Covid 19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Apparently some shops here were still allowed to be open, small (not inside malls etc). This changes the day after tomorrow when even them will shut down, at least access to the public. They are allowed to stay open for selling over the net etc.

Part of the public is not taking it too seriously, at least around Athens, but what else is new...
    Borders/traffic with more countries has been blocked. Borders with every land neighboring countries, including Italy, has been shut down other than cargo related. Not sure what is going on with Turkey. Confusing.
    Also all people coming from abroad are ordered to stay at home for two weeks after arrival.

Things are getting tighter, and I have no problem with that. Saving lives is the number one priority and I am happy to say that the government here looks to believe so too.

Meanwhile, from what I remember, just yesterday there were 370 deaths in Italy alone because of this virus.
    Here in Greece we have so far 4 deaths, ages 53 to 92.
    The 53 yo was at least first announced to not have another health issue before.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

That bit alone is very worrying :(

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

We've declared a 90 days state of emergency. Most places are still open, though with limitations. I'm working from home (as of tomorrow), but not everyone is so lucky. I know people who definitely could do their work from home, but their companies are just... run by some awful people.

BTW, we seem to have forbidden 65+ people from leaving their homes under the pain of a 1200€ fine, so my mom apparently isn't allowed to go to her dentist appointment. :mad:

EDIT: Also, they are winding down public transport, even though, like I mentioned, a bunch of people still has to use it. Our government does not see or understand or care at all how ordinary people live.

4. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

This should be interesting if the UK does (And probably will) introduce self-isolation for the over 70's.

A) I live with my Dad of 87 who has Alzheimer's
    B) He has a underlining health issue's, One Heart intake is blocked.. Other Meds for such things like Gout, and is on antibiotics for life to keep another infection under control.
    C) We are now having a Care Plan which will be starting within the next few days, To make sure he has a wash & Breakfast for the time being..
    D) I am Self-Employed, and can not afford to self-Isolate :(

Untitled.png

It will be tough couple of months ahead..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  5. IvanV

Yeah. Supposedly my dad should be staying at home as well and with my parents being divorced and on different sides of the city, and it's not really like I'm on vacation either, ugh...

BTW, I was thinking about it for some time and this has nudged me towards rejoining the Folding at Home effort. I haven't set any project preference, but I did get assigned a COVID work unit. BTW, I read that the response to the recent call to join was so good that they ran out of WUs at one point (and indeed I couldn't get one earlier today). The laptop seems to be taking it well enough. On the "Silent" profile (which is silent because it limits the CPU frequency), the GPU hovers around 62-63°C and the CPU stays around 60. BTW, I tried the "Normal" mode and it just let the CPU shoot up to 4GHz, which made it shoot up to 90 degrees and even the GPU got up to 70, yet the folding process didn't accelerate one bit!

EDIT: I'll also try running the client on the desktop. The GPU there should do well.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Due to COVID-19, I'm on forced leave for about 72 hours. And, that could get extended by the end of the time frame. At least, I'm on PAID leave for now.

In my area: Metro Atlanta, GA, many of the restaurants and fast food places are going "drive thru only"...with no dining in allowed. We also, just a few hours ago, got advice...not mandatory yet...to limit groups to no more than 10 people.

7. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

This whole thing is getting out of hand, two confirmed cases so far here in Saskatoon apparently.

8. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

Went to Whole Foods today... no meat, no milk, no regular bread, no canned foods (almost), no rice pasta and water....

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm glad I like Tropical Trail Mix. Although, I might not so much after this is all over with.

[​IMG]

arb65912 and Trusteft like this.
  10. Mr Cairo

News today says avoid Bars, restaurants and clubs etc and by the weeks end we may have lost all public transport, long term fallout now has been revised to 10 months not 6 and UK deaths a possible quarter million

Personally I really have not been worried about this even though I sit in the high risk category, I have Asthma and Hypertension, my wife is the same as she has Rheumatoid arthritis so a compromised immune system due to her meds

But we are not worried too much yet but do have my son to think of ... really don't think he is ready to lose either of us

Cant believe im starting to think this way

Like arb we are staring to see the UK shops starting to empty

I predict Martial Law and food rationing in about 6 weeks

arb65912 likes this.
  11. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

I hope it will not become a necessity. People were officially told to buy all they can for two weeks so obviously shelves are empty at the stores.

Since you can not stock certain things and others there is limit you would stock I hope in couple weeks we will see stores not so empty anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed.

12. Mr Cairo

catch 22 people know that others are stocking up so they go to get pasta as well

there is no pasta

they hear that pasta is back in stock

they buy 3 times much as they need

pasta is out of stock

people start to panic

it wont improve with common sense

arb65912 and IvanV like this.
  13. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

yes.... like feedback , positive one, worse and worse

14. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I watched an interesting interview (well, panel type of talk) of a scientist here. He seemed very knowledgeable, then again I am not into viruses so what do I know.
    Basic points he talked about.

1. It will mostly go away in mid May.
    2. By October at the latest we will have a cure.
    3. It will return by November, but it will be much easier to handle it till there is a vaccine some time next year or so.
    4. Doing (the government here) everything they can to restrict much movement and increasing social distancing is what will help decrease the size of the bell (deaths and seriously ill from it). The government is doing everything right.
    5. Now, he was talking mostly with Greece as the focus, but I assume that in general what he said applies to other countries too.
    6. He was not very kind about Boris and Trump regarding their handling of it.
    Time will tell.

I am trying to restrict my own outside movement as much as possible. I haven't gone out since Friday 13th March, and in theory I could stay inside for another week before I run out of supplies. The other issue I have is garbage. I have two bin bags full and I want to get rid of them. Unlike some countries, we don't have a single day of the week they pick up garbage. Every day/night the cleaning crews pick up garbage , unless there is a strike or whatever.
    I don't feel comfortable with having them inside the apartment for days. Usually as soon as one is full, I leave it at the appropriate spot.

15. IvanV

8PM curfew for everyone. :/

16. Mr Cairo

Where ?

17. IvanV

Serbia. Should have mentioned. Also, public transport to be abolished in 2-3 days.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  18. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

I think it is not about outside but rather about being around , possible sick people.
    Unless you taking your trash to the public gathering.;)

Seriously, I was convinced that as long as you are staying away from people who might carry the virus and sneeze or cough, you should be fine.
    Hey, crazy times anyway, we do not know as much as we wish we knew...

19. IvanV

The outside is, generally speaking, fine. It's different if you live in an apartment building, though, where who knows how many people and of what health state have passed through the building, touched doors etc, and generally in an urban environment where you're more likely to bump into people after leaving your home.

Oh, and apparently we're considering banning social networks for spreading fake news. I think a certain someone has been waiting for this his whole life.

Trusteft likes this.
  20. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

*Cough*... @Judas ...*cough*...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    IvanV likes this.