Covid 19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I got two university degrees there, I love the place. If I were rich (and if Brexit wasn't a thing) I would love to live there.

2. Trusteft

Well, my aunt just died. The funeral is tomorrow, but due to the virus and the lock down, I won't be able to attend . Only her sister, my mother, and her son are allowed to. She has a daughter too, but she is not ...she can't attend for her own sake.

She did not die from the virus, her heart gave up after long battle with cancer. (smoking related)

I have to say, I was hoping for something better this decade, so far I am not satisfied.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

My condolences, Trusteft. Aunts can be very special. Like some small kid said: "I love my mother's sister more than my own. My mother's sister is my aunt and my sister is not anything to me."

Trusteft likes this.
  4. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Ahh hell mate sorry to hear that my condolences. :(

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Sorry to hear that, man...

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

So sorry, man!

Trusteft likes this.
  8. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Yeah it's eerily quiet in the city here in Saskatoon too, especially at night, what happened during the coal strikes in the 80s? Did people just go home?

I'm so sorry @Trusteft, that is terrible news. :(

My deepest and sincerest condolences go out to you.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

It was a little different to now but was the first time in my life that I had to really go without stuff or things became hard to find,The Village I grew up in (ystalyvera in the swansea valley) was a real mining village probably 6 outta 10 people employed by the local mine, during the strike (Started in March of 84 went on just over 1 year) there were no wages coming in and damn the village as a whole suffered because of it.

I was about 13 at the time and it must have been about 3 months in that police started appearing at picket lines and on the street at night, we were encouraged to stay at home, we had nothing eat, nothing to spend on it, nowhere to go and nothing to do

My Dad had been a miner and he had suffered a heart attack underground and pensioned off (he died a year later in 77) so my mum was one of the lucky few that was given coal by the mine as part of her Miners wife pension, we made it through the year by selling small 3 lb bags of that coal to neighbours for them to heat their water once a week to bath and shave etc ..lots of people had their gas and electricity cut off ... Jobs lost homes lost

I see some similarities in the hoarding that occurred hthe shops having nothing on the shelves, the streets being empty and the police out in force but unsure of where that law they follow is at the moment. The flipside is this massive "we are all in this together" that I am seeing in my local community, we have street Champions 1 nominated person from each street that will do the shopping for the vulnerable.

My local shopkeeper was at the warehouse at 1 in the morning (opens at 8) to make sure he could get what he needs, gardens for elderly being cu for free a real sense of coming together

its the same but very different

Trusteft likes this.
  10. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Sorry to read this, also sad that during these current times that its also a minimal service also. :(

Trusteft likes this.
  11. Calliers

Man you've been through some hard times, things got real bad back then. Glad that you guys could bounce back from it.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  12. Trusteft

Calliers likes this.
  13. Dyre Straits

Found out today that the cashier where I work was tested a came back positive for COVID-19. She's recovering but has been out already for 2 weeks.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  14. Calliers

That's insane. Hopefully she didn't spread it to anyone else, and you are not in any danger.

15. Dyre Straits

Being that we are an "essential business" [auto dealership/service] we are dealing with people coming and going throughout the day. It's not nearly as busy now as it would normally be. But, when the cashier needs someone to take the bank bag to the bank, I'm the one she calls. So, I do get in close proximity to her and handle the same bank bag.

So far [knock on wood] I don't have any symptoms at all...which means nothing from the standpoint as to whether I have been infected or not. But, we are practicing all the distancing and sanitizing matters throughout the shop.

And, it's so slow that several of the techs (some call them mechanics) are actually playing toss the sandbag games out back. :)

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  16. Calliers

That's good to know. You know, I think this infection basically was needed to allow us to take a big step back and just return to simple living. Many people were caught in the rat race and forgot about the important things which money can't buy.

arb65912 likes this.
  17. Dyre Straits

Yeah... I'm thinking... I could have saved those 350 hours in AC:Odyssey for times like these. ;)

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  18. Calliers

Like I told @MIG-31, one word, backlog. Go through all the games you have bought over time on the various platforms and play the heck out of them, you're being given a chance now, so why not? LOL! :D

19. Calliers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That's unsettling. Still, if she's been out for two weeks, you should be golden.

arb65912, Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.