Corsair HX650W Power Supply Review @ DH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 23, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review here
    Today we are going to have a look at one of the latest additions to the HX series, Corsairs high performance series of power supplies which are aimed towards demanding enthusiasts, the HX650W unit. The specifications of the HX650W are considerably superior to those of its 620W counterpart and it also comes with an 80Plus Bronze certification and a 7 year long warranty.

2. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

A real nice PSU, like the whole HX serie :)

3. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

It is a nice PSU, What's the difference between the TX and HX lines, are the HX more high end load based (like crossfire etc) and better 12 volt rails? Just trying to make sure I understand the difference.

4. Orville

Orville New Member

Sorcerer,

I wish you would ferret out a 350W to 450W 80Plus Gold PSU that is at least mostly modular to replace the medusa PSU in the famous Silverstone SGO6 box. I want to use the box, but without all those coils of hair that stifle the air flow. My appreciation in advance.

5. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

Hello SeraphicSorcerer,

Actually *sometimes* the greatest difference between the HX and the TX series is that the HX is a modular unit whereas the TX is not. When they are based on the same base design, the HX *may* have a couple of different (better) components and therefore it *may* be a little more stable and with higher electrical efficiency. That only goes for two units of the same power output and base design. For example the TX650W and HX650W share the same base design and still the HX650W performs better, whereas the HX850W is a completely different and significantly superior design compared to the TX850W and thus easily outperforms it.

6. SeraphicSorcerer

Well, from what I've seen that while the HX is claimed to be High quality line, sometimes from what I've seen, The TX edges out, while occasionally the HX comes out on top, And I've also seen a few HX lines that aren't modular, Which is Why I don't understand why they have a TX and HX line to begin with.

Basically I plan on getting a 5970, at which point I'll be upgrading my Powersupply to meet those needs, and as such, I was wondering which of these power supplies to go, I was looking at the 750, but as of late 850-950 And at the top end there was almost no discernable difference, however, I'll take your word for it.

I've just always had bad luck with "high end PSUs" Every enermax I've ever installed in a machine has actually exploded. So maybe I've got a shocking personality. Even my last PSU in this machine failed without warning and ended up being replaced by a midrange thermaltake, which actually has run longer.
    I am basically just wondering which PS to get with the 5970, and hoping to figure it out via asking the question :)

And I noticed your use, of may and sometimes, To me that says the lines are *almost* the exact same, except they can *almost* guarantee, the HX will be better.

7. HardwareHeaven

well if its of any use, I am using a TX650w to power the following.

Corei7 920 @ 4.1ghz
    6GB of DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    Sapphire Vapor X 5870
    2x1TB HD's in Raid 0
    Asus Rampage Gene II.
    DVD Dual rewriter
    Corsair H50 Watercooler.

Its very quiet and never gets hot. An amazing PSU, but it won't handle dual GFX configurations as it only has 2 PCI power connectors (well I guess it would if you had lower end boards).

8. SeraphicSorcerer

So if I plan on going dual 5970, I'd want to go 850HX? :)

9. HardwareHeaven

yeah you need one with 4 pci connectors. thats the higher bracket PSUs like the 850w.

Dual 5970s? you might want to check out some earplugs as well :x

10. SeraphicSorcerer

I am going to be waiting for Sapphire's Custom Vapor-X solution, but yes, I wear earplugs all the time. :)

Plus I have noticed with the Raven 2 everything is cooler and it's at the back of my desk I never notice it, I run my 4870 fan at 75% 24/7 and it only mildly whines, so if I play a game, i win.

11. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

All HX units are modular, all TX units aren't; if you ever saw a HX unit which isn't modular, it probably wasn't a Corsair product.

HX units will outperform TX units of the same power output, even if very slightly. That goes only when comparing units of the same exact output and not for example the TX950W to the HX620W.

I use the word "may" a lot because I was taught to think like an engineer; "you should never be too sure of anything." :D

Seriously, I used it a lot because comparing different products isn't as simple as it sounds. Some are based on the same base design, some are entirely different builds and from different OEMs, others are based on the same design but tweaked with a different approach in mind. As I've said above, some of the HX and TX units which share the same output are based on a similar design while other units are entirely different. When they are based on a similar design, the HX series unit tends to have a few slightly better components. It is not logical to simply say "Ok, the HX units are better than the TX units. Period". Each product is designed to please a certain audience.

SeraphicSorcerer likes this.