is with it. He is a perfectionist so if he says it is a good case then I have no doubt you would be satisfied if you bought one. :)

17. kinetic

Yeah, I remember reading a review of this case in PC Format! They said the build quality was excellent and the piano black finish made it stand out in a crowd!:cool:

18. fornicatarachnid

I think its that black finish he likes most about it, its sooo cool :cool:

19. kinetic

Who's your mate?:hmm: Elton John?:D

20. fornicatarachnid

LOL ! :lol: